Welcome to Gaia! ::

Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Among all funny things I've come across a Bible inspired group known as the Flat earth society really has me rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.

I used to be a christian............... until I could understand exactly what all it was saying that is, anyhow that is beside the point.

Anyhow, let's set the history of me aside, it's not relevant to this post!

Flat Earth Society

Anyhow the question is, can you name the scriptural verses that speak for how the earth is flat?

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Among all funny things I've come across a Bible inspired group known as the Flat earth society really has me rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.

I used to be a christian............... until I could understand exactly what all it was saying that is, anyhow that is beside the point.

Flat Earth Society

Anyhow the question is, can you name the scriptural verses that speak for how the earth is flat?

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

Some say that revealing the absurdity of a religious text is a good way to fight people taking it literally, I myself believe this.

People who take a religious text word for word as literally as it can be taken can become religious radicals (If the books promotes injustices.... Examples: The Qur'an, the Bible etc) and tend to cause chaos and harm often even globally.
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro

Flat Earth Society

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

Some say that revealing the absurdity of a religious text is a good way to fight people taking it literally, I myself believe this.

People who take a religious text word for word as literally as it can be taken can become religious radicals (If the books promotes injustices.... Examples: The Qur'an, the Bible etc) and tend to cause chaos and harm often even globally.

That's why some people actually ignore the WBC and the creationists who obviously their God is a big wuss who couldn't create something like evolution. Damn those wuss mongers.

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
deadmanjay
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro

Flat Earth Society

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

That's why some people actually ignore the WBC and the creationists who obviously their God is a big wuss who couldn't create something like evolution. Damn those wuss mongers.
Either way the biblical god in current day is a wuss, while of coarse in the "Biblical days" he was an evil misogynistic egotist. Anyhow, the bible isn't something of validity as can plainly be shown with much ease, but regardless in a world where comfort is felt through ignorance, often those who know, hold less power than those who don't and are content with how they believe and perceive.

Eloquent Streaker

Haha Coffee
I always presumed they were trolls like WBC
The WBC aren't trolls. They really are that ******** stupid.

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee
LOL I agree, I had the misfortune of running into some members online.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee

On the contrary they are very , very clever.
The way they set up there pickets, organize there resources, the way they do thing's just within the boundary of the law, so they can counter-sue(which they have done very sucesfully, a lot of times).
The shining record of Civil Rights and equality work there founder had.

They are very very intelligent, and just trolling the s**t out of mankind.
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro

Flat Earth Society

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

That's not an argument against Christianity. That's an argument against the Protestant heresy of sola scriptura, and its related error, biblical literalism.

Eloquent Streaker

Haha Coffee
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee

The way they set up there pickets, organize there resources, the way they do thing's just within the boundary of the law, so they can counter-sue(which they have done very sucesfully, a lot of times).
None of which can counter the fact that they honestly believe the idiotic bullshit they spew, which by default makes them morons.

They could have the IQ of Einstein for all I care. The fact remains that they are fundamentalist Christian extremists, and religious fundamentalism is automatically a sign of stupidity as far as I'm concerned. They're clever idiots, but they're still idiots.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee

None of which can counter the fact that they honestly believe the idiotic bullshit they spew, which by default makes them morons.

They could have the IQ of Einstein for all I care.

Einstein wasn't that smart at all, he was by and large an Idiot.

Quote:
The fact remains that they are fundamentalist Christian extremists, and religious fundamentalism is automatically a sign of stupidity as far as I'm concerned.

That's a horrible stance to take.

What if you have a Religion, and that Religions FUNDEMENTAL command(the only one) is be kind to your fellow man.

Would that Religious Fundamentalist be stupid?

Quote:
They're clever idiots, but they're still idiots.

I don't think they do believe what they say.

I think they just put up a good front.

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro

Flat Earth Society

I can!

...is it, though?

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

That's not an argument against Christianity. That's an argument against the Protestant heresy of sola scriptura, and its related error, biblical literalism.

Biblical Literal-ism is biblical radicalism and Biblical liberalism is enacting the bible as a life guidebook to the fullest it can be. How many Christians would complain about a campaign to where the only words being promoted and spoken were "The Bible Is Not 100% Truth"?

The answer is far too many

The same goes for if the speech was comprised of the words "The Bible Is Not A Moral Source And Life Guidebook"

Far too many would appose that as well

How about a bible burning rally?

Same there.

The truth is the value placed on the bible is far too great, and even if denied at some point many Christians would dare contradict their denial with statements claiming the bible as 100% truth as well as a life guidebook. They often claim be a true follower of the bible's teachings (Thus even through this claim promoting it vaguely as a life guidebook), therefore the promotion for religious literal-ism (or religious radicalism, depending on what you wish to call it LOL) does in fact exist within the majority of Christianity.

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee
Requiem in Mortis
Haha Coffee

They could have the IQ of Einstein for all I care. The fact remains that they are fundamentalist Christian extremists, and religious fundamentalism is automatically a sign of stupidity as far as I'm concerned. They're clever idiots, but they're still idiots.
Einstein was revolutionary but still flawed as everyone is to be expected to be......... LOL, it's sort of a neutral statement holding the ability to support either claim the argument contains.
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro
Invictus_88
Votaro

Of coarse not LOL

Heh, yes. Quite..

Biblical Literal-ism is biblical radicalism and Biblical liberalism is enacting the bible as a life guidebook to the fullest it can be. How many Christians would complain about a campaign to where the only words being promoted and spoken were "The Bible Is Not 100% Truth"?

The answer is far too many

The same goes for if the speech was comprised of the words "The Bible Is Not A Moral Source And Life Guidebook"

Far too many would appose that as well

How about a bible burning rally?

Same there.

The truth is the value placed on the bible is far too great, and even if denied at some point many Christians would dare contradict their denial with statements claiming the bible as 100% truth as well as a life guidebook. They often claim be a true follower of the bible's teachings (Thus even through this claim promoting it vaguely as a life guidebook), therefore the promotion for religious literal-ism (or religious radicalism, depending on what you wish to call it LOL) does in fact exist within the majority of Christianity.

It's not about whether the Bible is erroneous, about whether or not it is 'true', it is about a literal attitude to its content.

Biblical literalism is unsound, as you can see, but - I assert - that is not an argument against Christianity itself.

Familiar Smoker

Xiam
Votaro

If Christians have to explain the Flat Earth Society, then atheists have to explain the Hollow Earth Society.

(You see the point I'm trying to drive towards, right? That people of a particular belief should not have to answer for fringe groups of crazies?)
Except atheists don't used their nonexistent holy book to find support for the hollow earth "theory", nor do they make up the majority of adherents to said idea. Christians are and do. Now I'm not saying that every Christian needs to answer for every crazy idea other Christians have, just like every atheist does not need to answer for every crazy idea other atheists may have, but the comparison you were trying to make is still invalid.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
TANRailgun
Xiam
Votaro

If Christians have to explain the Flat Earth Society, then atheists have to explain the Hollow Earth Society.

(You see the point I'm trying to drive towards, right? That people of a particular belief should not have to answer for fringe groups of crazies?)
Except atheists don't used their nonexistent holy book to find support for the hollow earth "theory", nor do they make up the majority of adherents to said idea. Christians are and do. Now I'm not saying that every Christian needs to answer for every crazy idea other Christians have, just like every atheist does not need to answer for every crazy idea other atheists may have, but the comparison you were trying to make is still invalid.

I was having difficulty coming up with one.

How about atheists answering for Ancient Alien hypothesists?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff