Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tlara

"Everything is so complex, it has to be designed by some higher power." Take a look at that. If everthings is so ******** complex, it would take an even more complex being to create this reality. And that being would need another more complex being outside of its reality to create it. Irrducibility complex for the win.

Tlara
“YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none.
--Isa 43:10

What makes this scripture valid evidence on a claim? What makes ANY scripture evidence of a claim? It's a fiction epic at best. Find a new source, or prove that this rpoves something.

Tlara
“Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te‧tra-, meaning “four,” and gram′ma, “letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).
The name was in fact known and used by pagan nations both in pre-Common Era times and in the early centuries of the Common Era. (The Jewish Encyclopedia, 1976, Vol. XII, p. 119)

That, again, proves nothing except that the historical Jesus, did, most likely, exist. There are still records of many messwanical figures to take in such as the Egyptian Horus.

Kimihiro_Watanuki

Funny how a being that loves you would allow you to get hurt, isn't it?

Tlara
Wow you are verry bitter, however here is info on that too:

Jehovah knew from the beginning that mankind’s independence, or self-rule, would result in much suffering. Was it unjust of him, then, to allow the inevitable to run its course? Not at all! To illustrate: Suppose you have a child who needs surgery to cure a life-threatening ailment. You realize that the operation will cause your child a degree of suffering, and this deeply grieves you. At the same time, you know that the procedure will enable your child to enjoy better health later in life. Similarly, God knew—and even foretold—that his allowance of human rule would bring along with it a measure of pain and suffering. (Genesis 3:16-19) But he also knew that lasting and meaningful relief would be possible only if he allowed all mankind to see the bad fruitage produced by rebellion. In this way the issue could be settled permanently, for all eternity.

Bitter or not, it doesn't matter.

How it is it unevitable if God is all powerful? Could he not change the outcome? Then he is no all loving for making us suffer. If suffering is inevitable, then he is not all powerful, because he doesn't have the ability to sotp it. This is child's play. Surgery theses days requires almost no pain to perform.

Suffering is not neccessary for day to day function. Good health is. So what's your point again?

Kimihiro_Watanuki

Yes I have. It's jsut one more fear tactic people use to bribe you into religion. "If you don't do what God says, HE'LL SEND JOO 2 DA HELLZ FIYA! But he loves you."

Tlara
The word “hell” is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read “the grave,” “the world of the dead,” and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered “hell”; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl′ and its Greek equivalent hai′des, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind; also the Greek ge′en‧na, which is used as a symbol of eternal destruction. However, both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment).

Eccl. 9:5, 10: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all . . . All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol,* the place to which you are going.” (If they are conscious of nothing, they obviously feel no pain.) (*“Sheol,” AS, RS, NE, JB; “the grave,” KJ, Kx; “hell,” Dy; “the world of the dead,” TEV.)

Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts* do perish.” (*“Thoughts,” KJ, 145:4 in Dy; “schemes,” JB; “plans,” RS, TEV.)

Thanks for the lesson in semantics. It doesn't prove much. Once again, hell is a scare tactic bribing people into religion. I've heard it from many Christians mouths that they do ghood things, because they want to go to heaven. I do things that I think are good, because I observe that they benifit me and others, not becasue of a selfish desire that I'll only know if it'll be fufilled after I die.

LaDemonta

Again. We need proof. ED is anot a "drop your bullshit and leave" kinda place. Support your argument or GTFO.

take your own counsil

It's impossible to prove a negative. I cannot disprove the existance of God, no more that I can disprove the existance of the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, unicorns, dragons, or Spratan 117. Yet most people who aren't considered delusional hold these entities as pure fiction, but God, is just as invalid and jsut as valid, is held by the vast majority of Earth's population as truth.

The thigns I stated are self-evident. It's common sense. I don't have to put that in a test tube and measure it.
Kimihiro_Watanuki

It's impossible to prove a negative. I cannot disprove the existance of God, no more that I can disprove the existance of the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, unicorns, dragons, or Spratan 117. Yet most people who aren't considered delusional hold these entities as pure fiction, but God, is just as invalid and jsut as valid, is held by the vast majority of Earth's population as truth.

The thigns I stated are self-evident. It's common sense. I don't have to put that in a test tube and measure it.

I'd have to say, the reason we look at people who believe in those things as crazy doesn't apply to God. Easter Bunny, Santa, and Spartan 117 have been admitted to be fictional from thier start. Unicorns and dragons have no bones, when they should have left someone, and to say they went extinct is also rather silly at least for dragons. Perhaps once we got guns, but before that the idea of them going extinct is silly, and that's when they were always seen.
Kimihiro_Watanuki

What makes this scripture valid evidence on a claim? What makes ANY scripture evidence of a claim? It's a fiction epic at best. Find a new source, or prove that this rpoves something.

What makes the Bible any less reliable as whatever source you use? The Bible has proved accurate in more cases than inaccurate.

How about backing up your ideas with something other than your own words? What book/person are you using?
Dark Lord Drake
Kimihiro_Watanuki

I'd have to say, the reason we look at people who believe in those things as crazy doesn't apply to God. Easter Bunny, Santa, and Spartan 117 have been admitted to be fictional from thier start. Unicorns and dragons have no bones, when they should have left someone, and to say they went extinct is also rather silly at least for dragons. Perhaps once we got guns, but before that the idea of them going extinct is silly, and that's when they were always seen.

Plenty of animal species have gone extinct without the aid of firearms, actually. Even many large predators.
Striga
Dark Lord Drake
Kimihiro_Watanuki

Plenty of animal species have gone extinct without the aid of firearms, actually. Even many large predators.

Species that would be absolutely on the top of the food chain, apparently located around where humans manage to live?
LaDemonta
Calm, Rationalized, Debate on Religion

FYI, "rationalized" is usually taken as meaning "self-deluding" rather than "rational."
Dark Lord Drake
Striga
Dark Lord Drake
Kimihiro_Watanuki

Species that would be absolutely on the top of the food chain, apparently located around where humans manage to live?

Well, if humans are around, they're pretty much the top of the food chain. Elaborate (often thrown or otherwise long-range) weapons, good binocular vision and depth perception, upright posture, and group hunting, and all that.

But yeah, plenty of large, top of the food chain predators have died out in the past, without any sort of human intervention at all.
Tlara
Kimihiro_Watanuki

What makes the Bible any less reliable as whatever source you use? The Bible has proved accurate in more cases than inaccurate.

Since when has the bible been accurate? There are far too many inconsistencys in the Bible to consider it credible.
Striga
Dark Lord Drake
Striga
Dark Lord Drake
Kimihiro_Watanuki

Well, if humans are around, they're pretty much the top of the food chain. Elaborate (often thrown or otherwise long-range) weapons, good binocular vision and depth perception, upright posture, and group hunting, and all that.

But yeah, plenty of large, top of the food chain predators have died out in the past, without any sort of human intervention at all.

Well dragons would be above humans. They're worse than any other large predator I can think of short of dinosaurs. They'd be like worse than trying to exterminate elephants, cause they'd have wings and can roast you...
Tlara

Interesting question.
To me, as a person who isn't religious the Bible is just a book like any other. The mere fact that it is the Bible you are citing doesn't automatically make it any more credible than your avarage fantasy epic.
By citing the Bible, you basically say something along the lines of XY said that God came to him one day and told him he is almighty and because XY can not possibly have made that all up it's got to be true.

Unfortunately people claim all kinds of things every day and again and again some of them even manage to whip up a following.
Tommy Trojan
Tlara
Kimihiro_Watanuki

Since when has the bible been accurate? There are far too many inconsistencys in the Bible to consider it credible.

The only inconsistency is when it isnt understood properly, misinterperted, misapplied, and down right disreguarded. How many books are available from that time period? If the Bible is not the word of God, how has it survived the numerous attempts to destroy it? Everytime arceologists dig up a piece of stone with writing on it, it proves the Bible accurate, and this info is from the doubters themselves. Right down to the dates! They have even found the location where Moses and the Isrealites crossed the Red Sea, with proof of Egyptian chariots, horses & human skeletons RIGHT where the Bible said it happened!!! The Bible tells you of the many rulers of Isreal and Judah, including the stupid stuff they did. How many historical documents from any other nation show their rulers faults??
There is scientific proof of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Jericho, Babylon, Jeruslem...proof of the plagues that hit Egypt even in their own hyroglyphics. The Bible fortold how and who would destroy Babylon, over 400 years before it happened. Many prophecies pointed to the coming of Jesus..again right as it was fortold. If you wish to get into the many prophecies that pointed to them I most certainly would be glad to do so.
I am a christian. I try to live by the Bible even though I know men have rewritten parts of it to meet their own agenda. Let me rant a little though.

Let's start with evolution. Why can't those two interact God & evolution. Because according to the first book God created everything & it was perfect. That seems to set it in stone dosen't it? Until Adam & Eve sinned then because of thier choice they were now imperfect. Therefore it is very possible that Adam & Eve started out monkey-like because then that was perfect. They did not need clothes and were not vain. However once they sinned vainity was made and they where physically not perfect anymore. God then would allow change to make them perfect once again.

God & suffering are not two seperate things. Adam & Eve suffered for their sins and we too must pay for ours. None are perfect compared to God. Suffering to teaches us Gods lessons. If everything was fine & nothing bad happened what have we learned at the end of the day? If everything was fine we would not need God & we all need God.

Which Christians are right & wrong? The ansewer is all of them. At times we interpert the Bible into what we ourselfs want it to be, not what it is. However Christians cannot fail or be wrong as long as we believe in Jesus & God.

Other faiths...I do not hate Pagans, Jews or any other faith because God tells me to love everyone. And I try too, though sometimes I fall short. Other faiths your in the right direction as long as you do good by others and nature, but it is my belief that you will only truly be saved if you execpt the teachings of Jesus. God said you may put no other before me & he ment it.

Lastly my Good old friends the Easter Bunny & Santa. These guys are truly from the faith of pagans & very fun ideals they are. I love to see Santa hugging the children at the mall and seeing the faces of children searching for eggs in a church yard because a rabbit put them there. Christians where a good folk willing to let other faiths keep their traditions and we even got involved. These are wonderful ideals that teach us to share & have fun. Christians never forget that no rabbit replaces God & these are fun traditions that we accepted to bring Others closer to Jesus.
HighwaymanJ

Let's start with evolution. Why can't those two interact God & evolution. Because according to the first book God created everything & it was perfect. That seems to set it in stone dosen't it? Until Adam & Eve sinned then because of thier choice they were now imperfect. Therefore it is very possible that Adam & Eve started out monkey-like because then that was perfect. They did not need clothes and were not vain. However once they sinned vainity was made and they where physically not perfect anymore. God then would allow change to make them perfect once again.

What makes you think that the Creation story in Genesis is a literal telling of events historical?
HighwaymanJ

So somewhere in your bible reading you must have missed a few verses. Go back and check the parts where it states He made them according to their kind, every living thing, as in ALL creation made according to its kind.

20 And God went on to say: “Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.” 21 And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind.

24 And God went on to say: “Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind.” And it came to be so. 25 And God proceeded to make the wild beast of the earth according to its kind and the domestic animal according to its kind and every moving animal of the ground according to its kind.

26 And God went on to say: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth.” 27 And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. ---Genisis 1:20,21,24-27

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff