• Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
deadmanjay
rmcdra
Galswintha
Anon E. Mouse
Galswintha
Christians believe in God, follows the Bible with all its "thou shalt's and "shalt not", go to church every Sunday, yet it's not considered an organized religion? How is that possible? It's not spontaneous; there are churches everywhere. So how can it only be a relationship with Jesus Christ and not a religion?

Who said Christianity isn't a religion?

Saved_by_the_Grace_of_God, a member here.
Yeah Christianity is a religion.

No it's not! Its a relationship with Jesus that makes you feel dirty. You Christians are just hiding the truth from everyone.

What rmcdra said I guess.

Inappropriately Touched by an Angel?

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
It's more of a Religious Cult than just a simple religion.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Psychotic Canine
Religions are cults. Redundant much?

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

Christiany/Catholicism are the only religions I'm aware of and certain that practice the rape of women, the endorsing of slavery, and other abominations upon Humanity.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Psychotic Canine
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

Christiany/Catholicism are the only religions I'm aware of and certain that practice the rape of women, the endorsing of slavery, and other abominations upon Humanity.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
2356 Rape is the forcible violation of the sexual intimacy of another person. It does injury to justice and charity. Rape deeply wounds the respect, freedom, and physical and moral integrity to which every person has a right. It causes grave damage that can mark the victim for life. It is always an intrinsically evil act. Graver still is the rape of children committed by parents (incest) or those responsible for the education of the children entrusted to them.

2414 The seventh commandment forbids acts or enterprises that for any reason - selfish or ideological, commercial, or totalitarian - lead to the enslavement of human beings, to their being bought, sold and exchanged like merchandise, in disregard for their personal dignity. It is a sin against the dignity of persons and their fundamental rights to reduce them by violence to their productive value or to a source of profit. St. Paul directed a Christian master to treat his Christian slave "no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother, . . . both in the flesh and in the Lord."

Both are condemned by Catholic Teachings and I'm pretty confident most sects of Christianity looks down on those things too. Want to try again?

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

2356 Rape is the forcible violation of the sexual intimacy of another person. It does injury to justice and charity. Rape deeply wounds the respect, freedom, and physical and moral integrity to which every person has a right. It causes grave damage that can mark the victim for life. It is always an intrinsically evil act. Graver still is the rape of children committed by parents (incest) or those responsible for the education of the children entrusted to them.

2414 The seventh commandment forbids acts or enterprises that for any reason - selfish or ideological, commercial, or totalitarian - lead to the enslavement of human beings, to their being bought, sold and exchanged like merchandise, in disregard for their personal dignity. It is a sin against the dignity of persons and their fundamental rights to reduce them by violence to their productive value or to a source of profit. St. Paul directed a Christian master to treat his Christian slave "no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother, . . . both in the flesh and in the Lord."

Both are condemned by Catholic Teachings and I'm pretty confident most sects of Christianity looks down on those things too. Want to try again?

Well the Bible has a scripture which is pretty much a "How to beat your slave for Dummies", and the Bible still has scriptures which are sexist and downright wrong to the core, such as cutting off a woman's hand for trying to hold him back from a fist-fight by grabbing him by the crotch.

Just because the Church "condemns" rape, does that neccesarily mean it disappears from the Bible? If not, who is at fault, the Creator, or his Followers?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Psychotic Canine

Well the Bible has a scripture which is pretty much a "How to beat your slave for Dummies", and the Bible still has scriptures which are sexist and downright wrong to the core, such as cutting off a woman's hand for trying to hold him back from a fist-fight by grabbing him by the crotch.

Just because the Church "condemns" rape, does that neccesarily mean it disappears from the Bible? If not, who is at fault, the Creator, or his Followers?
*Yawn* Catholic Church teachings are co-authoritive with the Bible and there is a thing called context and non-literalism.

Considering that many verses depend on context and the law of agape, fault lies on the followers.

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

*Yawn* Catholic Church teachings are co-authoritive with the Bible and there is a thing called context and non-literalism.

Considering that many verses depend on context and the law of agape, fault lies on the followers.

Would you mind yelling at the Pope for me to fix his religion's book for me?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Psychotic Canine
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

Would you mind yelling at the Pope for me to fix his religion's book for me?

They are. more
Depends on the definition of religion.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

Not all religions are cults. A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs.

Interestingly enough, Christianity does play itself off like what most people in media and such see as a cult. It involves particularly dark subjects such as ritual cannibalism. It threatens and coerces people into believing (threat of Hell anyone?) and - most importantly - it glorifies a mortal human being as a god.

I'm not saying it is a cult, but...

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

Not all religions are cults. A cult is generally defined as a smaller religion, usually of unorthodox beliefs.

Interestingly enough, Christianity does play itself off like what most people in media and such see as a cult. It involves particularly dark subjects such as ritual cannibalism. It threatens and coerces people into believing (threat of Hell anyone?) and - most importantly - it glorifies a mortal human being as a god.

You are using the colloquial definition of a cult. A cult is the totality of external religious practice and observance. Yes Christianity is cult and so are all other religions.

cult

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
rmcdra
Xiam
rmcdra
Psychotic Canine

You are using the colloquial definition of a cult. A cult is the totality of external religious practice and observance. Yes Christianity is cult and so are all other religions.

cult

Of course I'm using the colloquial definition.

But no. A cult is a religion, but a religion is not a cult.

Or maybe it's vice-versa. After all, a cult following is not necessarily a religion. Oh, wow, lots of people love The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's not like they worship Frank N. Furter.

Actually, you know what? How's this? Not all religions are cults, and not all cults are religions.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Xiam

Of course I'm using the colloquial definition.

But no. A cult is a religion, but a religion is not a cult.

Or maybe it's vice-versa. After all, a cult following is not necessarily a religion. Oh, wow, lots of people love The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's not like they worship Frank N. Furter.

Actually, you know what? How's this? Not all religions are cults, and not all cults are religions.
if you are using the colloquial definition then you are right not all religions are cults. But the colloquial definition is too subjective to say anything meaningful other than personal biases just saying.

Devout Fairy

rmcdra
if you are using the colloquial definition then you are right not all religions are cults. But the colloquial definition is too subjective to say anything meaningful other than personal biases just saying.

TT-TT

Y u no call out switch referencing?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas