Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian

exclaim

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
The reason why a lot of people are atheists in the internet is because we can't come out in the real world. Since people have been known to basically treat you like you have leprosy. So a lot of people come to the internet and tend to vent because they can't really vent in real life.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Locutus_Argolis
Gettin really sick of people bashing religion and as a general making out science and philosophy dualistic of religion ******** retarded 1st duality doesnt exist. 2nd the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected such from raiders and other bs need I point out as well many scientific advancements WERE made BY PRIESTS hence for example organic life is made of cells, its called a friggin cell because the biologist who discovered them was in fact a priest and named it after what monks live in do to similar shape a cell 3rd a da fuq huge chunk of philosophy comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism
sweet bloody cthulhu when you attack religion with stupid points you only show how much of a closed minded bandwagon riding bigot you truly are

*poof* ninja

In all fairness, the church only protected scientific advancements consistent with its doctrine, and a little too frequently, they were the raiders destroying scientific knowledge.

Actually, most of what we know of philosophy in the west has Greek roots, especially when you're referring to the scientific method. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with eastern philosophy, it just hasn't influenced western philosophy that much. Western philosophies tend to involve a lot more reductionism, and abstraction.

Gaian

Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Gettin really sick of people bashing religion and as a general making out science and philosophy dualistic of religion ******** retarded 1st duality doesnt exist. 2nd the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected such from raiders and other bs need I point out as well many scientific advancements WERE made BY PRIESTS hence for example organic life is made of cells, its called a friggin cell because the biologist who discovered them was in fact a priest and named it after what monks live in do to similar shape a cell 3rd a da fuq huge chunk of philosophy comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism
sweet bloody cthulhu when you attack religion with stupid points you only show how much of a closed minded bandwagon riding bigot you truly are

*poof* ninja

In all fairness, the church only protected scientific advancements consistent with its doctrine, and a little too frequently, they were the raiders destroying scientific knowledge.

Actually, most of what we know of philosophy in the west has Greek roots, especially when you're referring to the scientific method. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with eastern philosophy, it just hasn't influenced western philosophy that much. Western philosophies tend to involve a lot more reductionism, and abstraction.

actualy eastern philosophy has had a major impact it just goes under a humble presence since it tends to focus on self betterment while the rest of the world is obsessed with control of others. and far more i care not to type xD try picking up a book like the Tao Te Ching or even just listen to some lectures by Alan Watts

Post scriptus . And as far as them not retaining certain facts every faction in history has freely controlled information for example the USA in highschool government books saying Anarchy is the absence of government when the etymology is An-Archos which is simply to be without archons individuals with more rights or powers than others like how the president can veto.
Faustine Liem
The reason why a lot of people are atheists in the internet is because we can't come out in the real world. Since people have been known to basically treat you like you have leprosy. So a lot of people come to the internet and tend to vent because they can't really vent in real life.

Something about atheists being more distrusted and hated than any other group, at least in america, including muslims after 9/11.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Shama_okami
Faustine Liem

Something about atheists being more distrusted and hated than any other group, at least in america, including muslims after 9/11.

Yep. We sure are.
We really are.

It stems from 'god gives us morality' and by that logic anyone that doesn't believe in any god, can't be trusted. *rolls eyes*

Ghost Trader

I feel it's completely unnecessary on both parts; for someone who belongs to a religion to target an atheist for not believing and an atheist to target someone who belongs to a religion. Of course, it's justified when you have the likes of religious leader (or any member at all) who turns into an utter Frollo! Or you have an atheist who ends up like Christopher Hitchens (loved his arguments, even though he went out of his way just to be a thorn), but still completely unnecessary for neither should be happening in the first place. Religion has caused many terrible things, but so can science at the end of the day as well. In war, the two work together fiercely...
Locutus_Argolis

Religious thinking is toxic to society. I honestly believe that. Why? Religion with few exceptions is a system that prescribes an inflexible and exact way of thinking (doctrine) that leads people into living a shallow, incurious and unexamined life. Put into a picture:

User Image

That's how I see religion. Which, I would argue, is the opposite of scientific inquiry. Science DEPENDS upon questioning, testing and the free and open exchange of ideas between people. That's how science progresses. However all of that is the antithesis of religion. That's the realm of authority, faith, dogma, worship, submission, tradition and prejudice. Or ask yourself this question: In which religions are you able to stand up and question the religious leader, or prove him or her wrong? None. In science, you'd win a Nobel Prize for such an intellectual feat if it could be done. (Or derision if you continuously adhere to nonfactual beliefs.) In religion it is a sense of pride to declare your absolute fealty to a idea that can never be questioned or proven; in all other aspects of life that is reprehensible.

Gaian

rather then reply individually Ill just post this

You all clearly dont understand that their are more religious people in the world then just Christians Muslims Jews, and the oh well their more prominent? really because china has the most ppl out of any country and their citizens are Taoist/Buddhist
Also to deny a parent from passing on their beliefs onto their children is wrong as far as a school doing it well guess what the parent has the kid going their for a reason.

As far as religion being toxic for society?religion helped FOUND society
so no whats toxic for society is ignorance and bigotry

Well Loki religious ppl are ignorant and bigots look at history, oh realy? they used it as a weapon and their for its evil on all grounds? Why are guns not banned then? religion is a tool to teach morals but guns are specifically designed to maim and kill, why not ban bombs?

religion is a tool not just answers and for many religions its more questions then answers for example Taoism and Buddhism
but then again white ppl especially US citizens like to pretend that religions based on self betterment rather then the betterment of others dont exist.

I got way off track but anyway my point is when you attack religion as a whole like the bigot you are you only show how ignorant you are, their are far more religions out their then just the lord fearing variants so when you attack religion as a whole your including them
so please if your going to b***h about some s**t article you read on yahoo/4chan or your momy was to christian for you then actualy state youve an issue with said religions specificaly and not as a whole

just a few profoundly religious people who affected the world profoundly positively 3/4 were Assassinated =D
MLK Jr.-Christian
MalcomX -Muslim
Gandhi -Hinduism
Laozi -Taoist

Greedy Consumer

Locutus_Argolis
rather then reply individually Ill just post this

You all clearly dont understand that their are more religious people in the world then just Christians Muslims Jews, and the oh well their more prominent? really because china has the most ppl out of any country and their citizens are Taoist/Buddhist
Also to deny a parent from passing on their beliefs onto their children is wrong as far as a school doing it well guess what the parent has the kid going their for a reason.

As far as religion being toxic for society?religion helped FOUND society
so no whats toxic for society is ignorance and bigotry

Well Loki religious ppl are ignorant and bigots look at history, oh realy? they used it as a weapon and their for its evil on all grounds? Why are guns not banned then? religion is a tool to teach morals but guns are specifically designed to maim and kill, why not ban bombs?

religion is a tool not just answers and for many religions its more questions then answers for example Taoism and Buddhism
but then again white ppl especially US citizens like to pretend that religions based on self betterment rather then the betterment of others dont exist.

I got way off track but anyway my point is when you attack religion as a whole like the bigot you are you only show how ignorant you are, their are far more religions out their then just the lord fearing variants so when you attack religion as a whole your including them
so please if your going to b***h about some s**t article you read on yahoo/4chan or your momy was to christian for you then actualy state youve an issue with said religions specificaly and not as a whole

just a few profoundly religious people who affected the world profoundly positively 3/4 were Assassinated =D
MLK Jr.-Christian
MalcomX -Muslim
Gandhi -Hinduism
Laozi -Taoist
if guns were banned government would be totalitarian in that only they have guns, or something. Or a black market would get guns to criminals anyways. And religion is detrimental to society, except for its cultural value. It is a hindrance to intellect and many types of progress. Even normal 'christians' dislike people who talk about religion too much.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Excuse me, I had to run this through my internal translator to understand what the ******** you're talking about.

Locutus_Argolis
Getting really sick of people bashing religion and, in general, making a duality of science and philosophy against religion.

It's ******** stupid. First of all, duality doesn't exist. Secondly, the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected them from raiders and others.

Need I point out, as well, that many scientific advancements were made by priests? For example, cell theory (which describes how organic life is made from cells) is called so because the biologist who discovered them - a priest - named it after the rooms in which monks live, which he considered similar.

Third, there is a large chunk of philosophy that comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.

Sweet bloody Cthulhu. When you attack religion with poor arguments, you only show how much of a closed-minded, bandwagon-riding bigot you truly are.

You're ******** welcome. Now you actually sound somewhat intelligent.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Xiam
Excuse me, I had to run this through my internal translator to understand what the ******** you're talking about.

Locutus_Argolis
Getting really sick of people bashing religion and, in general, making a duality of science and philosophy against religion.

It's ******** stupid. First of all, duality doesn't exist. Secondly, the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected them from raiders and others.

Need I point out, as well, that many scientific advancements were made by priests? For example, cell theory (which describes how organic life is made from cells) is called so because the biologist who discovered them - a priest - named it after the rooms in which monks live, which he considered similar.

Third, there is a large chunk of philosophy that comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.

Sweet bloody Cthulhu. When you attack religion with poor arguments, you only show how much of a closed-minded, bandwagon-riding bigot you truly are.

Not really. Even with your translator, his argument is still a garbled mess of "ignore all the horrible things religion did. Look at the few good things it's done! Now quit criticizing it! RAWR!!!!"

Gaian

Rumblestiltskin
Xiam

Locutus_Argolis

Not really. Even with your translator, his argument is still a garbled mess of "ignore all the horrible things religion did. Look at the few good things it's done! Now quit criticizing it! RAWR!!!!"

not at all, its that so many bash it not accepting that many good things come from religion. the world isnt black and white and neither is religion
and its clear your arguments are all just
"ignore all the good things religion did. Look at the few bad things it's done! Now only criticize it! RAWR!!!!"

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Locutus_Argolis
Rumblestiltskin
Xiam

Locutus_Argolis

not at all, its that so many bash it not accepting that many good things come from religion. the world isnt black and white and neither is religion
and its clear your arguments are all just
"ignore all the good things religion did. Look at the few bad things it's done! Now only criticize it! RAWR!!!!"

Yes, there are those that blindly bash religion...but that doesn't mean religion is a force for good...at all. In fact, if you want to compare the benefits of religion to the harm its caused, religions have on the whole been very bad for society. Also, I never mentioned whether I thought religion ONLY did bad things...so your counter doesn't make any sense...which isn't surprising considering it's little better than "I know you are but what am I"...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Rumblestiltskin
Xiam

Locutus_Argolis

A lot of people have done horrible things, for a lot of different reasons.

The blanket term of "religion" is ******** idiotic, too. You don't mean every religion, you mean a specific religion. So go ahead and identify it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff