Welcome to Gaia! ::

okay, i have just began reading the novel 'Brave New World', and already their society's sense or morals i have found quite disturbing, then of course, thats what the book was meant to do. our society finds this literature and the people, and the time disturbing, since the society discribed in the book, is almost against everything that we hold as morals, and, we, being against their morals.
For those of you who have never read this book, lets just say that people are no longer concieved by a mother or a father, have a family, nor are they raised with in a family. Actually, if they do have a family, the closest thing to it would be each person's countless number of clones and twins which in a laboratory they use one female egg to create, countless of people. Then, starting at very young ages, they Condition these children into different stereotypes..*like the conditioning used in the "Young Albert experiments" and by Pavlov* it is also unusial and 'imoral' for people to be monogomous "aka, marry one person" and it is very wrong to have only one sexual partner. it is also incouraged for young children to take part in "erotic play". I would say more things, but...im hoping you get the idea. Although it IS a very GOOD book, it is meant to shock and disturb society, and is also a futuristic book.

*note, i don't really know where i would put this forum, but...since it is highly regarded towards morals..i decided..it should go here* * also note, i have no idea what kind of conversation should come out of this*
And yet they have peace, stability, happiness (albeit drug and conditioning induced), no poverty, no old age, and constant plenty. I wouldn't necessarily want to live in that world, but if you think about it, Mustapha Mond makes a pretty good case for the new order of things.
I question that definition of happiness.....
AyanamiRei
I question that definition of happiness.....

*puts on his devil's advocate cap* Define happiness then. What's to say that happiness really is some deep and fufilling or organic state of mind?

Liberal Genius

2,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
I started reading that book yesterday. My biology teacher photocopied the 6th and 7th pages, because it's relevant to what we're studying now. I got interested, and asked her if I could borrow it. It's really... disturbing. Mass production+biology... it just creeps me out. Genetic engineering and cloning creep me out anyways, because they have such frightening prospects.

We have to remember that Brave New World was written in like... the 30's (I think). They probably thought that the 21st century would be like... the Jetsons or something. I hope that this peek into the future is nowhere near realistic.
um....hello....i'm a bit confused what yall are talking about......i'm new on here sweatdrop
gezusfreak
um....hello....i'm a bit confused what yall are talking about......i'm new on here sweatdrop

a book..
aldous huxley never imagined his book would still be around today, but he thought it might have it few readers be inspired by it. The book is about the cold, but very possible future, that couldnt be controlled. All of his critics thought it a negetive.

I wonder though, if it is all negitive. The bloody book is to full of symbolism, which scolars have a hard time disifiering. I dont know alot about the book, but i tryed to read it my fresham year. I have it in my hands write now and im trying to skim through it. The last words in the book are...
Quote:
That evening the swarm of hlicopters that came buzzing across the Hogs Back was a dark cloud ten kilometres long. The description of last nights orgy of atonement, had been in all the papers.
"savage" called the first arrivals, as they alighted from their machine. "Mr. Savage!"
The doors of the lighthouse was ajar. They pushhed it open and walked into a shuttered twilight. Through an archway on the further side of the room they could see the bottum of the staricase that led up the higher floors. Just under the crown of the arch was two feet.
mr. savage!
Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned toward the right, north, north-east, east, southeast, south-south east, then paused and after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east
well... I'm not sure how far you've gotten in the book but the "happiness" they have isn't real because there is no contrast, there is no "pain."

you cannot value happiness if you cannot compare it to anything else.
I found the world fascinating, and many aspects of it most progressive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff