Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
rmcdra
Xiam

Of course I'm using the colloquial definition.

But no. A cult is a religion, but a religion is not a cult.

Or maybe it's vice-versa. After all, a cult following is not necessarily a religion. Oh, wow, lots of people love The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's not like they worship Frank N. Furter.

Actually, you know what? How's this? Not all religions are cults, and not all cults are religions.
if you are using the colloquial definition then you are right not all religions are cults. But the colloquial definition is too subjective to say anything meaningful other than personal biases just saying.

Lots of words are like that, you know. I mean, I could call someone a dipshit, but there's not exactly an objective description of what qualifies as a "dipshit."

Then again, maybe that's the problem.

But judging by the actual definition of "cult," not only religions apply, but also hard atheism and scientific empiricism.

I'll acknowledge Definition 1 if you acknowledge Definitions 2-5.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Nityananda-rama dasa
rmcdra
if you are using the colloquial definition then you are right not all religions are cults. But the colloquial definition is too subjective to say anything meaningful other than personal biases just saying.

TT-TT

Y u no call out switch referencing?
Not thinking straight. Just woke up.

Devout Fairy

Xiam

But judging by the actual definition of "cult," not only religions apply, but also hard atheism and scientific empiricism.

They lack veneration.

Christianity fits all of the definitions, save number three, which Christ fits.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam

Lots of words are like that, you know. I mean, I could call someone a dipshit, but there's not exactly an objective description of what qualifies as a "dipshit."

Then again, maybe that's the problem.
The problem is that your using the word "cult" as a pejorative. It's pointless to use the word this way in extended discussion since it doesn't contribute anything.

Quote:
No it wouldn't since they aren't religions.
As Nityananda-rama dasa pointed out, they lack veneration.

cult
a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
Please point out how I'm ignoring any of these definition. Also no where do I see included "A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs."

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Nityananda-rama dasa
Xiam

They lack veneration.

They venerate the scientific method pretty hard...

rmcdra
Also no where do I see included "A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs."

Sorry, I was using a different dictionary definition which gave me the "unorthodox beliefs." And I learned the "small religion" thing a good while ago. Either from college or some other book on it. Or Wikipedia.

Devout Fairy

Xiam

By which definition?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Nityananda-rama dasa
Xiam

By which definition?

? neutral

Devout Fairy

Xiam

? neutral

Veneration basically means "worship"

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam

rmcdra
Also no where do I see included "A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs."

Sorry, I was using a different dictionary definition which gave me the "unorthodox beliefs." And I learned the "small religion" thing a good while ago. Either from college or some other book on it. Or Wikipedia.
Cult is the outdated term for new religious movement. Is that what you meant?
Xiam
Nityananda-rama dasa
Xiam

They lack veneration.

rmcdra

Ooooh Wikipedia

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
rmcdra
Xiam

rmcdra

Does that mean Wikipedia is outdated...?
Fermionic
Ooooh Wikipedia

Ooooh sources.

Friendly Phantom

Murkier
Depends on the definition of religion.
Depends on point of view. Christians defining themselves vs everyone else defining Christians.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam
rmcdra
Xiam

rmcdra

Does that mean Wikipedia is outdated...?
Fermionic
Ooooh Wikipedia

Ooooh sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult
While most scholars no longer refer to any new religious movements as cults, some sociologists still favor retaining the word as it was used in church-sect typologies. For this value-neutral use of the word, please refer to new religious movements. Other scholars and non-academic researchers who use the word do so from explicitly critical perspectives which focus on the relationship between cult groups and the individual people who join them. These perspectives share the assumption that some form of coercive persuasion or mind control is used to recruit and maintain members by suppressing their ability to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest. However, most social scientists believe that mind control theories have no scientific merit in relation to religious movements.
Looks like you didn't examine your link very well.

Eloquent Streaker

classic trashic
and the evangelists don't believe catholics are christian, which i find hilarious.
To be fair, there are Catholics who don't consider Catholicism to be part of Christianity.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Requiem in Mortis
classic trashic
and the evangelists don't believe catholics are christian, which i find hilarious.
To be fair, there are Catholics who don't consider Catholicism to be part of Christianity.

My step-dad is a Christian who says that Catholics who tithe are "buying their way into Heaven", but his tithing is completely different.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff