7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
Is there any scripture in the Bible where Jesus outright or explicitly says that he is God? To worship Jesus as if he were God?

It depends on what you mean by explicitly. No, as far as I know there is no place in the canon where Jesus says, "I am God." He does, however, say "I and the Father are One." (I don't know about non-canonical scripture.)

Pseudo could probably give you the literal translations from the Greek and what have you, if he hasn't already.

Quote:
But then, if Jesus is God, isn't that the same as worshipping a man?

In my opinion, and I assume the opinions of many Christians, no. Jesus wasn't a man. He was a god-man. Christians claim that he is the only god-man there ever was or ever will be. Though other religions have god-men as well, I believe.

God-Man? Well. That is basically a ridiculous idea for me. That's like a Demi-God in Greek Myths.
But then I still refuse to worship a "God-Man" or a Man, and will only worship God.

For me, I and the Father are One means something different than I am God and God is Me.

It is in fact very like the demi-gods of Greek myth, almost eerily alike.

But I understand. To each his own, no?

I think I might have misled you, and I want to clarify one thing.

When I say God-man, I mean = 100% god + 100% man.
But instead of it making 200% impossible, it's Jesus.
It's a paradox.
But Christians, if you ask them, are unwavering in the belief that when they worship Jesus, they worship God.

So either, they're all idiots or intellectual liars who refuse to succumb to logic
or there are some things that are logical yet remain outside our realm of understanding,
that we have to take on faith.

That's what the decision to believe in the traditional Christian Trinity or not comes down to, I think.

I agree with you that Jesus being a "God-Man" is contradictory in definition and even in belief.
My fellow Christian Scientists and I are the only Christian denomination that I have met so that believe Jesus was just a man.
And if you don't know what Christian Science is, please go to our Website and not any Wiki's. The wiki's have false things in there.
Gospel of John -> Jesus = God

It depends whether you trust that guy. I would stay away if I were you.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
AlastorFate

It depends on if John actually wrote it lol.

Inaqtuk's Wife

Salty Sweetheart

Christien Chalfant
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
Is there any scripture in the Bible where Jesus outright or explicitly says that he is God? To worship Jesus as if he were God?

It depends on what you mean by explicitly. No, as far as I know there is no place in the canon where Jesus says, "I am God." He does, however, say "I and the Father are One." (I don't know about non-canonical scripture.)

Pseudo could probably give you the literal translations from the Greek and what have you, if he hasn't already.

Quote:
But then, if Jesus is God, isn't that the same as worshipping a man?

In my opinion, and I assume the opinions of many Christians, no. Jesus wasn't a man. He was a god-man. Christians claim that he is the only god-man there ever was or ever will be. Though other religions have god-men as well, I believe.

God-Man? Well. That is basically a ridiculous idea for me. That's like a Demi-God in Greek Myths.
But then I still refuse to worship a "God-Man" or a Man, and will only worship God.

For me, I and the Father are One means something different than I am God and God is Me.

It's a paradox.
But Christians, if you ask them, are unwavering in the belief that when they worship Jesus, they worship God.

So either, they're all idiots or intellectual liars who refuse to succumb to logic
or there are some things that are logical yet remain outside our realm of understanding,

That's what the decision to believe in the traditional Christian Trinity or not comes down to, I think.

I agree with you that Jesus being a "God-Man" is contradictory in definition and even in belief.
My fellow Christian Scientists and I are the only Christian denomination that I have met so that believe Jesus was just a man.
And if you don't know what Christian Science is, please go to our Website and not any Wiki's. The wiki's have false things in there.

Ah, good to know. c:

Though I'm pretty sure Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons also believe God and Jesus were separate people.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe Christ was and is the archangel Michael.
Mormons believe he is the literal son of God. They're very big on children and family.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
GreenInkling
Christien Chalfant
GreenInkling

It's a paradox.

Ah, good to know. c:

Though I'm pretty sure Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons also believe God and Jesus were separate people.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe Christ was and is the archangel Michael.
Mormons believe he is the literal son of God. They're very big on children and family.

Hm. I don't have anything against the Mormons, I think they're fine people.
But I've never spoken with or met a Jehovah Witness before. I'm not really into Angels being actual beings, more just like messages from God. Not physical personifications.
Christien Chalfant
AlastorFate

From Christianity's perspective, John's Gospel was canonized and recognized as true doctrinally speaking.

Suffice to say, if you are to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is God as most denominations advocates. Whether it makes any sense or whether Jesus made any claim on that regard at all does not dampen Christianity's firm acceptance of that doctrine.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
AlastorFate
Christien Chalfant
AlastorFate

From Christianity's perspective, John's Gospel was canonized and recognized as true doctrinally speaking.

Suffice to say, if you are to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is God as most denominations advocates. Whether it makes any sense or whether Jesus made any claim on that regard at all does not dampen Christianity's firm acceptance of that doctrine.

"You HAVE to believe that Jesus is God."
I wasn't aware that there were mandatory beliefs if you wanted to Christian. Just because Mainstream Christian denominations think one thing, doesn't mean that all other denominations must have the same or similar beliefs to be Christian.
Though I think Christians are called Christians for a reason, not Jesuits, Jesusites, Jesusers, etcetera.

Adored Admirer

AlastorFate
Suffice to say, if you are to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is God as most denominations advocates.

No you don't. Unitarians and binitarians would disagree with you.

Bloodthirsty Sex Symbol

25,025 Points
  • Monster Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Brandisher 100
The New Wineskin
There are several verses in the Gospel that say that He and the Father "are one," however, this can simply mean that they are like-minded in the prophetic sayings Jesus espoused. In the end, what you view of the verses calling them "one" is going to determine whether you believe the Bible teaches Jesus being God or not.
Something tells me that reading the text in the original language might possibly clear up the distinction.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Wako Smitty no Yuuku
The New Wineskin
There are several verses in the Gospel that say that He and the Father "are one," however, this can simply mean that they are like-minded in the prophetic sayings Jesus espoused. In the end, what you view of the verses calling them "one" is going to determine whether you believe the Bible teaches Jesus being God or not.
Something tells me that reading the text in the original language might possibly clear up the distinction.

Thank you for this post and quote! This is exactly how I think!

Bloodthirsty Sex Symbol

25,025 Points
  • Monster Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Brandisher 100
Christien Chalfant
Wako Smitty no Yuuku
The New Wineskin

Thank you for this post and quote! This is exactly how I think!
Any time. many of the finer nuances and meaning of a language are lost in even the best translation, and precious few translators care to add a bunch of footnotes to the Bible to explain the difference. Many of the Biblical translators are amongst the best in the linguistic fields, and I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Wako Smitty no Yuuku
The New Wineskin

You'd think. I haven't, so I have no clue.

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
In the beginning was the Word, & the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- King James Version (1611)

Adored Admirer

Whispertruth

A better translation is, "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and what God was, the word was." This doesn't mean the word is a person, however.

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Whispertruth

A better translation is, "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and what God was, the word was." This doesn't mean the word is a person, however.
Jesus is the Word and Jesus is God. That is a fundamental truth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff