evil 0.15686274509804 15.7% [ 8 ]
neutral (they learn one way or the other) 0.68627450980392 68.6% [ 35 ]
Total Votes:[ 51 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
An interesting question posed to me by one of my instructors that has continued to randomly haunt me for the past few months as I struggle for an intelligent or rational answer.

Personally, I would like to believe that humans are naturally good. Any other thought would cause me to question why I like to be nice to people. I enjoy being kind, and the thought that perhaps humans naturally are simply designed to be evil and against one another would be highly depressing. It would also cause me to seek out those who are also kind and question their motives, for if we are all evil, are the good ones crazy?

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Good and evil are not constants. What is good in one case will not be good in another, and evil in one circumstance will not be evil under a different set of conditions. In any one instance, the right course of action will have been shaped by the influence of the past and the present. The result may or may not be "good" or "evil", but it will still be the right action.

So to answer your question, neither. There is no such thing as a person being evil, or good for that matter.

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Then what drives people's actions?
Empathy, duty, personal growth, kindness, motivation, cost/benefit analysis, charitability, wisdom, experience; narcissism, animosity, fear, ignorance, selfishness, apathy.

None of which can be "good" or "bad." A person who acts out of duty can do "evil"; while a person acting out of selfishness may do "good".

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I think it's too complicated to give a straight answer, but I've heard that little children are naturally prone to altruism. So, there's that.

King Codger

14,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
rshl
Then what drives people's actions?

To know that you have to learn about psychology and how the brain works. A good example of this is a pheromone test. In the study they sprayed a girl with extra pheromones and had her talk a walk through the park upwind. Even before men seen her that all started acting differently. It was all chemical, no good nor evil required. It was natural instinct.

Good and Evil means nothing. It's a concept of right and wrong that is derived from morals. Morals are chosen by your society. Like in africa there is a tribe of cannibals. Cannibalism is viewed as morally wrong in our society, but not theirs. It's just a way of life.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't think goodness or evil are innate; it's something you learn and choose.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Good and evil are concepts created by humans. Concepts they don't do so well with actually perceiving or achieving in real life.

That doesn't stop us from mythologizing people as heroes and villains, though. But the fact is, our heroes are flawed, and our villains can, at times, have redeeming aspects that we never give them enough credit for.

For the most part, though, no, we have no "Pure Good" or "Pure Evil" people. People generally are misinformed or misguided, but I'm hesitant to describe any of them as evil.

Fanatical Zealot

Most humans are born good; a sense of empathy, and morality, and rationality, ingrained into them at birth, to get them to do the right things.

Some people are born without any of these, and/or a sense of consequence, meaning they tend to do evil things.

While some good people do bad things and some bad people do good things, in general good people do good things and bad people do bad things.

While it's a little more complex than that, 98-99% of the population of more possess basic human empathy, which generally influences people to do good things; they feel for other people, know how they think, and so on, and as a result develop a sense of morality around not hurting others. A small percentage, around 1-2%, either are functionally or essentially pyschopaths. Despite this, they are responsible for around 20-40% of crime, and a much higher proportion of violent crime.

The other 50-75% are people without a sense of consequence, be from it being on drugs or alcohol, or with some other mental problem, or people who's environment ended up with them being bad people. While pyschos are still 20-40 times if not more likely to be criminals, most crime (50-60%, probably) is still committed by people not like this. While there are a variety of factors, usually it's a lack of understanding of consequence, be from it risky behavior or stupidity, and not necessarily a lack of empathy, just a lack of forethought (as in they may feel guilty afterwords but are pushed to do it). A large chunk of them committed crimes while on drugs. 40% of violent crime is committed while on alcohol, for instance, hence the whole consequence thing.

So, in general, most people, say 99%, are born good, and with an innate sense of morality and empathy. 98% end up being good, roughly, with 94-96% being the type to hardly if ever commit major crimes. Most crime is reckless crime, usually related to cars and driving, or negligent attitude, or even drugs. Most crimes deliberately aimed at hurting others are done by generally evil people, so, there's still that 1%, but it's about half and half.

So to answer your question, most people are born good, but not all, and some people change or do bad things anyways.

As for societal influences, most of these are situations where morality is not heavily tied. Religion and traditions tend to be where the gravest moral violations occur, but even then these aren't that big. Gays shouldn't marry, but they shouldn't necessarily be killed or murdered, or even hated. Lip disks are beautiful, or tattoos and piercings, and in others cultures body modification is frowned upon or even found to be disgusting. Some societies wear more or less clothes, with more or less being acceptable (walking around in a loincloth in public, to work, may not be acceptable in the U.S., but neither would wearing a T-shirt to the eskimos). However, most are against deviant sexuality, body mutilation, and even being naked. While the grey lines are often created by society, more extreme things, like don't steal, don't kill, don't kidnap and torture are more or less ingrained into us. Middle Eastern people don't find having their children die any better than Americans or Europeans or wherever in the world. These types of things tend to stay solid across the entire planet, and are more or less ingrained to us as instinct.

Fanatical Zealot

Xiam
Good and evil are concepts created by humans. Concepts they don't do so well with actually perceiving or achieving in real life.

That doesn't stop us from mythologizing people as heroes and villains, though. But the fact is, our heroes are flawed, and our villains can, at times, have redeeming aspects that we never give them enough credit for.

For the most part, though, no, we have no "Pure Good" or "Pure Evil" people. People generally are misinformed or misguided, but I'm hesitant to describe any of them as evil.

Hitler.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Xiam

Hitler.

As an example of an evil person? I'd agree. But pure evil seems unlikely. I doubt he was just a malicious a** to everyone he didn't need to help him.

Fanatical Zealot

The Herald of War
Suicidesoldier#1
Xiam

Hitler.

As an example of an evil person? I'd agree. But pure evil seems unlikely. I doubt he was just a malicious a** to everyone he didn't need to help him.

He seemed like it. In fact he often killed off people who did help him just because they got too powerful and could rival him. O_O

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Suicidesoldier#1
The Herald of War
Suicidesoldier#1
Xiam

Hitler.

He seemed like it. In fact he often killed off people who did help him just because they got too powerful and could rival him. O_O

Well that sounds like paranoia. But he could, idk, have been nice to his girlfriend. I'm not sure. And he might have thought he was doing what was best for the Germans that didn't fall into a hated category.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff