Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lamb Chops.
Oh my god. How they spoke of Soul Calibur 2 in the reviews make me laugh so damn hard. And want to smash their heads in.

As did I. So what if Ivy's freakin' hot? Most Christian kids won't see that much skin until they're like, friggin' 30 anyway. Let them live a little.
I'm a Christian and I play FF, SCII and some other games, thier just games they aren't gonna affect me as long as I keep in a daily walk with the lord.
Even if they are just games, many software companies still take extra precautionary measures and remove stuff from games that might serve as questionable religious content. Which baffles the hell out of me.

Examples:

In the .hack// game series, Skieth's wand was edited so when he attacked, it wouldnt look like the victim was being crucified (a common way of killing around the time of christ, he wasnt the only one subjected to it).

The Strategy RPG, La Pucelle, was (deep sigh) heavily edited for religious content (crosses, god references, etc.) curse words, smoking and even some clothing designs.

Why is it that videogames are edited, yet manga such as Chrono Crusade can slip on by? I honestly question the priorities of some of these companies, if a game like Grand Theft Auto can have people beating up hookers and attacking people with dildos, yet a few religious references are deemed "going to far".

Sure, companies can freely advertise t-shirts and products with jesus and the virgin mary on them, but heaven forbid a religious reference be used in a video game.
Yes. Much like how Nintendo had pretty much made a vow to NEVER make any games with ANY type of religious references in it. The only game they made like that was Illusions of Gaia on Super Nintendo. They only made a limited million of them because of the controversy it got. It mentioned stuff from the bible, like the Tower of Babel, and other things like that.
Knight Reaver
Yes. Much like how Nintendo had pretty much made a vow to NEVER make any games with ANY type of religious references in it. The only game they made like that was Illusions of Gaia on Super Nintendo. They only made a limited million of them because of the controversy it got. It mentioned stuff from the bible, like the Tower of Babel, and other things like that.
I'm lucky enough to be able to say that I actually own a copy of that game mrgreen

2,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Just because there are bad things in this world doesn't mean me Have to subject our kids to them. If you are going from a religious standpoint, Jesus wanted us to remain pure. Even if you say that it doesn't effect you, it still puts things into your mind, makes you accept them. I know a story of a young girl who was raise by a loving christian family. They didn't have a tv. One ay the girl and her mom go to a store where there's a tv. The girl says to her mom "There's naked men on the tv." The mom looks, and sees that the men have their shirts off, but thats it. What is your opinion. Did the parents shelter the little girl too much, or is it actually not biblically acceptable to "show skin"? And remember, even if it is a cartoon, isn't even real. Think to the first time you saw a picture of a person without clothes. I bet you can still remember every detail. You can say that it doesn't matter, but still, the bible says that you should only see your spouse like that. It'll always be there, even if you don't think of it. This is why some people dont like games with violence or nudity.
"bible says that you should only see your spouse like that. It'll always be there, even if you don't think of it. This is why some people dont like games with violence or nudity."

I'd aruge that since the alleged maker of the human form, made humans in his image, that no human form should be shunned. If woman came from man, and GOd made man, than God made woman too. Point is, the human body is a temple and should be regarded as such, not hidden like an original sin. Just my opinion. I believe Paul even said something to the effect, that God said "Don't call what I have made impure or unclean". Which is a reason why christians don't have any foods they cannot eat.
i don't give a toss wats in a video game i only care if its a gd game or not derrrrrrrr
stare stare stare stare
Deep Vermillion
Ironically, I don't know of any game that would turn a person against Christ and all he represents more than Wisdom Tree's atrocious Bible Adventures.
Okay, okay. Again, I've nothing to contribute. But when I was a (younger) kid, a very Christian friend of mine had this game. It was <i>hilarious</i>. It was the most pathetic game ever, and I don't remember what system it was for (I think it was for the Genesis...), but it wasn't this NES one. The funniest thing was that for some reason you had to put it in the system and then another game in it, as though it alone didn't have enough circuitry to be self-sufficient. In retrospect perhaps it was some version that would be easier to hack...

Heh, and this is the same friend whose mother wouldn't allow him to play Dungeons and Dragons 'cause it was "satanic"!

EDIT: And, as others have said, many games have religious references. I think there was a similar topic a few weeks ago about Xenogears.
Games like the Devil May Cry series, Chaos Legion, Shadow Man, Bugenki and etc, I can't really get enough of. I know about the appearence and story line for the game, but I play it for the interest. Even though it's a sin, but I can't help to destroy demons and etc. Playing with full bleed demons and half demons is a mere taunt of Satan, because they are the good guys.
Eh- this is old news. Fundies have been tearing down at anything "fun" they can get their hands on longer than you or I have been alive. Before video games, it was tv. Before that, card games and tabletop games, Before that movies. Anything that becomes popular is considered evil in their eyes because non-Christians like it. bleh on fundies xp
Hmm... Well in Final Fantasy Tatics the church and the princess praying was very religiousish, they could've put a christian spin on it ninja

Or have you seen the Simpsons when Rod and Todd are playing their conversion video game? xd
When there is a religious reaction to a game, I always wish that I was able to tell them that though you can do something bad in a game (and its pretend) it's a damn sight easier to do something much worse in real life.
Having just followed the links to the reviewers I'm struggling to keep the bile from rising from my gullet.

The overall theme is exactly what you'd expect; Christian hypocrisy. If the game is a total bloodbath, then so long as there are no naughty words, it's a-okay!

On the Christian review site, the guy rates Doom 3 lower because of all the satanic stuff in it.

HELLO? You're supposed to fight evil! Isn't that the whole point of the game?

Freaking dumbasses. Grr.
gigacannon
Having just followed the links to the reviewers I'm struggling to keep the bile from rising from my gullet.

The overall theme is exactly what you'd expect; Christian hypocrisy. If the game is a total bloodbath, then so long as there are no naughty words, it's a-okay!

On the Christian review site, the guy rates Doom 3 lower because of all the satanic stuff in it.

HELLO? You're supposed to fight evil! Isn't that the whole point of the game?

Freaking dumbasses. Grr.

LMFAO, I saw the exact same thing happen to anime on a christian site. They gave anime like Evangelion and Hellsing poor reviews for their "questionable themes". So much for open mindedness...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff