Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

I did not say "Everything you believe is dumb" and I am not bound to obey the words of an actor.

Perhaps not, but I like to think they are words by which we can all agree to live. Do you disagree?

I think the definition of what "being a d**k" is varies, so no, they are not words we can all agree to live by.

Quotable Conversationalist

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Contributor 150
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

I did not say "Everything you believe is dumb" and I am not bound to obey the words of an actor.

Perhaps not, but I like to think they are words by which we can all agree to live. Do you disagree?

I think the definition of what "being a d**k" is varies, so no, they are not words we can all agree to live by.

If you can not agree to live by so simple a code, I'm afraid I can be of no help for you. Adieu.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

If you can not agree to live by so simple a code, I'm afraid I can be of no help for you. Adieu.

I did not ask for your help, pal, and if you don't comprehend that what an abusive drunk thinks is "being a d**k" (and thus deserving of a good punch in the throat) and a privileged, spoiled child thinks is "being a d**k" (and thus deserving all the stares resulting from this embarrassing tantrum in public), and so on and on, then I wouldn't dream of considering your advice as anything worthwhile in the first place.

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Contributor 150
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

I did not ask for your help, pal, and if you don't comprehend that what an abusive drunk thinks is "being a d**k" (and thus deserving of a good punch in the throat) and a privileged, spoiled child thinks is "being a d**k" (and thus deserving all the stares resulting from this embarrassing tantrum in public), and so on and on, then I wouldn't dream of considering your advice as anything worthwhile in the first place.

See, the issue here is that you're assuming responsibility for everyone. All The Wheaton requests is that you claim responsibility for yourself.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

See, the issue here is that you're assuming responsibility for everyone. All The Wheaton requests is that you claim responsibility for yourself.

You're the one who likes to think they are words by which we can all agree to live, not me.

If I grab the abusive drunk, who has decided that the woman who has just refused to go home with him for happy-sexy-fun-time is being a d**k to him, and he then decides that I am the one being a d**k, I may get my lights punched out but not everybody will agree that I have been a d**k.

Morality is best applied on a situation by situation basis, using a rational understanding of reality, not in the form of applying a single rule to every situation that ever arises in your life. I disagree that we can all agree to live by a single statement. Sometimes, you will have to be what someone else perceives to be "a d**k" because the child who is having the tantrum needs discipline, not for their parent to refrain from being a d**k.

Nice chatting.

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Contributor 150
The Legendary Guest

You're the one who likes to think they are words by which we can all agree to live, not me.

If I grab the abusive drunk, who has decided that the woman who has just refused to go home with him for happy-sexy-fun-time is being a d**k to him, and he then decides that I am the one being a d**k, I may get my lights punched out but not everybody will agree that I have been a d**k.

Morality is best applied on a situation by situation basis, using a rational understanding of reality, not in the form of applying a single rule to every situation that ever arises in your life. I disagree that we can all agree to live by a single statement. Sometimes, you will have to be what someone else perceives to be "a d**k" because the child who is having the tantrum needs discipline, not for their parent to refrain from being a d**k.

Nice chatting.

But do YOU believe that you have been a d**k? If we all make a concentrated effort to reduce our own personal dickishness, then slowly but surely the level of dickery though the world will be reduced. Simply by asking the question: Am I being a d**k?

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest

Nice chatting.

But do YOU believe that you have been a d**k? If we all make a concentrated effort to reduce our own personal dickishness, then slowly but surely the level of dickery though the world will be reduced. Simply by asking the question: Am I being a d**k?

Hey brother? What is the topic of this thread? Is it "Let's ask the Guest what she thinks about being a d**k!"? Is it "Hey everybody, come on in and offer the Guest unsolicited advice on the Rule of Wheaton!"?

No. It is "Can I still visit a church even though I'm not religious?" and if you want to discuss Wil Wheaton's pithy anecdotes for better living, please make another thread.

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Contributor 150
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward

Hey brother? What is the topic of this thread? Is it "Let's ask the Guest what she thinks about being a d**k!"? Is it "Hey everybody, come on in and offer the Guest unsolicited advice on the Rule of Wheaton!"?

No. It is "Can I still visit a church even though I'm not religious?" and if you want to discuss Wil Wheaton's pithy anecdotes for better living, please make another thread.

I've already answered OP's question, and I wasn't asking you what you think about being a d**k. I'm urging you to consider the Tao of undickery. And, to be fair, they're *my* pithy... well, they aren't really anecdotes, it's more like philosophic points.

If you'd like, however, I have some GREAT anecdotes about not being a d**k. I've a few very catchy ones prepped. Sin and hellfire. One has lepers.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
The Legendary Guest
brother_edward

I've already answered OP's question, and I wasn't asking you what you think about being a d**k. I'm urging you to consider the Tao of undickery. And, to be fair, they're *my* pithy... well, they aren't really anecdotes, it's more like philosophic points.

If you'd like, however, I have some GREAT anecdotes about not being a d**k. I've a few very catchy ones prepped. Sin and hellfire. One has lepers.

You're off-topic, and I'm uninterested.

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Contributor 150
To return to the topic, if you do go to a new church, don't show up and start belittling other people's beliefs. It's rude.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's been a swell return to Gaia, but the swelling seems to have gone down. Good night!

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
brother_edward
To return to the topic, if you do go to a new church, don't show up and start belittling other people's beliefs. It's rude.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. It's been a swell return to Gaia, but the swelling seems to have gone down. Good night!

And remember boys and girls, a thread in the ED at Gaiaonline is a not a church, not even if the OP is religious (which the OP of this thread is not). To compare a thread in the Ed to a church is ridiculous, and the word "ridiculous" exists in the English language to describe that which is deserving or inviting derision or mockery.

I hear soaking the affected area is helpful for reducing swelling, perhaps you might want to try that.

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
Can you? yeah... You're not going to burst into flames are you? not sure why you'd ever want to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff