Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interitum
Xenoglossicist

I'm a little confused on how you can state that you believe there's no correct religion, but then state that you believe in the words of Jesus and that Jesus is the savior. Those ideas seem contradictory to me, since believing in Jesus' divinity means you must also believe in the validity of Christianity at some level (even if you don't take all of the bible to be true). After all, accepting Jesus' divinity puts you at odds with both Judaism and Islam, who at best think Jesus may have been a prophet, but not the son of god.

You sound pretty much text-book Christian to me (some version of protestant), save for the "angels are aliens" bit.

I'm not sure how that's contradictory. I believe Jesus is the savior but I can't prove that, there for another religion could be right on who the savior is. I like Jesus and his teachings therefor I believe in him. Belief is a choice, I'm not saying he is for a fact the savior but I accept him as the savior.

All religion asks for is faith, not knowledge. In fact, it seems to dislike people saying they "know" god exists. So believing in Jesus' divinity is, in terms of the rest of the Abrahamic religions, believing in the validity of Christianity. That's why I thought it was contradictory to say that you believe any of them could be correct, but believe in Jesus as a savior, because that's against the teachings of the other two judeo-christian religions, who get offended by the notion of Jesus being divine.

Distinct Seeker

Interitum
IVovacane
Interesting. Do you believe God created the world in 7 literal days?
If you don't believe in somethings in the bible, then how can you believe any of it?
I still wonder what aliens are myself lol

Well it could have been seven days to him if he was in a dimension where time flows differently then this dimension, but no one can know for sure. Not sure how to put this into words but I think the Bible was written in terms that the people in those times could understand. It couldn't be properly translated because for example if we went to the biblical times and asked their opinion on the latest cell phone they would have no clue what your talking about. If you showed them a cell phone they might kill you because they thought you were magic. Basically what I think is that what some people call magic is just science that we don't understand yet. If we were in biblical time and God was telling us everything he was telling them we would possibly be having a conversation about science. Like God could be telling us that all living things came from a single cell, they multiplied and mutations happened in their DNA which caused them to be different, soon they became multicellular organisms..(you know the rest)..and the turned into what you are now. We would have understood it just like that because all those words are in our vocabulary. What they would've heard is possibly "Adam was created from dirt Eve was created from Adams rib. Animals were created because Adam was lonely..." The Bible is true to the understanding of ancient people if that makes since. I have not yet went to sleep because of the Monk marathon and if I keep typing it will be complete nonsense. Good night people, or should I say good morning?

Yeah that's what I thought about. That maybe it was 7 days to God since He is outside of our time.

Shameless Mystic

IVovacane
If you don't believe in somethings in the bible, then how can you believe any of it?
Because the bible is not a book, it's several books. It's a rather widespread belief that the creation stories are simply that, stories. In fact, the more you look at other cultures, the more things start to make sense. Take native americans for example. They have countless contradictory creation stories, some tribes even tell these multiple stories. When asked if they believe that was the actual way the world was created... they'll probably give you an answer along the lines of "that's not what's important."

Distinct Seeker

False Dichotomy
IVovacane
Because the bible is not a book, it's several books. It's a rather widespread belief that the creation stories are simply that, stories. In fact, the more you look at other cultures, the more things start to make sense. Take native americans for example. They have countless contradictory creation stories, some tribes even tell these multiple stories. When asked if they believe that was the actual way the world was created... they'll probably give you an answer along the lines of "that's not what's important."

We accept it as truth

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Nerdologist
dh8d1
Nope. They're not different.
I'm atheist because I don't believe in a god, and I'm agnostic because I don't know if god exists or not.

I do not claim "there is no god" like some atheists do.
They are different, but they're not mutually exclusive. Lucky had it right.
Ok, I guess I misspoke. I meant that they don't have to be held at different points. They're not "something or the other," they're "something and/or the other."

Shameless Mystic

IVovacane
False Dichotomy
IVovacane

We accept it as truth
Sigh, I have a feeling this conversation is going nowhere. You'll either learn on your own or you won't.

Distinct Seeker

False Dichotomy
IVovacane
False Dichotomy
IVovacane

We accept it as truth
Sigh, I have a feeling this conversation is going nowhere. You'll either learn on your own or you won't.

That's the thing, its not gonna go anywhere.
Anyway I wasn't actually conversating with you. I was conversating with the person who made this thread. You answered a question that wasn't even adressed to you. Either way, I guess I got my answer. :l

Blessed Friend

You could become a follower of the esoteric teachings of Benjamin Crème. He believes all religions are one, that they are evolving and not quite correct and that alien "space brothers" are watching over us on earth. He believes that Jesus is one world teacher and that Meitreya, the next world teacher has already returned to earth and is secretly making the world better without yet revealing himself. To learn more and buy his books: http://www.share-international.org/

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Interitum
I have been searching for what my religion would be called but some how I can't find a clear answer.I would also like you to talk about your beliefs of religion whether religious, atheist or agnostic.

I think I would be considered Christian. Ok here go's, I believe in a single God, this god taught us about him and how we were created through millions of years of evolution. Humans either lost all this information because they passed it down by mouth or didn't understand it and was spoke about in terms they understood. There for I believe their is no correct religion because they are all descended from a first religion. I also believe that we evolved however God guided this process as a means of getting us here or we are just random life forms that evolved by itself that he later recognized and spoke with. I also believe aliens are angels looking over us in their vehicles (if you've ever read Ezekiel) or are other beings God created or whatnot, or both. I believe Jesus is the savior and people who don't believe in God or Jesus will not go to hell but will get a chance to declare their faith. I also believe abortions are wrong unless the mother will die. I also think people can be gay as long as they don't get married religiously.

So what would my religion be considered? Also don't bash any anyone here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.

Nondenominational Christian.

Dapper Reveler

Religion is directive, mine is awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out