Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dark Lord Drake
iKnighty
Angels_Satire
Trorbes
Dark Lord Drake
Aredina

Wow did you know that the 10 commandments came from the Eqyptian Book of the Dead.

Source for this claim?

Zeitgeist likely. She's already pulled the Jesus = Horus argument out, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is from Zeitgeist too.

Actually, I've heard of that before Zeitgeist.

Let me try and find a source.

I already posted the source, http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10cl.htm.

Okay it bears some similarity. Though that doesn't really substantiate her claim that the 10 commandments came from there. Especially noting that those shared are the most common sense ones.

Your right I didnt have anything to back that up so much. But what he found showed you that. And concedering that the book of the dead was written before the 10 commandments were supposed to be its only logic. And the 10 commandments were not the only thing in the bible that have older sorces to them. Like I have broght up the Epic of Giligmesh, and Jesus himself, and even places in the bible have other older places they are found. Now I could look them up and show you this site or that, but you could just say well its just a fake site or something. The only way I could really show you that this is where it came from is if I personally showed you. Concerding this is the Inet, and Gaia guess that isnt happening.
and for all the fun I have had talking about god and the bible, I must leave and feed my chidren now. Enjoy in your debate or whatever you turn it into.
Dark Lord Drake
iKnighty
Angels_Satire
Trorbes
Dark Lord Drake
Aredina

Wow did you know that the 10 commandments came from the Eqyptian Book of the Dead.

Source for this claim?

Zeitgeist likely. She's already pulled the Jesus = Horus argument out, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is from Zeitgeist too.

Okay it bears some similarity. Though that doesn't really substantiate her claim that the 10 commandments came from there. Especially noting that those shared are the most common sense ones.

It's one of the possible origins.

I think Egyptologists are somewhat fond of that one, maybe.

It's been a long time since I looked at my Egyptology stuffs! Damn it!
Aredina
Dark Lord Drake
iKnighty
Angels_Satire
Trorbes

Your right I didnt have anything to back that up so much. But what he found showed you that. And concedering that the book of the dead was written before the 10 commandments were supposed to be its only logic. And the 10 commandments were not the only thing in the bible that have older sorces to them. Like I have broght up the Epic of Giligmesh, and Jesus himself, and even places in the bible have other older places they are found. Now I could look them up and show you this site or that, but you could just say well its just a fake site or something. The only way I could really show you that this is where it came from is if I personally showed you. Concerding this is the Inet, and Gaia guess that isnt happening.

Eh, his source said your theory was being debated amongst historians and also pointed out that 2 commandments were not in fact shared. It really didn't prove your claim though. And the fact it was written before doesn't mean so much when compared to the fact that those are values shared rather widely anyways. I doubt that the Book of the Dead had anything to do with beliefs against murder, adultery, and stealing from other parts of the world.
Angels_Satire
Dark Lord Drake
iKnighty
Angels_Satire
Trorbes

It's one of the possible origins.

I think Egyptologists are somewhat fond of that one, maybe.

It's been a long time since I looked at my Egyptology stuffs! Damn it!

Yeah it's possible. But she really needs a bit more than that to make the claim.

Personally, I consider things like not stealing, not murdering, and not committing adultery to not exactly need to be from some other source. And it seems like common sense that worshipping one god may displease another.
iKnighty
Auggie 10
iKnighty
Auggie 10
Aredina

HO HO thats funny too, shows me how much you really dont know about your own bible. Wow did you know that the 10 commandments came from the Eqyptian Book of the Dead. Haha that so funny. But really just because I dont agree with what it says about your god, and your christ, and ect dosnt mean I dont have to agree with the Princpels of it book.
Gee it seems like christans dont agree with evolution and people like me saying the earth is billions of years old. But oh yea Dinosaurs are cool.
Sorry to burst your bubble, But the ten commandments were NOT written by egyptians. They were written on a rock by the lord. I don't know what bible you are reading from, hun.

Then why are similar to the rules written in the Egyptian Book of the Dead.
Well, They could have copied off of the truth.

The Book of Dead was written about 1800 BCE, while the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt and the writing of the commandments is estimated at about 1491 BCE. What do you say about that?
"The Book of the Dead does not set forth religious tenets and was not considered by the ancient Egyptians to be the product of divine revelation, which allowed the content of the book of the dead to change over time." (source wikipedia) As it says up in blue, It was not a divine revelation. So if this is true, then this isn't all cracked up to be. Listen, I have never heard of your book of the dead or whatever, So I may consider checking it out and reading it. BUT only if you check out a Holy Bible copy. You learn about my religion, I will learn about yours. Just so we let this debate fair for both of us... Deal?
Auggie 10
iKnighty
Auggie 10
iKnighty
Auggie 10
Aredina

HO HO thats funny too, shows me how much you really dont know about your own bible. Wow did you know that the 10 commandments came from the Eqyptian Book of the Dead. Haha that so funny. But really just because I dont agree with what it says about your god, and your christ, and ect dosnt mean I dont have to agree with the Princpels of it book.
Gee it seems like christans dont agree with evolution and people like me saying the earth is billions of years old. But oh yea Dinosaurs are cool.
Sorry to burst your bubble, But the ten commandments were NOT written by egyptians. They were written on a rock by the lord. I don't know what bible you are reading from, hun.

Then why are similar to the rules written in the Egyptian Book of the Dead.
Well, They could have copied off of the truth.

The Book of Dead was written about 1800 BCE, while the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt and the writing of the commandments is estimated at about 1491 BCE. What do you say about that?
"The Book of the Dead does not set forth religious tenets and was not considered by the ancient Egyptians to be the product of divine revelation, which allowed the content of the book of the dead to change over time." (source wikipedia) As it says up in blue, It was not a divine revelation. So if this is true, then this isn't all cracked up to be. Listen, I have never heard of your book of the dead or whatever, So I may consider checking it out and reading it. BUT only if you check out a Holy Bible copy. You learn about my religion, I will learn about yours. Just so we let this debate fair for both of us... Deal?

I've already read the Bible and know a lot about your religion. The Book of the Dead isn't part of any religion that is alive today, that I know of. I don't believe in any religion, I'm an Atheistic Agnostic.
The fact that the Book of the Dead doesn't claim that it was divinely revealed doesn't change the fact that it is similar to the 10 Commandments.

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
http://www.fstdt.com will teach you EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about Christianity and the Bible. But ONLY if you read the quote comments.
six.... six.... six....
What are those spaces between the teeth of a comb called?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff