Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm asking all Catholic or Christians to answer this question for me please.

Is it possible that a family could be under a curse by God from an ancestor who broke one of the 10 commandments and so God curse the family from 1 generation to 4th?

I only got this idea from reading a book by Derek Prince called Curses and Blessing.
I read this because my mum thinks well she has had this feeling for a long time that she is under a curse. It does say in the bible here
Exodus 34:6-7 - "And He [the Lord] passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, 'The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished; He punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'

I'm just wondering if any Catholics or Christians believe this.
If so how do I discover what is causing the curse. I know it sounds crazy what I'm saying.
Such things are possible, and there is only one way to fix it. Stop drinking.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Fermionic

I don't drink. I hardly drink.

Hallowed Hunter

BATCATGIRL
Fermionic

Well, which is it?

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Admiral Dardanos
BATCATGIRL
Fermionic

Well, which is it?
what? confused
BATCATGIRL
Admiral Dardanos
BATCATGIRL
Fermionic

Well, which is it?
what? confused

do you not drink, or do you hardly drink?

this isn't rocket science, gurl.

unlike the cocktail i just made!

Interesting Citizen

Not since the New Covenant, no.
Jesus paid the price for all that on the cross.
Here's why

Timid Explorer

The real curse isn't that a generation did something bad that cursed the next generations after that, it's just sin.(Romans 5:12) What was happening was that one generation passed their sin to the next, then still that generation passed on their sin to the next and so on. (Exodus 20:5) But no, you are not cursed for your past generations sin or your parents sin or whoever's sin, you're only responsible for your own. ( Ezekiel 18:20)

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
silvershadowedwings
The real curse isn't that a generation did something bad that cursed the next generations after that, it's just sin.(Romans 5:12) What was happening was that one generation passed their sin to the next, then still that generation passed on their sin to the next and so on. (Exodus 20:5) But no, you are not cursed for your past generations sin or your parents sin or whoever's sin, you're only responsible for your own. ( Ezekiel 18:20)

Your sure?

Timid Explorer

BATCATGIRL
silvershadowedwings

Your sure?

Positive.
Read the passages given.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
What you are experiencing is the semantic placebo of voodoo.

The Bible contains many voodoo-like passages which call upon negative emotions within the reader. These negative emotions lead those who read the bible into comitting certain deeds or acting in certain ways due to the suggestion of the literature.

If, for example, you are a lusty person who likes to sleep around every now and then; You might find yourself frightened or disturbed by certain passages which suggest harlots should be stoned or married off to their rapists, etc.

These passages are intended to both impose guilt and cause individuals to undo themselves through literature.

It's virtually no different from your average high schooler's black magic voodoo word casting. They tell you that you're going to run into trouble, that your boyfriend is going to leave you, or that you're bound to have bad weather sometime soon...

...the listener, in the meantime, does all the work of harming and convincing themselves that the voodoo curse is real. This is why superstitions are so prevalent. It's not because they work in any objective or true sense, but because people who listen will go out of their way to harm or bring misfortune upon themselves to self fulfill the curse.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
xXZirkannia
Not since the New Covenant, no.
Jesus paid the price for all that on the cross.
Here's why

That was very interesting what you send to me thankyou biggrin
I would say no but then I was struck with one so.... yes.

Widow

Tipsy Dog

BATCATGIRL

If God's dishing out the blessing, then he's dishing out the curses. Most of the time Christians tend to focus on one aspect of God's characteristics, which is often his great love. Sure it's, good, he does love, but he also had many other traits, be it justice, mercy and hatred. Yes, he does hate, specifically sin. Even the 'Christian God' loathes sinful behavior, and he loves the sinner though. If God's to blame for the good, he's to blame for the bad.

I don't think you really understand what a 'curse' is. Think of it like the opposite of a blessing. A curse from God is not like some sensationalized, witchcraft, business like what you might see in a movie. In no way are you enslaved by God's curse, we can do all things through Christ, including 'getting through' a curse from God. Through suffering, character, perseverance and hope is built. This is just how life works. God never allows us to be exposed to a temptation we cannot overcome, and we always will overcome it with God's help, despite how bad it may seem.

I think it's been mentioned that yes, that Exodus passage was overthrown. We're no longer under the curse of the law through the blood of Christ. However, we're all still cursed with a sinful nature. It's not something people enjoy talking about, but many believe God curses family lines, I do too. Children tend to mimic the behavior of their parents. So, if a child is exposed to a violent parent, they are more likely to be violent themselves. The same applies to alcohol, drug use, divorce, religion, unhealthy eating, finances, etc. It's human nature of behave like our parents and some of these traits just get passed from one generation to the next and the next. Ha, generally it take 2-4 generations before we see improvement. Some people also believe illness, mental or physical, are sometimes God curses upon our family line. And we brought it all upon ourselves, under God's permission, that's sin in action and that's its ugly consequence upon us. We're not cursed by God's wrath towards our sin, but by the very nature of sin itself.

Now, is God mad at your mother because her great grandfather stole something? No, I believe someone here even brought up some passages. It's her sin alone that God is judging. God loves expressing his great mercy and forgiveness upon us, and he blesses those who obey his commands. If your mother feels as if she's being cursed by God, she could very much have some sins she needs to repent from. Or God could be exposing her to hardship to increase her faith and such business. I have no idea, God doesn't ask permission to do things. It may sound silly, but she should probably just ask God what's going on and reaed Psalm 18. It's way too long to quote.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kuroko and the Lamb
BATCATGIRL

If God's dishing out the blessing, then he's dishing out the curses. Most of the time Christians tend to focus on one aspect of God's characteristics, which is often his great love. Sure it's, good, he does love, but he also had many other traits, be it justice, mercy and hatred. Yes, he does hate, specifically sin. Even the 'Christian God' loathes sinful behavior, and he loves the sinner though. If God's to blame for the good, he's to blame for the bad.

I don't think you really understand what a 'curse' is. Think of it like the opposite of a blessing. A curse from God is not like some sensationalized, witchcraft, business like what you might see in a movie. In no way are you enslaved by God's curse, we can do all things through Christ, including 'getting through' a curse from God. Through suffering, character, perseverance and hope is built. This is just how life works. God never allows us to be exposed to a temptation we cannot overcome, and we always will overcome it with God's help, despite how bad it may seem.

I think it's been mentioned that yes, that Exodus passage was overthrown. We're no longer under the curse of the law through the blood of Christ. However, we're all still cursed with a sinful nature. It's not something people enjoy talking about, but many believe God curses family lines, I do too. Children tend to mimic the behavior of their parents. So, if a child is exposed to a violent parent, they are more likely to be violent themselves. The same applies to alcohol, drug use, divorce, religion, unhealthy eating, finances, etc. It's human nature of behave like our parents and some of these traits just get passed from one generation to the next and the next. Ha, generally it take 2-4 generations before we see improvement. Some people also believe illness, mental or physical, are sometimes God curses upon our family line. And we brought it all upon ourselves, under God's permission, that's sin in action and that's its ugly consequence upon us. We're not cursed by God's wrath towards our sin, but by the very nature of sin itself.

Now, is God mad at your mother because her great grandfather stole something? No, I believe someone here even brought up some passages. It's her sin alone that God is judging. God loves expressing his great mercy and forgiveness upon us, and he blesses those who obey his commands. If your mother feels as if she's being cursed by God, she could very much have some sins she needs to repent from. Or God could be exposing her to hardship to increase her faith and such business. I have no idea, God doesn't ask permission to do things. It may sound silly, but she should probably just ask God what's going on and reaed Psalm 18. It's way too long to quote.

Thank you for your advice

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces