Welcome to Gaia! ::

I belive you can and turn me to ashes if this is a repeat thread
Moral while being religious? Depends on the kind of person :XP: Some poeple can, some can't, it also depends on what they like to say, and how they flame ... stupid flamers stare gonk

and by the way *turns you into ashes because its a repeat*

he he joking, i don't think it is. I haven't seen one of this before, I don't think. But there are SO many threads, I don't know...repeat threads are common in gaia lol
I don't think it's a repeat, but it's not like that's ever stopped a thread from passing 20 pages.

It's definitly possible to be moral without religion. It might even be easier. For instance, if someone is told that adultery is wrong, but that if they apologize all will be forgiven, it could encourage them to do whatever they want and then give a quick, meaningles apology afterwards.
On the other hand, if a person is forced to decide for himself what he feels is wrong, he might hold to those self-instilled morals a lot better.

But I could be wrong, it's pretty early in the morning here.
Babybird
I don't think it's a repeat, but it's not like that's ever stopped a thread from passing 20 pages.

It's definitly possible to be moral without religion. It might even be easier. For instance, if someone is told that adultery is wrong, but that if they apologize all will be forgiven, it could encourage them to do whatever they want and then give a quick, meaningles apology afterwards.
On the other hand, if a person is forced to decide for himself what he feels is wrong, he might hold to those self-instilled morals a lot better.

But I could be wrong, it's pretty early in the morning here.

Well I see what your saying at least, its kind of like the case with that amish girl who was being raped by her brothers since she was, 10 I think, and was one of the first omish people to ever go to court. She took her family to court and now her mother is being arrested because she knew about it. The community knew about it but they just go to church, say there sorry and are forgiven then keep doing it.

Religous people, are no less immoral, it clearly shows through history.
CGN- The Evil Gray Man
Well I see what your saying at least, its kind of like the case with that amish girl who was being raped by her brothers since she was, 10 I think, and was one of the first omish people to ever go to court. She took her family to court and now her mother is being arrested because she knew about it. The community knew about it but they just go to church, say there sorry and are forgiven then keep doing it.

I heard about that. I feel horrible for that poor girl.

But, yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Babybird
CGN- The Evil Gray Man

I heard about that. I feel horrible for that poor girl.

But, yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I had a feeling, its exactly what I thought about when I read your post, though honestly I'd of prefered it if I never even heard about it.

I dont think morality is directly related with religion at all, religion will usually try to encourage people to behave morally but it doesnt really make that much of a difference.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
I have my own morals, everyone else has theirs, irrespective of religion.
Standards of morality is set by religion, so if you are a Devil Worshiper,( no offense to any that are) your moral standards are different to those of Buddhists. So i can say that you can be moral w/o religion.

7,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Morality and religion are not linked in any way. Lots of so-called religious people have 'poor' morals. Morality is about choice and nothing else. One can make pretty shitty choices whether one is religious or not. Or one can make pretty good choices whether one is religious or not.
morality and religion have nothing incommon except the fact that both are based on what you believe. morality is a set of personal beliefs that everyone has. and they are different from one person to the next.
satan_chaos
morality and religion have nothing incommon except the fact that both are based on what you believe. morality is a set of personal beliefs that everyone has. and they are different from one person to the next.

That's not completely true, some religions teach their own morals to people. Therefore, many people of the same religion will have similar morals, even if they aren't exactly the same.
To some, morality is a religion. eek
As its probably been stated before.

Some religious people dont have morals (or dont practive them)
Meanwhile, some non-religious people have the highest morals

I think as long as you are practicing being a good person and helping those in need (the fundemental priciples behind religon), you dont really need a "religon" (but belief in God is still needed).

Its better to practice good ethics without practicing a religion, than to practice a religon without practining good ethics.
While religion does project moral code, we all know that there are only a handful of people actually following their religion's moral code (exactly, anyway). Therefore, I can safely say that you are an idiot.

Of course you can be moral without being religious.
In my opinion, I believe you can be moral without religion. I agree with Babybird, it might be easier. I know that I held stronger to my morals before I became a Christian because things weren't as strict and I knew I couldn't apologize. It actually seems like I've broken more of my morals since I became Christian rather than become stronger. But I definitely think you can have morals, and stick to them, without being religious.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff