Welcome to Gaia! ::

Abendago
Very good, it looks like somoone did some studying. Anyway, one reference you made to the Septuagint; this is what is now refferred to as the first five books in the Bible; Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

You mean the Septuagint = the Torah? Well... no. The Septuagint - often abreviated LXX for the number of translators (it's Greek translation of the Old Testament) in fact contains all the books of the Protestant Old Testament and the entire Duterocanon. It's still the canonical Old Testament for the Orthodox churches, I believe.
Psilan
Abendago
Very good, it looks like somoone did some studying. Anyway, one reference you made to the Septuagint; this is what is now refferred to as the first five books in the Bible; Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

You mean the Septuagint = the Torah? Well... no. The Septuagint - often abreviated LXX for the number of translators (it's Greek translation of the Old Testament) in fact contains all the books of the Protestant Old Testament and the entire Duterocanon. It's still the canonical Old Testament for the Orthodox churches, I believe.
Isn't the Septuagint Aramaic?

But anyway, I think that Abendago was thinking of "Pentateuch," the Greco-Latin version of "Torah."
Psilan
Abendago

Then how do you explain the Sep, which is Latin for five?
never mind that, I looked it up and found the flaw in what I said.
I was in fact thinking of the Pentateuch. Thank you.
So is the Septuagint included in the Bible as standardized Christianity knows it?
Whom
Isn't the Septuagint Aramaic?

Nope. It's Greek. It's actually the version of the Old Testament that gospel authors quote. (Well... with that exception in Matthew, where we don't know what he's quoting)

Quote:
So is the Septuagint included in the Bible as standardized Christianity knows it?

Well... yes and no. Eastern orthodoxy, yes. Protestant and Catholic Bibles have (most of) its contents, but go back to the Hebrew from which it was translated before translating into English. (Excpet for those books in the Deuterocanon which were originally written in Greek)
Hmmmm.....I'm afraid I must add something here. You said that there are many versions of the OT, which is quite correct. However, I think you missed the reason for this. It's because the translations of the Hebrew text can vary greatly, depending on the beliefs of the reader. You see, the OT was written with no vowels, which leaves a lot of room for discussion about whether this word is referring to, say, the knee, or if it's referring to a blessing. -smiles- That may sound like a far-fetched example, but, in fact, the root of the word "bless" is the same three letters as the root of the word for "knee". Therefore, at times you can disagree with what the bible says, by merely translating it differently. -blinks- So, you were correct when you said that the best way to find out what the bible says is to go back to the origional texts and translate it yourself. Becuase you might translate it differently than others have.
*Usual rant about how the Bible is meant to by for faith, by faith, and of faith. How the Bible is not meant to be a factual or historical document, but meant to be allegorical so that it can convey the message of the Divine, blah, blah, blah*
*Usual rant about how the Bible is meant to by for faith, by faith, and of faith. How the Bible is not meant to be a factual or historical document, but meant to be allegorical so that it can convey the message of the Divine, blah, blah, blah*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff