Welcome to Gaia! ::

From what I've read, Buddhism is about achieving enlightenment. However, it does not include the worshipping of any being.

The question is whether Buddhism can be identified as a religion or rather, a way of life.

When we consider the dictionary term to define religion:

Quote:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

World English Dictionary
religion (rɪˈlɪdʒən)

— n
1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

Buddhism is defined as a "religion" in 1 and 2 because it contains a set of beliefs. Buddhists follow the The Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, and the Middle Way. They have a moral code - this would be the Five Precepts.

However, in the World English Dictionary, a religion involves a belief or obedience in divine, supernatural power or controls destiny. There is no "superpower" in Buddhism.
The historical Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) was not considered a god, nor did he have control over destiny. Buddhists partake in worship where they honour Buddha - they do not believe that he has supreme powers.

So, would Buddhism be considered a religion?

Thoughts? I am not Buddhist myself, so I'd like to hear others' views on this.

sources:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/buddhawise.html
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda01.htm

Castration Barbie's Significant Otter

Wilderness Streaker

11,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Kasamatsu Yukio
From what I've read, Buddhism is about achieving enlightenment. However, it does not include the worshipping of any being.

The question is whether Buddhism can be identified as a religion or rather, a way of life.

Quote:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

World English Dictionary
religion (rɪˈlɪdʒən)

— n
1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

Buddhism is defined as a "religion" in 1 and 2 because it contains a set of beliefs. Buddhists follow the The Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, and the Middle Way. They have a moral code - this would be the Five Precepts.

However, in the World English Dictionary, a religion involves a belief or obedience in divine, supernatural power or controls destiny. There is no "superpower" in Buddhism.
The historical Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) was not considered a god, nor did he have control over destiny. Buddhists partake in worship where they honour Buddha - they do not believe that he has supreme powers.

sources:

I love to hear when people want to know about buddhism smile
yes, buddhism is definitely considered a religion, and as of today it is one of the fastest growing religions worldwide. I understand where you would think we do not do this "belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny." but the truth is that the middle path is a supernatural power of worship, we strive to follow our middle path just as another religion follows god. Just because our middle path is not seen as supernatural to some, when you start to follow your middle path the world opens up all these opportunities because of your good karma ^_^
Kasamatsu Yukio

Buddhist Six Realms of Existence and Samsara

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Lucky~9~Lives
Kasamatsu Yukio

Buddhist Six Realms of Existence and Samsara

Some variations of Buddhism express a philosophical belief in an eternal Buddha: a representation of omnipresent enlightenment and a symbol of the true nature of the universe.

The Dalai Lama

The purpose of a dictionary is to define a word, not explain a philosophical position. As such, I would consider them to make poor sources for discussion on stances regarding religion.

Anthropologist Clifford Geertz described religion as “a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, deity or deities, or ultimate truth.” Buddhism fits this description, although the majority of Buddhists would be de facto atheists.
Anarchy-the basis of PI

I love to hear when people want to know about buddhism smile
yes, buddhism is definitely considered a religion, and as of today it is one of the fastest growing religions worldwide. I understand where you would think we do not do this "belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny." but the truth is that the middle path is a supernatural power of worship, we strive to follow our middle path just as another religion follows god. Just because our middle path is not seen as supernatural to some, when you start to follow your middle path the world opens up all these opportunities because of your good karma ^_^

I appreciate your response.

Karma is believing that doing good things will cause good things to happen. It is a concept of cause and effect, a natural law.
People do not necessarily have to use a "supernatural" means to achieve something natural.
Would not the middle path be natural in that case?

How is the middle path a form of worship?
In Christianity (in Catholicism, at least), the concept of God is that God is a divine, holy person to be loved, praised and honoured. Correct me if I am wrong, from the way you described it, the middle way seems to be more of a technique than worship.

The Middle Way
In this article, the middle path is regarded to as a form of moral conduct, but not worship, or divine.
It seems to be more of a common "rule" to live by.

Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and that would be supernatural.
Thanks for the link.

The Legendary Guest

Some variations of Buddhism express a philosophical belief in an eternal Buddha: a representation of omnipresent enlightenment and a symbol of the true nature of the universe.

The Dalai Lama

The purpose of a dictionary is to define a word, not explain a philosophical position. As such, I would consider them to make poor sources for discussion on stances regarding religion.

Anthropologist Clifford Geertz described religion as “a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, deity or deities, or ultimate truth.” Buddhism fits this description, although the majority of Buddhists would be de facto atheists.

Enlightenment is being free of all ignorance, so I can see how the true nature of all things could be represented by the Buddha.

Since Buddhism does fulfill the aspects of a religion from Geertz's point of view, it would be considered a religion. Especially "the ultimate truth," Buddhism certaintly includes that. The people I know (mainly Catholics) often refer Buddhism as to a way of life. I believe this is because Buddhism is not a theistic religion. Some only think that theistic religions are the only religions out there, and the rest is philosophy.

This clears up a lot of misconceptions. Thanks!

Liberal Sex Symbol

Kasamatsu Yukio

Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and that would be supernatural.

Buddhists believe in rebirth, not reincarnation. there is a big difference.

Reincarnation implies the existence of some sort of permanence that transcends lives (i.e, a soul). Buddhists do not believe in the concept of souls.

The belief in rebirth is that when we die the five aggregates that comprise us dissipate, and a new aggregate form is eventually created, it's connected to us, but it's not really "us".

You can kinda think of it in terms of the laws of matter. Matter cannot be destroyed, but is costantly reconfiguring, so the rebirth of the being is comprised of the stuff of the universe itself.

Quote:
Enlightenment is being free of all ignorance, so I can see how the true nature of all things could be represented by the Buddha.

Since Buddhism does fulfill the aspects of a religion from Geertz's point of view, it would be considered a religion. Especially "the ultimate truth," Buddhism certaintly includes that. The people I know (mainly Catholics) often refer Buddhism as to a way of life. I believe this is because Buddhism is not a theistic religion. Some only think that theistic religions are the only religions out there, and the rest is philosophy.

This clears up a lot of misconceptions. Thanks!

Your question on whether Buddhism is a religion or not is not going to have a straight "right" answer. It's very much a debatable topic within the community, and trying to define eastern concepts with western understanding only clouds the water. But the Dharma stands on its own with or without the definition; Though many cultures through the ages have created trappings and ceremonies and systems around it. Even the same school of Buddhism can exist in different forms simultaneously.

Chinese Chan is heavily influenced by Confucianism, and ancestor worship. They are grandiose, and focus on things that are typical to Chinese aspirations: Wealth, luck, protection, etc.
Japanese Zen, though the same tradition is much more spartan and to the point, but it is also heavily influenced by Shinto traditions.
And in the West Zen has become even more direct. Some sanghas are almost atheistic and see the bodhisattvas as aspirational examples, mythical beings worthy of emulation and not necessarily objects of veneration beyond the Shakyamuni himself.

It can be both and be neither at the same time. There are Catholic Jesuit priests who hold the title of Roshi in the Zen tradition as well. That would not be possible if Buddhism could be simply painted as a religion.

Zealot

Some Buddhist groups appears to resemble what we call religion, especially the esoteric traditions of Tibetan Buddhism that the Dalai Lama belongs to. At the same time some forms like Zen Buddhism seem to escape the structure that religions tends to have, despite the fact they're both Mahayana schools. The belief in supernatural concepts also seems to change amongst all the schools, and in recent years many Buddhist scholars (and Western practitioners especially) have tried to separate Buddhism from any past supernatural elements. So I don't think you're going to find a good answer.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, flaps like a duck...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kasamatsu Yukio

Er... as far as I can tell... yes and no.

Like you said, Buddhism doesn't really focus that much on things like gods and the like. The focus of Buddhism is attaning enlightenment, for personal wellbeing. It doesn't have to come in future lifetimes (though it may), but can be attained in the here and now. It is a psychological practice more than a spiritual one.

That said... there are schools of Buddhism which believe that if there are gods, they too could benefit from release from Samsara. So often when Buddhism encounters other religions, it sort of incorporates those gods into the worldview of the people. Not changing it much, merely including Buddhist principles with it.

As far as I can determine, good examples might be Tibetan Buddhism, the joint worship of Japanese Buddhism and Shinto, and arguably Ch'an/Zen, itself a combination of Buddhism and Taoism. I say "arguably" because Taoism is another yes-and-no sort of concept which can include gods (the Jade Emperor is one that comes to mind) but doesn't really depend upon it, as the Tao itself is more of an ineffable way of the universe than an actual godhead.

So... it really all depends upon who you ask. It's a tricky one, and as we can see from posts in this thread alone, it depends greatly upon your perception of what a religion actually is.

So probably the best answer I can give you is... it's a philosophy.*

*Except when it's a religion.
The concepts of karma and its effect on samsara control one's destiny and therefore fulfill the requirements of the second definition.
Kasamatsu Yukio

Quote:

World English Dictionary
religion (rɪˈlɪdʒən)

— n

sources:

Buddhism is a pantheistic religion. Pantheistic means that the universe or 'nature' is God. Enlightenment is the understanding that you are part of this and thus you are God. Only if you come to realize that you are in fact God, as everything is God, do you get released into nirvana, a place where you cease to exist but your energy becomes one with universe or God.

If Buddhism is a religion you are considering understand that the point of Buddhism is the destruction of self or ego. It was a religion created because of the suffering brought on by the hindu caste system. If i have no needs or wants then I can not suffer. If you desire to be enlightened you must deal with getting rid of your desires. Hence why so many of their legend heros would meditate to the point that their limbs would wither away. Even the need for sleep is attempted to be removed through meditation. Most, of course never practice Buddhism on it's original understanding. Primarly because it's too difficult. Even monks and preists have families now in some sects.
Kasamatsu Yukio

I hope you're not insinuating that mainstream East Asian Buddhists believe that Gautama was just an ordinary human being who happened to become enlightened, and remained an ordinary human being in every respects afterwards as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff