Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
I have been searching for what my religion would be called but some how I can't find a clear answer.I would also like you to talk about your beliefs of religion whether religious, atheist or agnostic.

I think I would be considered Christian. Ok here go's, I believe in a single God, this god taught us about him and how we were created through millions of years of evolution. Humans either lost all this information because they passed it down by mouth or didn't understand it and was spoke about in terms they understood. There for I believe their is no correct religion because they are all descended from a first religion. I also believe that we evolved however God guided this process as a means of getting us here or we are just random life forms that evolved by itself that he later recognized and spoke with. I also believe aliens are angels looking over us in their vehicles (if you've ever read Ezekiel) or are other beings God created or whatnot, or both. I believe Jesus is the savior and people who don't believe in God or Jesus will not go to hell but will get a chance to declare their faith. I also believe abortions are wrong unless the mother will die. I also think people can be gay as long as they don't get married religiously.

So what would my religion be considered? Also don't bash any anyone here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.
Interitum
So what would my religion be considered?

Some form of breakaway Christian with culture-reflecting values.

Interitum
Also don't bash any anyone here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.

Only if you believe it is so.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Interitum
I have been searching for what my religion would be called but some how I can't find a clear answer.I would also like you to talk about your beliefs of religion whether religious, atheist or agnostic.

I think I would be considered Christian. Ok here go's, I believe in a single God, this god taught us about him and how we were created through millions of years of evolution. Humans either lost all this information because they passed it down by mouth or didn't understand it and was spoke about in terms they understood. There for I believe their is no correct religion because they are all descended from a first religion. I also believe that we evolved however God guided this process as a means of getting us here or we are just random life forms that evolved by itself that he later recognized and spoke with. I also believe aliens are angels looking over us in their vehicles (if you've ever read Ezekiel) or are other beings God created or whatnot, or both. I believe Jesus is the savior and people who don't believe in God or Jesus will not go to hell but will get a chance to declare their faith. I also believe abortions are wrong unless the mother will die. I also think people can be gay as long as they don't get married religiously.

So what would my religion be considered? Also don't bash any anyone here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.
Do you think that what Jesus taught should be followed?

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
dh8d1
Interitum

Yep.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Interitum
dh8d1
Interitum

Yep.
Then by definition you are a Christian.

Personally I'm irreligious, atheist, and agnostic.
Interitum

I'm a little confused on how you can state that you believe there's no correct religion, but then state that you believe in the words of Jesus and that Jesus is the savior. Those ideas seem contradictory to me, since believing in Jesus' divinity means you must also believe in the validity of Christianity at some level (even if you don't take all of the bible to be true). After all, accepting Jesus' divinity puts you at odds with both Judaism and Islam, who at best think Jesus may have been a prophet, but not the son of god.

You sound pretty much text-book Christian to me (some version of protestant), save for the "angels are aliens" bit.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
Xenoglossicist

I'm a little confused on how you can state that you believe there's no correct religion, but then state that you believe in the words of Jesus and that Jesus is the savior. Those ideas seem contradictory to me, since believing in Jesus' divinity means you must also believe in the validity of Christianity at some level (even if you don't take all of the bible to be true). After all, accepting Jesus' divinity puts you at odds with both Judaism and Islam, who at best think Jesus may have been a prophet, but not the son of god.

You sound pretty much text-book Christian to me (some version of protestant), save for the "angels are aliens" bit.

I'm not sure how that's contradictory. I believe Jesus is the savior but I can't prove that, there for another religion could be right on who the savior is. I like Jesus and his teachings therefor I believe in him. Belief is a choice, I'm not saying he is for a fact the savior but I accept him as the savior.
Curious why you believe any of that, Interitum. They sound like comfort-beliefs, like the things you want to believe, and that's a dangerous place to get your beliefs from. I mean if you're interested in explaining things like evolution, then you must be influenced by the secular scientific arguments for evolution, so it's odd that you haven't turned that same reasoning toward the legitimacy of Biblical claims like Jesus as the son of god, or the existence of aliens close enough to have anything to do with us. Nothing that you stated is inherently contradictory, but the reasons for your particular beliefs sound very contradictory, which is a bad sign.

Far as I can tell, you've described a 'religion' that doesn't yet exist as an established faith because it's the kind of personal mish-mash a lot of people have (all the 'Christians' in my family, for example) based on the things they emotionally want to believe in carefully fit around whatever facts that they feel scientifically sure of (because let's face it, you can barely get by in the modern world saying things like 'the earth is the flat centre of the universe' based on the Bible; every Christian I know claims that some of the Bible is inaccurate or 'not applicable').

So it's about as inaccurate a way to figure out actual deeper truths about the universe as I can think of. Just warning you, a bit of rationality and self-critical thinking does everyone some good, in day-to-day life as well as in core beliefs.

Myself, I'm a skeptic and a scientist, because science is the best method of reasoning and understanding the universe that humanity has come up with. For example, scientists only take into account observable data, as much data as they can collect. If something postulated doesn't have an observable influence on the data in any way, the idea is generally disregarded until data is found that does align with it. In this way spirituality has been discarded the same as psychics and magicians, because there is no data that wouldn't be present in the case of much simpler hypotheses. If you'd like me to elaborate further on the competing hypotheses for religion, and why scientists don't see it as necessary to explain anything, or even a likely possibility, I would be happy to.

Similarly, the rationality that drove me towards science also dictates a basic system of ethics that I feel pretty strongly about, based on making my life better while making the world a comfier place for me to live my life (the people around me being happy and stable, the people around them being happy and stable, and so on.) Simple rules like absolute honesty, ready self-criticism and examination, hedonistic utilitarian goals, treating others the way I'd want them to treat me in context, etc. I don't think anything happens when we die because I have no reason to, and I think the universe as we can observe it is pretty goddamn amazing and I want to spend my life discovering it and sharing my happiness with others. That about does it for me.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
Derpravity
Curious why you believe any of that, Interitum. They sound like comfort-beliefs, like the things you want to believe, and that's a dangerous place to get your beliefs from. I mean if you're interested in explaining things like evolution, then you must be influenced by the secular scientific arguments for evolution, so it's odd that you haven't turned that same reasoning toward the legitimacy of Biblical claims like Jesus as the son of god, or the existence of aliens close enough to have anything to do with us. Nothing that you stated is inherently contradictory, but the reasons for your particular beliefs sound very contradictory, which is a bad sign.

I hate typing long paragraphs. I have reasoning behind every ideal, so ask me a particular question and I will explain it.

Distinct Seeker

dh8d1
Interitum
dh8d1
Interitum

Yep.

I thought agnostism and atheism were different things .___.

Distinct Seeker

Interesting. Do you believe God created the world in 7 literal days?
If you don't believe in somethings in the bible, then how can you believe any of it?
I still wonder what aliens are myself lol
IVovacane
dh8d1

They are; just because two things are different does not mean they cannot co-exist in a single entity: tall is different from rocky, yet mountains are both tall and rocky.
- question

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
IVovacane
Interesting. Do you believe God created the world in 7 literal days?
If you don't believe in somethings in the bible, then how can you believe any of it?
I still wonder what aliens are myself lol

Well it could have been seven days to him if he was in a dimension where time flows differently then this dimension, but no one can know for sure. Not sure how to put this into words but I think the Bible was written in terms that the people in those times could understand. It couldn't be properly translated because for example if we went to the biblical times and asked their opinion on the latest cell phone they would have no clue what your talking about. If you showed them a cell phone they might kill you because they thought you were magic. Basically what I think is that what some people call magic is just science that we don't understand yet. If we were in biblical time and God was telling us everything he was telling them we would possibly be having a conversation about science. Like God could be telling us that all living things came from a single cell, they multiplied and mutations happened in their DNA which caused them to be different, soon they became multicellular organisms..(you know the rest)..and the turned into what you are now. We would have understood it just like that because all those words are in our vocabulary. What they would've heard is possibly "Adam was created from dirt Eve was created from Adams rib. Animals were created because Adam was lonely..." The Bible is true to the understanding of ancient people if that makes since. I have not yet went to sleep because of the Monk marathon and if I keep typing it will be complete nonsense. Good night people, or should I say good morning?

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
IVovacane
dh8d1
Interitum
dh8d1
Interitum

Yep.

Nope. They're not different.
I'm atheist because I don't believe in a god, and I'm agnostic because I don't know if god exists or not.

I do not claim "there is no god" like some atheists do.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
dh8d1
Nope. They're not different.
I'm atheist because I don't believe in a god, and I'm agnostic because I don't know if god exists or not.

I do not claim "there is no god" like some atheists do.
They are different, but they're not mutually exclusive. Lucky had it right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff