Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
TessTheWitch
My entitlement? Really? It's in my BLOOD, part of my history, my culture. Are you saying because I was not born there I have no right to the culture?

You will notice that I am saying very little at this stage. Merely asking questions.
Since I did not say that, where did the thought that if you are not born here you don't have a right to Irish culture come from, because it didn't come from me?

TessTheWitch
You must be such an uaigneach fear to come and pick on someone only trying to learn.

1) Adjectives in Irish follow nouns, they do not precede them. That's the rub of using an online translator word by word. You get things wrong. Because even google translate gets that right. But this serves as an excellent microcosm for the macrocosm that is your religion. You want to dress up the way you do things in Irish and it becomes patently obvious that you're getting everything wrong.
2) I am not picking on someone only trying to learn. I am correcting lies you are spreading about my culture.

TessTheWitch
I assume you do not even embrace the teachings with your attitude.

Then you are definitely not even remotely familiar with Irish culture.
I can cite at least one canonical exchange offhand where the knowledgable people were not polite and nice to each other. Half a dozen if I crack open the books.

TessTheWitch
Everyone has a right to pursue what they want even IF they are not of blood or born.

Your rights end where mine begin.

TessTheWitch
I am <family name> my mother's father born in Ireland

You do understand that I can check that out.
Just with that name.
I can pay the necessary funds to the Registry of Deaths and Births to determine exactly how many people were born with that very very foreign name in Ireland during the past, let's say, hundred years.

Edit: I've done this. That name does not appear in the Irish census data for the years 1800 through 1911
Edit 2: Not that I paid. I remembered that they made the census data free.

TessTheWitch
I have nothing to prove to you. Good day.

You did.
But you missed every single lifeline I gave you.

Shirtless Member

Quick question Cu. What site do you use for looking up names? Is it one specifically for Ireland?

I ask because I looked up my last name on Ancestry once and apparently nobody with my last name has ever been in Canada (despite a soldier who was born and raised in Canada with the same last name as me being on the news just a few years ago.) I'm not trying to undermine you or anything, I just prefer to get information on how to find things from people rather than google... Because google hates me unless I have a huge list of keywords I can use... Or a few very specific ones that elude me unless I ask questions of people who know better.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
ratgirl34
Quick question Cu. What site do you use for looking up names? Is it one specifically for Ireland?

I used the Irish census data.

ratgirl34
I'm not trying to undermine you or anything, I just prefer to get information on how to find things from people rather than google... Because google hates me unless I have a huge list of keywords I can use... Or a few very specific ones that elude me unless I ask questions of people who know better.

I'm afraid my approach won't be helpful in this specific instance.

Floppy Member

CuAnnan

********, it'st a good thing I didn't open with a hard question like "what is your name?" isn't it. She'd probably fail that one outright.

Should have asked her to pronounce yours. wink

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
TessTheWitch
I'm not posting in character, just where the hell did you get from? emotion_facepalm

If one is vaguely familiar with Irish history and culture, and/or with Gaelic or Celtic Reconstructionism, your posts look like a parody.
Plus, you made up more than one thing in your posts.

It is, therefore, more believable that you are either parodying or posting in character than it is to believe you have everything that wrong or that you were posting in vague earnest.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
TessTheWitch
Just becuase I come to gaia to rp does mean I cant talk about real things, what do I have to have 30 accounts for each topic? So I cant partake in the community or life style topic? YYea right get over yourself.

See previous comment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces