Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Shopper

8,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Are they?
That depends upon the system of morals behind it.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
With informed consent, yes.
Is swinging an axe ethical?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
The Catfish Blues
With informed consent, yes.

This.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
OhhCharm
Are they?
Ethics are subjective.

Liberal Reveler

9,550 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Out of all the countries in the world, we ban this. If people want to sell their body for science let them with consent and legal background checks being a must.

Hallowed Hunter

Depends on the experiment.

Friendly Lunatic

Dardanos Immortalis
Depends on the experiment.

This.

Some experiments are ethical even with only semi-informed consent; double blinds or psychological 'trick' experiments rely on the subject not being completely informed. But we have ethics boards for that instead. If people don't trust the ethics board, then they can refuse to participate, but that's bad for the data, so it's in the ethics board's interest to be very conservative and never violate that trust.

Things like drug trials do require significant informed consent.

Gaian

I'm sure we can just invade another country, test drugs on them after injecting them with a strain of a malady we have to deal with. No harm in killing those that are expendable, all for the good of Humanity.

Friendly Lunatic

AvenirLegacy
I'm sure we can just invade another country, test drugs on them after injecting them with a strain of a malady we have to deal with. No harm in killing those that are expendable, all for the good of Humanity.

That is literally what Nazi scientists did.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Blanket statement. Please specify.

A human experiment to find out what a particular country's favorite flavor of ice cream is will be much less harmful than say...

Gaian

e-Claire rc1
AvenirLegacy

By way of rumor it is what the Americans did to several Central Americans testing Penicillin as a treatment for AIDS.

Friendly Lunatic

AvenirLegacy
e-Claire rc1
AvenirLegacy

By way of rumor it is what the Americans did to several Central Americans testing Penicillin as a treatment for AIDS.

That seems a little far-fetched but I won't say I don't believe it.

Gaian

MachineMuse
AvenirLegacy
e-Claire rc1
AvenirLegacy

That seems a little far-fetched but I won't say I don't believe it.

Just an old story passed down my Central American heritage.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff