Welcome to Gaia! ::

You're asking people who believe in an invisible, omnipotent man in the sky if curses are real.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian, but... I'm just saying, if there are people out there who believe in an invisible, omnipotent man in the sky, there ought to be room for belief in curses.

That said, I don't believe in curses, no. I have mixed feelings about ghosts and hauntings, though.

Friend

Do you believe in curses?
From a Christian perspective, no.
I would also honestly not base my opinion off of most of the answers I get off of a forum, you should go talk to a Pastor at your church about this.
Anyways, your passage is from the Old Testament and that punishment for sin was ruled out in the New Testament with the sacrifice of Christ, so you and your family's sins have been forgiven through his death.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
(I'm just saying this from what I know about what the religion believes.)
No I don't think there are such things as a "curse" from god.

I think there is only one "curse" we burden...and that is the inevitable of sin. Every person will commit a sin. There is no avoiding it, but there is such thing as striving to live a better life/cleaner life.

Exodus is found in the Old testament anyways.

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
...alright, I'm calm now.

Perhaps you should ask a different religious sect. Because, you know, the entirety of the Christian religion is devoted to proving the fallacies and falsities of curses and omens and whatnot from other religious faiths?

If you ask a Christian person, they're likely to reply no because, apparently, these things are nothing "compared to the power of God" or something like that.

For example, Jesus apparently denied the reality of divination techniques like tarot readings. Of course, he likely did this because people went to these proclaimed psychics and such for answers to their daily problems; they were going to the 'divine' instead of themselves for their personal issues, which really shouldn't be how things are done.
Im a Christian and if angels are real and blessings are real then I guess that means demons and curses are also real. The power behind curses come from the persons belief in them, if you dont believe in them then you should be okay

Benevolent Cutie-Pie

13,100 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I will share with you, what I read today.

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. – Romans 5:2-6

There are always second chances with God.

Devoted Sweetheart

I'm sorry, I know this is terribly off subject, but it's one of my absolute biggest peeves.
Catholics are Christian.
Definition of a Christian:
Quote:
Adjective
Of, relating to, or professing Christianity or its teachings.
Noun
A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Followed by definition of Christianity:
Quote:
Noun
The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices

In no way is there a difference between a Catholic and a "Christian," any more than the differences between Baptists/Methodists/etc and Lutherans/Episcopalians/Adventists/insertanyotherdenomination here.

That aside, I went to parochial school for 13 years. If you have faith in Christ and all that, then you're not going to be punished for the sins of your ancestors.

Blessed Giver

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
BATCATGIRL

No, curses do not exist. God, in the Old Testament, punished particular groups in a way that might seem like a "curse". If people were disobedient to his commands or just straight up didn't have faith in him, he would punish them. Two examples from the old testament would be the Israelite people who escaped Egypt and the Moabites. Because of their disobedience and lack of faith, God made the the Israelite people wonder the wilderness for 40 years before he would allow them to enter the land he promised them. The Moabites were punished by being blocked from worshiping or interacting with God for 10 generations because of their disrespect. I wouldn't consider these "curses" though. This is more like a parent punishing his children. But, this was the Old Testament. Jesus taking on the burden of our sins prevents any of that from happening anymore. It's true that God does not bless sin, but he doesn't punish anyone (so never believe people who claim that a natural disaster is God's wrath for sin. That completely goes against what God says).

So, in summation, no one you know is "cursed". If someone's life isn't going well, they should examine their personal decisions, not blame God.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff