Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Streaker

Ontological Empiricism
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic
and the evangelists don't believe catholics are christian, which i find hilarious.
To be fair, there are Catholics who don't consider Catholicism to be part of Christianity.

My step-dad is a Christian who says that Catholics who tithe are "buying their way into Heaven", but his tithing is completely different.
I believe there's a word for that:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sounds like another case of "my version of Christianity is the right one and all the other versions are wrong" that is all too common in the religion.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
rmcdra
Xiam
rmcdra
Xiam

rmcdra
Also no where do I see included "A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs."

Sorry, I was using a different dictionary definition which gave me the "unorthodox beliefs." And I learned the "small religion" thing a good while ago. Either from college or some other book on it. Or Wikipedia.
Cult is the outdated term for new religious movement. Is that what you meant?

Does that mean Wikipedia is outdated...?
Fermionic
Ooooh Wikipedia

Ooooh sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult
While most scholars no longer refer to any new religious movements as cults, some sociologists still favor retaining the word as it was used in church-sect typologies. For this value-neutral use of the word, please refer to new religious movements. Other scholars and non-academic researchers who use the word do so from explicitly critical perspectives which focus on the relationship between cult groups and the individual people who join them. These perspectives share the assumption that some form of coercive persuasion or mind control is used to recruit and maintain members by suppressing their ability to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest. However, most social scientists believe that mind control theories have no scientific merit in relation to religious movements.
Looks like you didn't examine your link very well.

No, I'd say that fits my view on the subject quite well.

Why, did I not express myself correctly?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam
rmcdra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult
While most scholars no longer refer to any new religious movements as cults, some sociologists still favor retaining the word as it was used in church-sect typologies. For this value-neutral use of the word, please refer to new religious movements. Other scholars and non-academic researchers who use the word do so from explicitly critical perspectives which focus on the relationship between cult groups and the individual people who join them. These perspectives share the assumption that some form of coercive persuasion or mind control is used to recruit and maintain members by suppressing their ability to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest. However, most social scientists believe that mind control theories have no scientific merit in relation to religious movements.
Looks like you didn't examine your link very well.

No, I'd say that fits my view on the subject quite well.

Why, did I not express myself correctly?
Yes your usage of the word cult is a pejorative. Glad we have that established now.
rmcdra
Yes your usage of the word cult is a pejorative. Glad we have that established now.

Your use of pejorative is pejorative! The whole dang system is pejorative!

...okay, I don't know what pejorative means.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Anon E. Mouse
rmcdra

pejorative - having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force: the pejorative affix -ling in princeling.

As a noun, a pejorative form or word
rmcdra
Anon E. Mouse
rmcdra

pejorative - having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force: the pejorative affix -ling in princeling.

...and one for you:

Fustigate, Noun.

1) Cudgel
2) to criticize severely. 3nodding

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Anon E. Mouse
rmcdra
Anon E. Mouse
rmcdra

...and one for you:

Fustigate, Noun.

1) Cudgel
2) to criticize severely. 3nodding
My vocabulary has expanded. I gained 30 exp.
rmcdra
My vocabulary has expanded. I gained 30 exp.

Okay, one more!
Phlogiston - A theoretical substance thought to exist in combustible materials, which was brought out during the act of combustion.
Xiam
rmcdra
Xiam

rmcdra
Also no where do I see included "A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs."

Sorry, I was using a different dictionary definition which gave me the "unorthodox beliefs." And I learned the "small religion" thing a good while ago. Either from college or some other book on it. Or Wikipedia.
Cult is the outdated term for new religious movement. Is that what you meant?

Does that mean Wikipedia is outdated...?
Fermionic
Ooooh Wikipedia

Ooooh sources.

I know, it's reliable when cited, I was just trying to sound like all of my teachers.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm failing to understand the logic here.

Ferocious Browser

Tuah
I think this is actually becoming a more mainstream thing. "Christianity is reality, so we don't have to call it religion."

Here's a famous twit: ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

emotion_0A0

That sort of phrasing explains a lot of what's been happening.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
whisperkid12
classic trashic
and the evangelists don't believe catholics are christian, which i find hilarious.

Christian [unfortunately] (Let me explain) Catholics believe that part of salvation involves works when that is disproven at several points in the bible

My youth pastor also brought up Mormonism in the same message... If what he said is true, I'd honestly believe Scientology over that

you do realize all the protestant religions are based off of catholocism?

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic
To be fair, there are Catholics who don't consider Catholicism to be part of Christianity.

that's probably because they don't want to be associated with those crazy evangelists.

Eloquent Streaker

classic trashic
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic

that's probably because they don't want to be associated with those crazy evangelists.
Because there totally aren't any Catholic fundie asswipes at all.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic

Because there totally aren't any Catholic fundie asswipes at all.

oh. there are. but they tend not to be as extreme.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff