Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

What makes the bible so special?
How do you "know" whats written in it is true?

After all, a man can lie, and writing a lie down does not make it true.

technically two questions, but i hope you can bear with me sweatdrop

Shy Puppy

mokonafan
Berserker of the Forest
Why I'm I slowly losing fath in God? confused

That is one thing that I cannot answer.
and, before any of you guys start ripping me to shreds, here's why:

You need to ask yourself why your losing faith in God. That is something that nobody else can answer. You could ask your pastor for help with this particular issue.

So I am really truly sorry that I cannot help you with that issue. However, i did go through the same thing a little while ago, and I managed to remedy it by praying and going to church wedensdays and mondays in addition to sundays.

here, i will help you out. (the one who made the forum) um.. she is right. you really cant answer that. just pray about it. pray that God will strengthen your believe in him. you should read his word and just pray. thats the best thing you can do.
kanzenatsume
well Moses is the human author of Genesis so its understandable that he wasn't able to put it in correct order. He wasn't even born yet at that time, who knows?

I do not know if that is actually true. I don't think that Moses wrote 'em.

He's the traditional author, but in the same way, say, Narmar (or whatever his name is) is the traditional uniter of upper and lower Egypt.

Shy Puppy

dixieboy

sorry, i dont mean to take over here. sweatdrop
you are right. man can lie. but, God is the one who wrote the book and, he wont let any man corupt his word.
samurai4christ
Angels_Satire
mokonafan

Haha!!^^

Christianity against science? Well, let's think about this, starting with creationism--
Science says that there's no way the earth could be created in just one week by just one person (Or, in this case, God.),

Actually, it says nothing about that, really.

Quote:
but here's the catch-- One day for us might not be same as one day for God. So creationism and the theory of evolution, whist we think of them as seperate, they might be complimentary of each other.
That's one example.

Meh, the Genesis creation stories aren't really in order if that's the case.

what do you mean they are not in order??

They're not really in the order one would expect from, say, evolution, yes? Especially the second one, which has man created first.
kanzenatsume
well Moses is the human author of Genesis so its understandable that he wasn't able to put it in correct order. He wasn't even born yet at that time, who knows?

Sorry, but you lost any religious credibility in the other thread- in which you pointed out that you believe something completely contrary to what the Bible actually says.
samurai4christ
dixieboy

you are right. man can lie. but, God is the one who wrote the book and, he wont let any man corupt his word.

That would be... difficult.

Does this hold for various translations as well? Along with the lists of (perhaps supposed) contradictions?

Dangerous Lunatic

samurai4christ
dixieboy

That raises another question

How do you know god wrote it?

and does that include all translations and alterations of it?

again two questions sweatdrop

Shy Puppy

Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
dixieboy

Does this hold for various translations as well? Along with the lists of (perhaps supposed) contradictions?

yes, it goes for the translations too. i think when they were translating the bible, like 2% of it wasnt the same BUT, it didnt change what it ment.
i dont get the second thing that you are saying? about the lists
dixieboy

That's okay, you can ask as many as you want!^^

What makes the bible so special? And how do we know that it's true?

The bible is special to Christians because it's our holy book. It's the guide to our faith, and we hold it in high regard because of that. It's just like the Qur'an to Islams.
We don't know of what's written in it is true, but that's why it's called believing and having faith. Christians believe that the things written in the bible are true, and so we find reason to believe it.
Yes, man dies tend to lie and mess things up, and that's why a lot of people ask questions like 'How can you know that what's written in the bible is real'?
But all we can do is believe.

Shy Puppy

dixieboy
samurai4christ
dixieboy

That raises another question

How do you know god wrote it?

and does that include all translations and alterations of it?

again two questions sweatdrop

Becaus, if you read, it, there is a lot of things in it that is true. the book is really old, before columbus said that the world was flat, it said in there that it was round. also, that the everything revolved around the sun.

yes, it does include translations. like i said to the last person, as they translated it, like 2% of it wasnt the same, BUT, that didnt change at all what it ment.
samurai4christ
Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
dixieboy

yes, it goes for the translations too. i think when they were translating the bible, like 2% of it wasnt the same BUT, it didnt change what it ment.

Have you, er, studied the differences in multiple translations? Because whenever I read 'em, I get a whole lot of different details. For that matter, what's your knowledge of the development of the Bible?

And there are lists of contradictions found in the Bible. Only English, mind you, but most Christians don't read outside of English (here I think the Muslims have the right idea, one should have to learn the languages of their holy book). The Bible also suggests things we know are wrong. Bats are not birds, for example, snakes don't eat dirt, and we don't live on a flat, stationary earth.
samurai4christ

That's alright!! If you have answers, then by all means, share them!^^

Shy Puppy

Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
dixieboy

Have you, er, studied the differences in multiple translations? Because whenever I read 'em, I get a whole lot of different details. For that matter, what's your knowledge of the development of the Bible?

And there are lists of contradictions found in the Bible. Only English, mind you, but most Christians don't read outside of English (here I think the Muslims have the right idea, one should have to learn the languages of their holy book). The Bible also suggests things we know are wrong. Bats are not birds, for example, snakes don't eat dirt, and we don't live on a flat, stationary earth.

i believe that people who find contradictions in the bible are taking what is writen in it the wrong way.

i dont get it?? what you are saying?
samurai4christ
Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
Angels_Satire
samurai4christ
dixieboy

i believe that people who find contradictions in the bible are taking what is writen in it the wrong way.

i dont get it?? what you are saying?

I'm sorry. The heat is not making me very clear. What part did you not get, my dear?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff