Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Is there any scripture in the Bible where Jesus outright or explicitly says that he is God? To worship Jesus as if he were God?
I've always been under the impression that Jesus and Christ were separate. Jesus was the human man and Christ was the Divine Nature that he was teaching and spreading. That Christ was the power and Jesus was only the vehicle.
I've met a lot of Christians who will tell me that Jesus is God.
But then, if Jesus is God, isn't that the same as worshipping a man?

Adored Admirer

There is no time Jesus ever claimed to be such.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Pseudo-Onkelos

Then where do the beliefs that Jesus is God stem from?

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
There are several verses in the Gospel that say that He and the Father "are one," however, this can simply mean that they are like-minded in the prophetic sayings Jesus espoused. In the end, what you view of the verses calling them "one" is going to determine whether you believe the Bible teaches Jesus being God or not.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

Arguably, an attempt for Paul to convert Zoroastrians from the dying Persian empire after the death of Jesus. However, the belief nowadays tends to come from a more strict interpretation of verses in which Jesus refers to himself as "one with the Father."

Adored Admirer

Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

Mostly the gospel of John.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

So sayings like, “If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him"? Claiming that seeing Jesus, the man, is seeing God? Or is that claiming that you are seeing the actions of the Christ, the Divine Nature of God, and are seeing God as that?
Or that, “All that belongs to the Father is mine"? But couldn't that just be claiming dominion over the Divine Nature of Christ? That every child of God has the ability to harness the same sense of peace, love, forgiveness, as well as the same healing ability?

Greedy Consumer

Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

I think from 'the messiah' idea.

Adored Admirer

Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

So sayings like, “If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him"? Claiming that seeing Jesus, the man, is seeing God? Or is that claiming that you are seeing the actions of the Christ, the Divine Nature of God, and are seeing God as that?
Or that, “All that belongs to the Father is mine"? But couldn't that just be claiming dominion over the Divine Nature of Christ? That every child of God has the ability to harness the same sense of peace, love, forgiveness, as well as the same healing ability?

It just means the words and deeds Jesus performed are the will of God that has been demonstrated through him. To see Jesus is to see God because Jesus reflected God's nature. Jesus was given authority on Earth. He's more of God's shaliach than he is God himself.

Distinct Seeker

This is one of my favorite topics in the bible. Well, here it goes...

John 14:7-10 [7] If you really knew me, you would know my Father well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." [8] Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." [9] Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been am you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing work.

John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."

John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the mira themselves

John 10:37-38 [37] Do not believe me unless I do what my Fathe does. [38] But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe th miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is i me, and I in the Father."

Matthew 27:43 He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he want him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.'"

John 17:11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still i the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by th power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be on as we are one.

John 10:31-33 [31] Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him [32] but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" [33] "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

John 17:10 [Speaking to the Father] All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

Note: "Son of Man" was a term referring to the expected Messiah.

Mark 14:61b-62 [61b] Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" [62] "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Luke 22:66-70 [66] At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. [67] "If you are the Christ, " they said, "tell us." Jesus answered, "If I tell you, you will not believe me, [68] and if I asked you, you would not answer. [69] But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God." [70] They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am."

Jesus clearly and repeatedly indicated that He is not the one who "calls the shots".

John 14:31 the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

John 7:16 Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me."

John 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would lov me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own but he sent me."

Isaiah 9:6-7 [6] For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. [7] Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. ...

John 1 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Eternal Word

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend [a] it.

Revelation 19:11-16
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11, 14:33, 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:3 cool . He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other verses and passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

1 John 5:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Revelation 1:10-13,17-18
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelation 22:16-21
16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen

When Jesus claimed to be God incarnate, either:

1. He was telling the truth. 2. He was lying -- He wasn't God and knew it. 3. He was a lunatic -- He wasn't God but thought He was.

You chose to believe it or not.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
IVovacane
This is one of my favorite topics in the bible. Well, here it goes...

When Jesus claimed to be God incarnate, either:

1. He was telling the truth. 2. He was lying -- He wasn't God and knew it. 3. He was a lunatic -- He wasn't God but thought He was.

You chose to believe it or not.

I'm not gonna quote all those verses.
But in respect to the passaged from John; couldn't those be saying that the Christ, the Divine Nature of God, is what Jesus was representing and showing to the people? When he said for when you see me you see God, couldn't that mean "the healing that I do is the work of God, not of me"?
So Jesus was never saying that he was God Incarnate but only showing the power of God to men. The same as when he said "I and the Father are one." If all humans are the children of God, then aren't we all one with God in the same way Jesus was? It's just that Jesus demonstrated the power of God, the Christ nature, better than anyone else in human history?
In respect to Revelations:
Revelations is the only book in the Bible that I feel has no credit. It's not "historical" like the rest of the Bible, it's a vision, or a prophecy of sorts. When John was exiled, he could have gone loony and just wrote down his hallucinations.
So all I'm saying is that, Revelations, basically means diddly squat for me as a Christian compared to the rest of the Bible. I feel like it's give or take, you either believe it or don't.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

It just means the words and deeds Jesus performed are the will of God that has been demonstrated through him. To see Jesus is to see God because Jesus reflected God's nature. Jesus was given authority on Earth. He's more of God's shaliach than he is God himself.

I agree with you. Cause if Jesus was a human, and we are human, then we also have the ability to demonstrate God's power.
But to say that Jesus is God is to believe in a God that is a man, is a human. It's also to say that when Jesus was on the cross, that God was crucified, and then God was resurrected three days later.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
We Are Organisms
Christien Chalfant
Pseudo-Onkelos

I think from 'the messiah' idea.

Free Dictionary Definitions of Messiah:
1. (Non-Christian Religions / Judaism) Judaism the awaited redeemer of the Jews, to be sent by God to free them
2. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Jesus Christ, when regarded in this role
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an exceptional or hoped for liberator of a country or people

So the Jews are still waiting for someone to be sent by God. Which could in essence be anyone, just like Jesus.

Jesus Christ as the Messiah, who "freed" humans from their sin at the time.

And Barack Obama lol. Just kidding. Definitely not a Messiah at all.

So if the Messiah is a person who is sent by God, and Christianity stems from Judaism, then the Christian Messiah Jesus, would not mean that he is/was God.
Christien Chalfant
Is there any scripture in the Bible where Jesus outright or explicitly says that he is God? To worship Jesus as if he were God?
I've always been under the impression that Jesus and Christ were separate. Jesus was the human man and Christ was the Divine Nature that he was teaching and spreading. That Christ was the power and Jesus was only the vehicle.
I've met a lot of Christians who will tell me that Jesus is God.
But then, if Jesus is God, isn't that the same as worshipping a man?

Not that I'm aware of. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we actually believe that Christ was separate from God; He actually was the son of God. Elder Holland (one of the modern day apostles) actually talks about this here.

Familiar Prophet

Depending on how you interpret:

"I and the Father are one.” John 10:30

Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Mark 12:29

One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4:5-6

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. John 14:10

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:20

Jesus pretty much inherited everything His father has, so it is understood that he is part of the God Head. There are three separate beings in the Godhead, but they are addressed as one God.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff