• Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Chieftain Twilight
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Chieftain Twilight
NightshadeNoxNix
I am a follower of Asatru and have been attached to Loki since I started. Are there any people out there that worship Loki as well? What are the reactions of Asatru followers to you? I try to find a website to help me learn how to worship Loki but there are hardly any.

he's not my Patron God, however he is one of my closest followed ones, along with Odin.

my main Deity is The Morrigan, though I also worship Loki, Odin, Shiva, Gnesh, Isis/Ishtar and The Kami and Oni. I'm mostly a Shinto/Taoist, however.

Are you saying that those two are the same?

no, probably not... they have similarities, but the differences are clear. I have seen them mentioned as different names or aspects of the same goddess, as worshipped in two sepperate ancient cultures, but that's probably because the people who wrote such things would rather think that only the Gods that they worship actually exist....

I debated with myself about whether I should name them together or not when I posted this and just told myself "********" and to see what happens, if anything.

please, disregard it. I don't actually think they are the same Goddess.
Alright. That was the first thing that crossed my mind so I had to ask.

can't blame you. it could be a big deal.

Manly Lunatic

Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
Salmenella
Curious. Why would it be silly if someone who wasn't of Scandinavian or Germanic descent were to be a Heathen?

I just find it funny when people who aren't of German or Scandinavian ancestry follow a religion that was primarily Germanic and Scandinavian. And usually when I hear of such people, I assume, like the users above, that they're only followers of Asatru, more specifically followers of Loki, because of Marvel. Or White Supremacists. But usually the former.

Wait wait... you can only be a part of a religion if you have blood of those from which it originated?

So Christians who are NOT descent of the Eastern Mediterranean are not really Christian? What I mean by that is, Greece and modern Israel, Egypt, etc...

Or say... Hindus/Buddhists in Japan are not really Hindus/Buddhists because they are not Indian/Tibetan/Nepalese descent?

What a silly argument.
Qyp
Salmenella
Curious. Why would it be silly if someone who wasn't of Scandinavian or Germanic descent were to be a Heathen?

I just find it funny when people who aren't of German or Scandinavian ancestry follow a religion that was primarily Germanic and Scandinavian. And usually when I hear of such people, I assume, like the users above, that they're only followers of Asatru, more specifically followers of Loki, because of Marvel. Or White Supremacists. But usually the former.

Wait wait... you can only be a part of a religion if you have blood of those from which it originated?

So Christians who are NOT descent of the Eastern Mediterranean are not really Christian? What I mean by that is, Greece and modern Israel, Egypt, etc...

Or say... Hindus/Buddhists in Japan are not really Hindus/Buddhists because they are not Indian/Tibetan/Nepalese descent?

What a silly argument.

Christians went out and converted everybody inside and outside of it's [alleged] middle-eastern geographic origin, and are still doing that.
Norsemen are not, and was mostly Northern Germanic and Scandinavian. Scandinavia was later Christianised, and the Norsemen stuck around for a little while afterwards.

Manly Lunatic

Qyp
Salmenella

What a silly argument.

Christians went out and converted everybody inside and outside of it's [alleged] middle-eastern geographic origin, and are still doing that.
Norsemen are not, and was mostly Northern Germanic and Scandinavian. Scandinavia was later Christianised, and the Norsemen stuck around for a little while afterwards.

Yeah... Christians were all about evangelism. Still are, obviously.

But really, people should be allowed to worship anything they want.

Invisible Phantom

I don't practice Asatru, but I always felt bad that it seemed like Loki always got a bad rap (at least online it seems like it). Seems like a great guy to me.
I've been a follower of Loki for the last four years, and I was drawn to him almost immediately upon researching the Norse pantheon. Something people need to realize is that many of the Norse mythos that we know today were "christianized" by the monks who translated it originally. Loki is the god of chaos, but that doesn't make him evil. As a follower of him, I've learned that he uses Chaos to make you learn and keep moving forward with your life. Since I've been worshipping him and Sigyn, my life has been the happiest its ever been. And honestly I didn't even know anything about the Marvel Loki until I watched Thor a few years ago, and by that point I was already worshipping Loki. (Though Tom Hiddleston is pretty yummy xp )

Timid Streaker

Salmenella

I don't think it's all that funny. People's religious beliefs shouldn't have to correspond to their ethnic backgrounds. If all people only believe in religions which stem from each person's respective heritage, that shows that those people only "believe" in those religions because it was most likely culturally instilled in them, perhaps accompanied by intolerance or denial of differing religions.

Dapper Lunatic

So this thread was already suggested on the first page but you really should check it out. It's long but there's some good stuff there.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/lokeans-and-asatru-still-here-despite-all-odds/t.633194/

And if you're interested in Loki you should check out this as well.
Top Ten Misconceptions About Loki!

Dapper Lunatic

prettykitty0716
Something people need to realize is that many of the Norse mythos that we know today were "christianized" by the monks who translated it originally.
Actually, most of the best known Norse Myths we have today (the ones from the Edda) were written down (not translated mind you) by an Icelandic politician named Snorri Sturluson. Now some of the Norse and particularly Anglo-Saxon epic poems and histories we have were written down by monks. Things like Beowulf or Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. But much of what we have seems to have had secular authors, like the Icelandic Sagas or Saxo's History of the Danes. And once again, most of them were not translating as they were writing the histories and legends of their own people in their own language. Now that's not to say that nothing was Christianized. Most of the folks writing these things down were thoroughly Christian themselves and many had reason to want to stay in the Church's good graces. As I mentioned before, Snorri was a politician, and being a politician in the middle ages usually meant you needed the support of the church.

Also, I've never found Loki to be a God of chaos so much as change. When thing get stagnant he shakes them up a bit. Change is hard and often unexpected but it's not the same as chaos. An chaos results from our own inability to manage change.
CalledTheRaven
prettykitty0716
Something people need to realize is that many of the Norse mythos that we know today were "christianized" by the monks who translated it originally.
Actually, most of the best known Norse Myths we have today (the ones from the Edda) were written down (not translated mind you) by an Icelandic politician named Snorri Sturluson. Now some of the Norse and particularly Anglo-Saxon epic poems and histories we have were written down by monks. Things like Beowulf or Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. But much of what we have seems to have had secular authors, like the Icelandic Sagas or Saxo's History of the Danes. And once again, most of them were not translating as they were writing the histories and legends of their own people in their own language. Now that's not to say that nothing was Christianized. Most of the folks writing these things down were thoroughly Christian themselves and many had reason to want to stay in the Church's good graces. As I mentioned before, Snorri was a politician, and being a politician in the middle ages usually meant you needed the support of the church.

Also, I've never found Loki to be a God of chaos so much as change. When thing get stagnant he shakes them up a bit. Change is hard and often unexpected but it's not the same as chaos. An chaos results from our own inability to manage change.

Thanks for the clarification. biggrin And I completely agree witht the fact that Loki is a god of Change, I think the reason he's assoicated with Chaos as well is that change can cause Chaos in certian situations, and as you say chaos results from people not being able to handle the change thrown at them.
Haha Coffee
Why the hell does no one follow any of the other Norse Gods?

******** Marvel..see what you have done?

Been following the Allfather for some time now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff