Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kashii_Ai
fschmidt
Are you required to follow the Ten Commandments?

Um . . . yes? It kind of goes without saying that I would?? In general if you're a Christian you're required to follow the Ten Commandments. I've found that they're like 10x easier to follow when you take Romans 13:8-10 to heart though. biggrin

So do you keep the sabbath?

Widow

Tipsy Dog

Kashii_Ai

Does it bother you at all that Christianity is being water downed from loving God to loving our neighbor?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Kuroko and the Lamb
Kashii_Ai

Does it bother you at all that Christianity is being water downed from loving God to loving our neighbor?

Matthew 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Widow

Tipsy Dog

rmcdra
Kuroko and the Lamb
Kashii_Ai

Matthew 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

And you believe that passage is proof God wants you to love your neighbor more than him?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Kuroko and the Lamb
rmcdra
Kuroko and the Lamb
Kashii_Ai

Matthew 25

And you believe that passage is proof God wants you to love your neighbor more than him?
It's one and the same, this passage would suggest.

Widow

Tipsy Dog

rmcdra
Kuroko and the Lamb
rmcdra
Kuroko and the Lamb
Kashii_Ai

Matthew 25

It's one and the same, this passage would suggest.

This passage just exemplifies that faith without works is dead. James 2:17. If one never went ahead and cared for those less fortunate, then they never loved or obeyed God to begin with. They weren't disciples of Christ. They had no heart for God, thus they were kicked out of his Kingdom.

Luke 14: 26-27
Quote:
If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

I understand Jesus isn't commanding us to hate our neighbor, rather he is emphasizing the great difference between our devotion and love to him and the people around us. Jesus is directing us to make Him the priority in our life.

Matthew 22:37-40
Quote:
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Loving God is our first command, our first priority, loving our neighbor is second.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Kuroko and the Lamb

Luke 14: 26-27
Quote:
If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

I understand Jesus isn't commanding us to hate our neighbor, rather he is emphasizing the great difference between our devotion and love to him and the people around us. Jesus is directing us to make Him the priority in our life.
And what does that mean, to make Jesus a priority in one's life?

Quote:
Matthew 22:37-40
Quote:
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Loving God is our first command, our first priority, loving our neighbor is second.
And what does it mean to love God?

Hilarious Genius

1. If you accept the viewpoint that it is entirely possible God does not exist by virtue of the inability to disprove the hypothesis, can we not accept the following possibilities as equally valid:

- Many of the miracles and events of the Bible are either fable and folklore, or have an explanation that can be accounted for within the realm of the natural world?
- The amount of multiplicity involved with faith-based belief (for example, God exists AND He is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent AND He has a plan for you AND failure to follow that plan will result in eternal suffering) expresses either a formalized system of social engineering or can exist as ethical guidelines outside the existence of said deity (for example, love thy neighbor is great advice, whether or not you're going to be on fire forever if you don't)?
- The division of faith in God and good works demands to acceptance of the belief structure in full, rather than attempting to achieve general social good without creating an infrastructure of worshippers, and therefore more resembles a cult of enlightenment rather than a pathway for each individual to seek on their own without reliance on central leadership? Therefore, should we not accept that good words are more important than faith, because faith without works is nothing, while works without faith still result in a better world, ignoring the argument that "a world without God is the worst of all possible worlds," which is debatable at best?

2. With an understanding that God controls all of reality, including the primal forces of nature, or at the very least summoned them into being and they act in accordance to His will (if you want to be reductive about it anyway), explain innocent children being killed in earthquakes, floods, and other indifferent and impartial natural forces. We either accept that God acts directly within our world and causes these incidents to happen, which sounds like he willfully kills innocents with no rational explanation within the confines of the Bible; or, and the more likely scenario, He does not interact with our world directly, meaning that earthquakes and floods happen "just because."

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kashii_Ai
Sorry I was gone for a minute, Gaia was flipping the hell out there. ""XD

Quote:
It was your defense of christianity. And I obviously didnt assume it when your statement implies it.

Lol, it wasn't really a defense, just more of explaining why some Christians act the way they do, or believe what they do, and stating the fact that religion isn't a 100% answer to everything and not a proper excuse to give others a hard time.

I think you may be reading to much into things or looking for an argument where there isn't one. If I believed Christianity was the only right way, I would have attacked you for your beliefs by now and I wouldn't have the 'no prosecution' rule up there in the first post.

Quote:
Religion may not always mean a lack of rationality, but there is a tendency to be more willing to accept irrational things. Faith, by definition, is the belief in something without any rational evidence.

Very true--rationality wouldn't make much sense for every aspect of religion, since part of it depends on faith.

Quote:
One of the biggest issues is Religion precisely because many use it as a moral compass. They use it to make choices about things in their life which generally have no basis in reality and then try to use this "compass" to point others in the right direction

YOU FORGOT A PERIOD DEKEWK okay I'm done. ""XD

Very true. And it's really sad, because they're not using the reason they were born with. Religion isn't supposed to be easy and I think people assume it's suddenly easy so they do stupid dumb things with it and I could go on a really long rant about the stupidity of religious people but I'm not gonna. ""XD

As I've spent time studying theology and history, I've found that a lot of 'extra stuff' has been tacked onto Christianity throughout history, most notably in the Dark Ages when the Catholic Church was at its height of power and most people weren't educated. There was no one there to be like 'hey yo, I think you might be abusing your power' because they either didn't care or didn't realize it. Aaaaand theeeeeeeeen we have a great big clusterf-ck of mistakes and upset people. biggrin

The Ten Commandments are a great thing to look at for a stripped-down version of Christian doctrines--the teachings of Christ from the Gospel are also good. If you examine each teaching, most of them are things we expect most decent people to follow anyway.

Regardless of religion, it's universally agreed that murdering someone, cheating on your partner(s), being a defiant child to your parents, shoplifting or breaking and entering, lying, and being petty and jealous a good person do not make, even more so if the person KNOWS they're doing something wrong and then goes and does it anyway.

But basically my point is we f-cked up our own religion because we let our pride and greed get the best of us, sadly, and what a mess that's created.

"YOU FORGOT A PERIOD DEKEWK okay I'm done. XD"

:p

Oddly, i did not get a notification about your response. I happened upon it accidentally. <.<

This relates to the discussion in general, but not precisely what we have spoken of. I just have two questions;

Why Christianity?
Why Theism?

Hallowed Hunter

How has this not devolved into anarchy already? Must be a slow day.

Distinct Seeker

We Are Organisms
Kashii_Ai
We Are Organisms
I am 'atheist' because, well, how I try to prove god isnt real is by.
1, showing that gods were invented from the human mind as a concept
2, point out logical fallacies

And those can be divided to further points.

1a, one way of showing how gods were invented is researching cultures before and after they acquired the beliefs in dieties to determine a motivation for creating a god.
1b, use psychology to explain things like wishful thinking or think why would I invent the idea of a god, and what would psychologists think of my creating a god persona or whatnot, to therefore demonstrate why gods are not real.

2a, bible is not evidence anymore than shakespeare's plays are evidence of romeo or juliet having existed, is an example.

2b, the bible is contradictory within itself

2c, the bible is contradictory with science and history and other things beyond itself, making it look like fiction.

Something along those lines is how I think I can disbelieve in a god(s).
I was raised in a partially christian household, I was a naive person. I judged, like 'holier than thou' and had high standards of belief. I looked down on people who werent as serious religion wise. Then I got educated and realized how bad the church/vatican was. And that caused great conflict within my mind. Eventually I am as I am. I think atheism is a word to explain the abnormal disbelief in god, that gets abused to judge those who dont believe, and if a god(s) suddenly show themself, of course, who wouldnt convert if god actually spoke to us? But the news exagerates, people exagerate, stories are inaccurate, and somehow the bible is right? I dont see how thats possible. Other religions are less hypocritical and match up with my morals more, none are perfect, and because I veiw religion as a social construct I still think religion has its uses for society, but I also think a direct approach would be better, such as education.

To be honest I personally think the whole 'atheist vs. Christian' argument is kind of pointless, because honestly there's REALLY no way to prove 100% beyond a doubt that God does or does not exist. If we could, it would sort of defeat the purpose of religion and belief systems, I think, and we would all believe the same thing and it would be boring and we would have nothing about the meaning in our lives to figure out as human beings.

And then I would be out of a job as an author because the original purpose of stories was to figure out who God is and how God made it work. XD

BUT ANYWAY. Whether or not God exists, I think religion is an effort to understand what God is and what God wants, as well as our place as human beings and our purpose for existing here. Because we're human, we make mistakes as human beings in our belief systems, and this sadly has terrible and lasting repercussions when we allow those belief systems to have a hold over us beyond common sense and basic human decency.

My problem with a lot of Christians is that they get all ~high and mighty~ in their beliefs and then proceed to prosecute people like you, even though they can't prove 100% that their beliefs are right and yours are wrong, or vice versa. They forget that we as human beings lead shaky, fragile existences and many of the things we believe COULD be human constructs we invented. c:

Thus why I think the Christians vs. Atheists argument is pointless. LIKE WHO CARES we both want to be at peace as human beings, and we both strive to be the best we can be, whether or not we think we need God. I think it's more important to focus on that rather than arguing about who's right and who's not.
exactly, we need peace, not christians cutting off foreskins of babies', hating on gays, etc. I know its more of the parenting/education issue than christianity but dont say I cant disprove god beyond a doubt, I can disprove gods through disproving religion through, science, history, rational thought, etc. Just not peoples' individual ideas of god(s), but even that is shaky because theres a billion ideas of god not with religion, its futile to assume anything of god, its a huge distraction and waste of time. Yeah let the vatican prevent people giving condoms to african americans, so they can still spread aids and babies born with aids, babies who are probably going to starve to death anyways. Yeah believe in your fictional ******** egotistical god and lets have a rational conversation about peace, well you need to drop god before you can be rational. But yeah, you obviously cant prove I cant disprove god either, which should sit well with your logic, so ok lets not argue about this.

And about meaning in lives, religion is an awefullly convenient way to give people purpose and answers, maybe thats why it was made. :O And then god conveniently disapears, by magical coincidence.

But yeah, what should we be talking about in this discussion anyways?

Your uncircumcised?

Greedy Consumer

Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms
Kashii_Ai
We Are Organisms

1a, one way of showing how gods were invented is researching cultures before and after they acquired the beliefs in dieties to determine a motivation for creating a god.
1b, use psychology to explain things like wishful thinking or think why would I invent the idea of a god, and what would psychologists think of my creating a god persona or whatnot, to therefore demonstrate why gods are not real.

2a, bible is not evidence anymore than shakespeare's plays are evidence of romeo or juliet having existed, is an example.

2c, the bible is contradictory with science and history and other things beyond itself, making it look like fiction.

I was raised in a partially christian household, I was a naive person. I judged, like 'holier than thou' and had high standards of belief. I looked down on people who werent as serious religion wise. Then I got educated and realized how bad the church/vatican was. And that caused great conflict within my mind. Eventually I am as I am. I think atheism is a word to explain the abnormal disbelief in god, that gets abused to judge those who dont believe, and if a god(s) suddenly show themself, of course, who wouldnt convert if god actually spoke to us? But the news exagerates, people exagerate, stories are inaccurate, and somehow the bible is right? I dont see how thats possible. Other religions are less hypocritical and match up with my morals more, none are perfect, and because I veiw religion as a social construct I still think religion has its uses for society, but I also think a direct approach would be better, such as education.

To be honest I personally think the whole 'atheist vs. Christian' argument is kind of pointless, because honestly there's REALLY no way to prove 100% beyond a doubt that God does or does not exist. If we could, it would sort of defeat the purpose of religion and belief systems, I think, and we would all believe the same thing and it would be boring and we would have nothing about the meaning in our lives to figure out as human beings.

And then I would be out of a job as an author because the original purpose of stories was to figure out who God is and how God made it work. XD

BUT ANYWAY. Whether or not God exists, I think religion is an effort to understand what God is and what God wants, as well as our place as human beings and our purpose for existing here. Because we're human, we make mistakes as human beings in our belief systems, and this sadly has terrible and lasting repercussions when we allow those belief systems to have a hold over us beyond common sense and basic human decency.

My problem with a lot of Christians is that they get all ~high and mighty~ in their beliefs and then proceed to prosecute people like you, even though they can't prove 100% that their beliefs are right and yours are wrong, or vice versa. They forget that we as human beings lead shaky, fragile existences and many of the things we believe COULD be human constructs we invented. c:

Thus why I think the Christians vs. Atheists argument is pointless. LIKE WHO CARES we both want to be at peace as human beings, and we both strive to be the best we can be, whether or not we think we need God. I think it's more important to focus on that rather than arguing about who's right and who's not.
exactly, we need peace, not christians cutting off foreskins of babies', hating on gays, etc. I know its more of the parenting/education issue than christianity but dont say I cant disprove god beyond a doubt, I can disprove gods through disproving religion through, science, history, rational thought, etc. Just not peoples' individual ideas of god(s), but even that is shaky because theres a billion ideas of god not with religion, its futile to assume anything of god, its a huge distraction and waste of time. Yeah let the vatican prevent people giving condoms to african americans, so they can still spread aids and babies born with aids, babies who are probably going to starve to death anyways. Yeah believe in your fictional ******** egotistical god and lets have a rational conversation about peace, well you need to drop god before you can be rational. But yeah, you obviously cant prove I cant disprove god either, which should sit well with your logic, so ok lets not argue about this.

And about meaning in lives, religion is an awefullly convenient way to give people purpose and answers, maybe thats why it was made. :O And then god conveniently disapears, by magical coincidence.

Your uncircumcised?
circumcised and resent it.

Distinct Seeker

We Are Organisms
Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms
Kashii_Ai
We Are Organisms

Your uncircumcised?

Why would you not want to be circumcised?

Greedy Consumer

Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms
Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms
Kashii_Ai
We Are Organisms

Your uncircumcised?

A good question to research yourself. If I present it you will try and counterargue it before considering it. But by the fact that you haven't considered it may be a bad thing (since 'what you don't know can't hurt you') already, means that you may actually prefer the opposite side. I know its taboo to think against your religio though, been there done that. But education cannot go wrong, or can it?

Distinct Seeker

We Are Organisms
Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms
Ate Your Fries
We Are Organisms

Your uncircumcised?

A good question to research yourself. If I present it you will try and counterargue it before considering it. But by the fact that you haven't considered it may be a bad thing (since 'what you don't know can't hurt you') already, means that you may actually prefer the opposite side. I know its taboo to think against your religio though, been there done that. But education cannot go wrong, or can it?

You failed to answer the question. I don't care who is or not-I wouldn't want to be uncircumcised because it looks gross. Why the heck would I argue about foreskin? :l

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff