Welcome to Gaia! ::

Xiam
Nika Vladilen
Should Christians date agnostics?

I don't really give a s**t.

It'll make conversations certainly interesting, and Sundays a bit of a pain in the a**, but if two people love each other, they can do whatever the ******** they want, and sort out their religious arguments however they want.

anonymous attributes
According to scriptures Christians are told not to marry outside of the Lord.

So, what, only marry Jesus? He really gets around, doesn't he?

Don't troll me Xiam.
Love should not be bound by religion.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
anonymous attributes
Xiam
Nika Vladilen

It'll make conversations certainly interesting, and Sundays a bit of a pain in the a**, but if two people love each other, they can do whatever the ******** they want, and sort out their religious arguments however they want.

anonymous attributes

Don't troll me Xiam.

You're making it kind of easy.
Xiam
anonymous attributes
Xiam
Nika Vladilen

anonymous attributes

Don't troll me Xiam.

You're making it kind of easy.

I don't care what you think.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
The Legendary Guest
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
The Legendary Guest
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
I honestly don't think religion should stand in the way of how two people feel about each other. That just seems illogical, does it not?

Feelings are not logical, though. That sort of one of their defining features.

Quote:
Like if you truly love someone, and can't imagine spending the rest of your life without them, then why not either marry the s**t out of them, or just simply be together until you're old and grey if marriage isn't you're thing.

Question: What is the longest relationship you've been in?

Quote:
So in the words of Dr. Seuss; We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

Weirdness is probably not something that can hold a relationship together if other incompatibilities are more omnipresent and create conflict.

Quote:
Savy?

OK Cap'n Jack.

There are a lot of things that aren't logical, yet we still do them.

I know this, however, you were the one who was bridging the idea of "love" with the line "that doesn't seem logical". I had to wonder why it would in the first place.

Quote:
I think what I'm trying to say is that religion shouldn't be a defining factor in who we date/see/marry or whatever.

I don't think any one single thing should be a defining factor. I do, however, realize that religious differences can wreak havoc in a relationship over the course of many years.

Quote:
Ahahaaa...Let's just say not long, and I was the one who broke it off. I don't like people who are overly attached. It scares me.

I understand. I, on the other hand, have been married and had a very long-term relationship (over ten years) become actively hostile over religious differences. It remains so to this day. Some people cannot put the things they believe into a perspective that permits them to accept that other people think differently than they do. It is putting enormous stress on our child, as his fundamentalism is being injected into her life ad nauseam - and during the time she spends with me, she expresses great distress over this pressure. If anything will create an atheist, it will be their demands, not my lack of them.

Quote:
But I always think about those people who have been together for ages, and despite the odds remained together.

There are people like that, yes, my grandparents were like that. My parents, on the other hand, were not. My mother still has not quit harping about his lack of belief in her religion even after their divorce and his remarriage.

Quote:
Weirdness is everywhere, and apart of everything we do, whether we realize it or not.

I'm not sure that's true, care to back it up with a detailed explanation?

Quote:
But I do see where you're coming from on that.

Good, I see your point of view better now, too. Some of it, anyway, which is better than before.
Quote:
-Bows-
I think I sense some sarcasm.

Eh, well, I'd have let it slide if you'd spelled "savvy" correctly. wink Sorry!

See you make a lot of good points, most if which I can't argue, so I won't try, because I know I won't be able to back them up, and I kind of have to agree with some if it.

Plus I think a lot of it is, I still have a ways to go with this whole relationship/dating thing. I've only ever had the one relationship. And I've never really encountered issues with two different religions causing problems.

So I will end with I clearly still have a lot to learn. :nod:

Ahhh spelling, it will always be a b***h for me crying
The Legendary Guest
SevenDeadlyDreams
Love should not be bound by religion.

Why or why not?

Personal opinion.

Why should it be? If you are a devout religious person who values your religion over personal choice then you can use it as a reason not to date someone who doesn't share similar values. That is a choice everyone is entitled to.

Why should it not be? Because not everyone practices the same religions nor is everyone bound by the same ethical and/or moral code based on religion. If you are someone who does not practice religion then, as long as your partner respects that you aren't practicing, then I don't think it's an issue.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
The Legendary Guest
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
The Legendary Guest
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
The Legendary Guest

Feelings are not logical, though. That sort of one of their defining features.

Question: What is the longest relationship you've been in?

Weirdness is probably not something that can hold a relationship together if other incompatibilities are more omnipresent and create conflict.

OK Cap'n Jack.

There are a lot of things that aren't logical, yet we still do them.

I know this, however, you were the one who was bridging the idea of "love" with the line "that doesn't seem logical". I had to wonder why it would in the first place.

Quote:
I think what I'm trying to say is that religion shouldn't be a defining factor in who we date/see/marry or whatever.

I don't think any one single thing should be a defining factor. I do, however, realize that religious differences can wreak havoc in a relationship over the course of many years.

Quote:
Ahahaaa...Let's just say not long, and I was the one who broke it off. I don't like people who are overly attached. It scares me.

I understand. I, on the other hand, have been married and had a very long-term relationship (over ten years) become actively hostile over religious differences. It remains so to this day. Some people cannot put the things they believe into a perspective that permits them to accept that other people think differently than they do. It is putting enormous stress on our child, as his fundamentalism is being injected into her life ad nauseam - and during the time she spends with me, she expresses great distress over this pressure. If anything will create an atheist, it will be their demands, not my lack of them.

Quote:
But I always think about those people who have been together for ages, and despite the odds remained together.

There are people like that, yes, my grandparents were like that. My parents, on the other hand, were not. My mother still has not quit harping about his lack of belief in her religion even after their divorce and his remarriage.

Quote:
Weirdness is everywhere, and apart of everything we do, whether we realize it or not.

I'm not sure that's true, care to back it up with a detailed explanation?

Quote:
But I do see where you're coming from on that.

Good, I see your point of view better now, too. Some of it, anyway, which is better than before.
Quote:
-Bows-
I think I sense some sarcasm.

Eh, well, I'd have let it slide if you'd spelled "savvy" correctly. wink Sorry!

See you make a lot of good points, most if which I can't argue, so I won't try, because I know I won't be able to back them up, and I kind of have to agree with some if it.

Plus I think a lot of it is, I still have a ways to go with this whole relationship/dating thing. I've only ever had the one relationship. And I've never really encountered issues with two different religions causing problems.

So I will end with I clearly still have a lot to learn. :nod:

Ahhh spelling, it will always be a b***h for me crying

Well sure. That's not at all unusual, we never stop learning. I can remember thinking things even just a few years ago that I've changed my position on now. There's really nothing wrong with it, and being young is really hard, especially when you're at an age where older people expect you to have the same degree of maturity as they do before you've had time to develop it. I remember that as being extremely unfair, and try not to repeat with my own kids - although I do fall short of it here, I will admit.

Sorry about the spelling thing. In all honesty that particular spelling of that particular word reminds me of someone who was a real thorn in my side when I was a moderator at another site years ago. >_<

I feel so young, but at the same time, I look at people younger than me, and it makes me feel old. I'm only turning 22 in February, so I know I'm not actually old, but I just feel it sometimes. It's true though. Looking back on certain things that I thought I would never change my mind about, it's like I've done a complete 180. But then there are other things I notice, like the fact my little (two years younger) has already slept with two different people, almost started a long distance relationship with one of them, and I'm over here, like yup, still a virgin, and it honestly makes me think that there's something wrong with me psychologically and socially. I feel like I'm at that age, where everyone is telling me something opposite of what everyone else is saying. And it's just so frustrating now, and it honestly makes me feel a kind of like a failure sometimes...

Wow...Sorry for the mini rant there...

Honestly it's fine. I generally don't have a problem when people correct my spelling, as long as they're not complete assholes about it. Which you weren't.
Well, if your asking for advice from a Biblical perspective I believe that you are supposed to go to the family patriarch of the woman you intend to add to your list of wives and discuss with him what will be an adequate purchase price.
Xiam

Funny you should mention that. Scroll down to that last paragraph.

Nika Vladilen

Depends on the Christian.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Maltese_Falcon91
Xiam

Funny you should mention that. Scroll down to that last paragraph.

Not even surprised. Have you seen the way Christians talk about their love for Jesus? It honestly makes me a bit uncomfortable. It makes me wonder if I should leave the room and let them be alone with a crucifix and some lotion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff