Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Tycoon

5,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My people have 2 cursing word that are popular ...kotoh and koro...basically what this two word mean are:
1.the misfortune is good for you biggrin
2.a great misfortune to you biggrin

Oh we also have another word for cursing that is also popular...and it is bongkor or bongkoron...this curse word can be intrepetated as [insert anything that is bad in which the said person will shrink into the most disgracefull among the disgraceful]

Dapper Lunatic

CuAnnan
FlySammyJ
I heard a new one the other day that made me laugh - "I hope you step on a Lego!"

I'm quite partial to "May you step on a d4" where a d4 is a four sided die.
Ah, d4s. Gamer's caltrops.

Also, not sure about any non-English languages as I'm not really well enough versed in any of them to speak on it but The Icelandic Sagas would seem to indicate that verbal insults and such were best when in the form of on the spot poetry and song. Now for the magical kind there's a lot of other fun things to get into.

Liberal Dabbler

riadse96
Are we talking about Swearing or the Black Magic or cursing/hexing? sweatdrop

CalledTheRaven
Now for the magical kind there's a lot of other fun things to get into.

Referring to the OP,
CuAnnan
I'm not going to do what Hobo did, and cross compare some religious views on cursing/hexing/malediction/illwishing/whatever-term-your-system-of-belief-uses-here. Quite frankly I'm not sure I could do justice to anything other than the Roman Catholic Church, which would involve a copy-pasta from the Catechism.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to culturally ingrained linguistic curses, regardless of whether they are perceived to have any sort of metaphysical force behind them.

:: Edited for unintentional bitchiness. I shouldn't post before I have coffee. >.< ::

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
FlySammyJ
riadse96
Are we talking about Swearing or the Black Magic or cursing/hexing? sweatdrop

CalledTheRaven
Now for the magical kind there's a lot of other fun things to get into.

Referring to the OP,
CuAnnan
I'm not going to do what Hobo did, and cross compare some religious views on cursing/hexing/malediction/illwishing/whatever-term-your-system-of-belief-uses-here. Quite frankly I'm not sure I could do justice to anything other than the Roman Catholic Church, which would involve a copy-pasta from the Catechism.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to culturally ingrained linguistic curses, regardless of whether they are perceived to have any sort of metaphysical force behind them.

:: Edited for unintentional bitchiness. I shouldn't post before I have coffee. >.< ::

Yes. I am.
Whether there is actually any observable imperical effect, curses are pervasive and are therefore worthy of discussing for the sake of discussing.
Or there wouldn't be journal papers on the topic.
In fact, there are journal papers on "the curses of <culture X>", in particular in the various fields of anthropology.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff