Welcome to Gaia! ::

maenad nuri
Dirrus

It may be a devotional act but shouldn't a true Christian who is truly trying to follow Christ be spending there time trying to help others and make the world a better place? And shouldn't they most deffinately give up a hobbie that is costing them a lot of money to be able to give that money to the poor considering that there are people in the world who will die tommorrow from starvation? How can any true Christian justify keeping that money to use for there personal pleasure rather than donating it to save a life?

Honestly, you sound like you are hinging your entire arguement on a No True Scotsman fallacy.

But you know what, each person is only one person. They can give everything the have and solve a problem for a day. They can also spend time and money to work towards systemic change. A hobby, in the long run, is helpful towards your mental health. And hobbies don't need to be wasteful either.

Keeping yourself healthy keeps you around for another day for cultivating social justice.

Theres my point, people like to claim there just one person, they can't save the world so they will go ahead and have fun, but from what Christ says in the bible we should all be giving up everything we can but the mere basics we need to survive, and maybe if all of the christians in the west did follow this idea the combined money they could gather together would surely add up to enough to make some monumental change to the truly poor around the world, and if they were using there time to do purely productive deeds we'd have far stronger countries and economies ourselves. It seems to add up that if everyone truly followed Jesus command to the young rich ruler:

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess, and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

We'd have a fairer world and stronger countries and communities ourselves.
Dirrus

Theres my point, people like to claim there just one person, they can't save the world so they will go ahead and have fun, but from what Christ says in the bible we should all be giving up everything we can but the mere basics we need to survive, and maybe if all of the christians in the west did follow this idea the combined money they could gather together would surely add up to enough to make some monumental change to the truly poor around the world, and if they were using there time to do purely productive deeds we'd have far stronger countries and economies ourselves. It seems to add up that if everyone truly followed Jesus command to the young rich ruler:

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess, and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

We'd have a fairer world and stronger countries and communities ourselves.

Okay, write out a plan then. Don't forget to unite all Christians in the world under this plan, even if they disagree.

Also, look at the context of the verse -- the person in the verse is very rich and of good moral character and looking for what eludes him, and he cannot for he lets his wealth own him.

This is not the same thing as having hobbies. This isn't the same thing as the average person enjoying sketching or birdwatching.

Obsessive Sage

I don't think it's saying deliberately not to have any sort of hobby. Granted, at the time, hobbies were probably rare. Life was hard back then, only the rich had time for hobbies most of the time.

In the same light, though, we are rather rich. Most of my hobbies are rather cheap, some almost free. However, I can think of 3 right now which are expensive. I don't think it's a black and white concept... but I don't think we can really justify everything we do on our free time.

All the money i've spent on video games I don't even play anymore. I have several thousands of dollars I've invested in and yet I don't even touch most of my systems. It's kind of a sickening though, especially knowing what that money could go towards.

It has made me tone things down lately. Hardly enough, even in my own eyes. I should probably stop buying anything for myself for a while though. It's not like these things really please me in the long run anyways. To think I've spent more in a year or two than many families might make in their whole lives... It really does put things in perspective. Especially when I don't give like I should...

5,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Dirrus
If Christians are meant to have dedicated there life to following Christ, spreading the gospel, doing good deeds, helping the poor, how can they have any form of a hobby? It will either take up there money (which surely should be donated to the poor or a good cause so long as they don't need it to survive themselves) or there time (which surely should be used spreading the gospel or doing some other good deeds like voluntary work) or both.

Kay what? I don't think that's all supposed to be condensed into a weekly planner. It's a long life.

I mean I'm all for helping out when you can, but you'll kill yourself doing everything at once, then you can't help anybody. It's best to take things as they come. Helpfulness is good WHEN you have the power to help.
Dirrus
If Christians are meant to have dedicated there life to following Christ, spreading the gospel, doing good deeds, helping the poor, how can they have any form of a hobby? It will either take up there money (which surely should be donated to the poor or a good cause so long as they don't need it to survive themselves) or there time (which surely should be used spreading the gospel or doing some other good deeds like voluntary work) or both.

Then when you get lines like John 12:25 "The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.", that seems to be saying don't delibretly go off and find fun things to do, instead go off and be productive and don't worry if you end up hating your life as you'll be rewarded in the next.

Just so you all know, I'm not some crazed atheist trying to attack all religion, its just that after reading into Christianity it seems to be a religion that says your who'll life should be dedicated to it with no room for hobbies or other fun yet unproductive tasks.

Life becomes play when you are already doing what you love. Some people do suffer at their slave-wage jobs and thus they must recreate and that is the purpose of the Sabbath, is it not?
Fracture and Fidelity
Life was hard back then, only the rich had time for hobbies most of the time.

Back then? *cough*
No, no they cannot

They are usually too busy destroying all those who oppose their god, and his word...

Well I guess that could be their hobby, slaughtering the heathens...
Seraph de Damnavi
No, no they cannot
They are usually too busy destroying all those who oppose their god, and his word...

This is a nonsense post.
HelloNoora
Seraph de Damnavi
No, no they cannot
This is a nonsense post.
And this is a nonsense response: "Shooby-dooby-doo-wa-wa!"
Boxy
HelloNoora
Seraph de Damnavi
No, no they cannot

This is a nonsense post gonk Spam-a-wamma-ding-dong.
And this is a nonsense response: "Shooby-dooby-doo-wa-wa!"

Fix'd

Music and lyrics are a great hobby for Christians.
I do believe that if a Christians consider themselves as human, then yes it is possible for them to have hobbies...

And if the don't have a hobby, I recommend that they find one, they can be quite entertaining.

Obsessive Sage

HelloNoora
Fracture and Fidelity

Back then? *cough*
In that all agriculture was done manually, there were no such things as vehicles, medical care was at a minimum, and information had to be spread by word of mouth.

I don't think life is particularly easy now, but it's certainly not as bad as it was during these times. There are many areas without any of these things, but they are not the entire world.

That said, it's still true for today, it's just more readily apparent for back then.
Fracture and Fidelity
HelloNoora
Fracture and Fidelity

Back then? *cough*
In that all agriculture was done manually, there were no such things as vehicles, medical care was at a minimum, and information had to be spread by word of mouth.

I don't think life is particularly easy now, but it's certainly not as bad as it was during these times. There are many areas without any of these things, but they are not the entire world.

That said, it's still true for today, it's just more readily apparent for back then.

People probably have always had activities they enjoyed more than others, though.
Dirrus

Then when you get lines like John 12:25 "The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.", that seems to be saying don't delibretly go off and find fun things to do, instead go off and be productive and don't worry if you end up hating your life as you'll be rewarded in the next.

Just so you all know, I'm not some crazed atheist trying to attack all religion, its just that after reading into Christianity it seems to be a religion that says your who'll life should be dedicated to it with no room for hobbies or other fun yet unproductive tasks.

I'm a Christian, and I have hobbies that are simply fun there's nothing against that as long as you aren't sinning. There isn't anything wrong with liking to do something while down on earth, but earth is not our home and doing these things shouldn't be our primary focus in life. God should always be first and foremost and we should remember that this life is only tempeorary. Just think about it, God made it so that we could laugh, which serves no bodily function besides the fact there are benefits to it, He made it so we could feel pleasure and everything, but these things shouldn't be the main focus of our lives, He should.
it's okay to have hobbies. God wants us to have life and have it abundantly. As long as you honor Him by thanking Him for giving you the skill and do it the best you can. Even in the Garden of Eden He let Adam and Eve enjoy themselves.

As for the discussion about why wars happen I'll just say that people use religion as a scapegoat. IF it wasn't that it would be something else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games