Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sinner
I repeat:

AND GAIA IS A COMPLETELY ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Of course everyone in the world comes on gaia. stare
No duh it is a representation of how some of the people in the world think about certain things but how does that disprove that there is a large amount of attacks on Christianity on gaia?
DarkFerret
Vryko Lakas
DarkFerret
I find the attempt to remove "under God" from the pledge of allegiance a small attack on christianity.

Why?

Must everyone keep taking what I say out of context. This was just a small example I thought of off the top of my head because I couldn't think of a better one at the time. It is in fact a crummy example. I was just using it as a starting point for a discussion.

(Psst. That's not taking it out of context. That pointing out that you made a mistake.)
Sinner
DarkFerret
Vryko Lakas
DarkFerret
I find the attempt to remove "under God" from the pledge of allegiance a small attack on christianity.

Why?

Must everyone keep taking what I say out of context. This was just a small example I thought of off the top of my head because I couldn't think of a better one at the time. It is in fact a crummy example. I was just using it as a starting point for a discussion.

(Psst. That's not taking it out of context. That pointing out that you made a mistake.)

He said the first part of what I said. And left out the second part which further explains the first part. That my friend is taking something out of context.
"Under God" is not terribly important, and if I were an American, I wouldn't care whether that was in there or not. There are so many other more important things to worry about, that it really does make the people fighting for or against that seem fairly petty.

But I believe that Christianity is slammed a lot more these days as a repercussion of the whole campaign against gays. There is a quote that seems to suit these days very well though, "In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners."---Jonathon Miller.
DarkFerret
He said the first part of what I said. And left out the second part which further explains the first part. That my friend is taking something out of context.

He didn't take it out of context. It was intended as an example to support your claim, and it failed since it sucked. He pointed that out. That's not taking something out of context, genius. Just because he didn't quote it doesn't mean that he didn't take it into account.

DarkFerret
Sinner
I repeat:

No duh it is a representation of how some of the people in the world think about certain things but how does that disprove that there is a large amount of attacks on Christianity on gaia?

It doesn't. What it does is show that it's irrelevant that Christianity is attacked on Gaia. It doesn't help prove your point at all.
Sinner
DarkFerret

He didn't take it out of context. It was intended as an example to support your claim, and it failed since it sucked. He pointed that out. That's not taking something out of context, genius.

DarkFerret
Sinner
I repeat:

It doesn't. What it does is show that it's irrelevant that Christianity is attacked on Gaia. It doesn't help prove your point at all.

How is it irrelevant that Christianity is attacked on Gaia when my whole point is that Christianity is attacked too much?

Wheezing Gekko

DarkFerret
You mentioned the phrase "Separation of Church and State". This phrase as I have seen has been warped in peoples' minds to mean, "separation of christianity and the rest of the world".

Actually, it's mainly used in reference to Christianity because the majority of offenses against it are comitted by Christians or Christian-affiliated groups, or they indicate a biased towards specifically Judeo-Christian ideas.
The most vocal and visible groups that would infringe upon SoCaS are Christian groups, usually some sort of fundamentalists. They draw a lot of unnecessary attention. However, I have not seen any examples of violations of SoCaS that are NOT Christian or Judeo-Christian in nature, have you? Where does it say "In Osiris We Trust?" Are we "One Nation, Under Thor?" Is there ever a government ceremony opened with praise to Apollo?
It's not that more strict enforcement of SoCaS is specifically an attack on Christianity, it just happens that the biggest offender is Christianity and so that's what gets scrutinized.
DarkFerret
How is it irrelevant that Christianity is attacked on Gaia when my whole point is that Christianity is attacked too much?

Because Gaia represents a tiny, pitiful fraction of the world's population. And it isn't even close to being a random selection either.

If you wanted to back up your point, you'd use surveys and large-scale cultural phenomenon. Not a forum on a website.

Wheezing Gekko

DarkFerret

No, genius. You listed the Pledge controversy as an example of Christianity being attacked. This is separate from any bashing Gaians give Christianity. I isolated your example and I was perfectly justified in doing so since it doesn't have anything to do with Gaia Online.
You failed to show how trying to remove "Under God" from the Pledge is an attack on Christianity.
Sinner

Sinner
Because Gaia represents a tiny, pitiful fraction of the world's population.

methinks I see a problem here
DarkFerret
Sinner

Sinner
Because Gaia represents a tiny, pitiful fraction of the world's population.

methinks I see a problem here

...you're not honestly that dense, are you?

Okay, maybe you don't understand this. The parts in all caps? SARCASM. Except that bit. That was emphasis.

Familiar Citizen

Honestly you three!!
The debate you got yourselves into is pointless.
It will never end. This is just "I'm right!" "No I'm right!" kind of thing.
Tell me what the point of it is other than arguing for the sake of it!?
This has gone way away from the original meaning of the thread which was "To discuss how (or how not) Christianity is being bashed" Not "Let's look into the fine details of how the guy posted and start arguing over the way he worded something!"

Seriously...
This is very immature stare

Can't we just get back to the original meaning...?
Mameoyashi
Honestly you three!!
This has gone way away from the original meaning of the thread which was "To discuss how (or how not) Christianity is being bashed" Not "Let's look into the fine details of how the guy posted and start arguing over the way he worded something!"

Seriously...

yes, please

Wheezing Gekko

Mameoyashi

That's exactly what I'm debating.
Mameoyashi
Honestly you three!!

What're you smokin'?

Mameoyashi

To prove that this kid is wrong?

That's enough for me.

Mameoyashi

Tough. Arguments are almost always decided by the details.

Mameoyashi
Seriously...

Aww, don't you feel smart. Lookit you, you can tell off people! Too bad you haven't given any valid reasons for why we should stop.

Mameoyashi

No thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces