TERMS (IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE)

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
CHRISTIANITY

ISLAM

Islam has major similarities with Christianity in its ideas of the afterlife. However, there are very crucial differences that make it stand out: firstly, the idea of original sin is not accepted. Children naturally are inclined to goodness and towards the theological ideals of Islam, but are led astray through cultural influences. (Qur'an, Ar-Rum, 30) As such, children are sent to Hell, regardless of their parent's religious ideologies.

Heaven is described in the Qur'an with amazing detail; this is a simplified version given: “The example of Paradise, which the righteous have been promised, is [that] beneath it rivers flow. Its fruit is lasting, and its shade. That is the consequence for the righteous, and the consequence for the disbelievers is the Fire.” (Qur'an, Ar-Ra'd, 35)

A very detailed explanation of Heaven is provided in Al-Wāqi`ah: “In the Garden of Pleasure, a [large] company of the former peoples and a few of the later peoples, on thrones woven [with ornament], reclining on them, facing each other. There will circulate among them young boys made eternal with vessels, pitchers and a cup [of wine] from a flowing spring - no headache will they have therefrom, nor will they be intoxicated - and fruit of what they select and the meat of fowl, from whatever they desire. And [from them are] fair women with large, [beautiful] eyes, the likenesses of pearls well-protected, as reward for what they used to do. They will not hear therein ill speech or commission of sin - only a saying: 'Peace, peace.' The companions of the right - what are the companions of the right? [They will be] among lote trees with thorns removed and [banana] trees layered [with fruit] and shade extended and water poured out and fruit, abundant [and varied], neither limited [to season] nor forbidden, and [upon] beds raised high. Indeed, we have produced the women of Paradise in a [new] creation and made them virgins, devoted [to their husbands] and of equal age, for the companions of the right [who are] a company of the former peoples.” (Qur'an, Al-Wāqi`ah, 12-40)

Hell is just as well described in the Qur'an. “And the companions of the left - what are the companions of the left? [They will be] in scorching fire and scalding water and a shade of black smoke, neither cool nor beneficial. Indeed they were, before that, indulging in affluence, and they used to persist in the great violation, and they used to say, 'When we die and become dust and bones, are we indeed to be resurrected? And our forefathers [as well]?' Say, [O Muhammad], 'Indeed, the former and the later peoples are to be gathered together for the appointment of a known Day.' Then indeed you, O those astray [who are] deniers, will be eating from trees of zaqqum and filling with it your bellies and drinking on top of it from scalding water and will drink as the drinking of thirsty camels. That is their accommodation on the Day of Recompense.” (Qur'an, Al-Wāqi`ah, 41-56)

In conclusion, Islam's ideas on Hell and Heaven are similar to the traditional literal interpretation of Heaven held by most Christians.

JUDAISM

Leviticus 26:3-9
    “‘If you live by my regulations, observe my mitzvot and obey them; then I will provide the rain you need in its season, the land will yield its produce, and the trees in the field will yield their fruit. Your threshing time will extend until the grape harvest, and your grape harvesting will extend until the time for sowing seed. You will eat as much food as you want and live securely in your land. I will give shalom in the land — you will lie down to sleep unafraid of anyone. I will rid the land of wild animals. The sword will not go through your land. You will pursue your enemies, and they will fall before your sword. Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand — your enemies will fall before your sword. “‘I will turn toward you, make you productive, increase your numbers and uphold my covenant with you. . . .”

Deuteronomy 11:13-15
    “So if you listen carefully to my mitzvot which I am giving you today, to love Adonai your God and serve him with all your heart and all your being; then, [says Adonai,] ‘I will give your land its rain at the right seasons, including the early fall rains and the late spring rains; so that you can gather in your wheat, new wine and olive oil; and I will give your fields grass for your livestock; with the result that you will eat and be satisfied.’

Both of these verses show a very important concept in Judaism that separates it from Christianity and Islam: Jews believe in immediate and empirical rewards for good action and for following orders, as opposed to specific afterlife. (Source, Olam Ha-Ba: The World to Come) However, this is not to say that an afterlife is not mentioned. Olam Ha-Ba is a higher spiritual state of existence. It is described as a banquet hall or “home” away from the hotel of the world.

The spiritual plane of reward for the righteous is referred to as Gan Eden (the Garden of Eden). It is directly connected to the Genesis creation story. Only the very righteous will reside here: the average person is sent to Gehinnom, a place of punishment, purification, and redemption. (Source,Gan Eden and Gehinnom) Details differ among interpretations, and specifics are unknown. However, it is generally seen as the Jewish equivalent of Hell. Sheol is the land of the dead, of which the inhabitants are both the righteous and unrighteous, regardless of their moral choices. It is “a place of stillness and darkness cut off from God.”

SIKHISM

Sikhs believe in reincarnation. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib makes this quite clear. "Those who meditate on God attain salvation. For them, the cycle of birth and death is eliminated." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 11) However, a Heaven and Hell do exist to the Sikh. Sikhs believe that, before rebirth, souls are placed either in Heaven or Hell to be rewarded or punished for a temporary amount of time due to their actions on earth, then they are reborn - this cycle repeats until they break the cycle by obtaining oneness with God (Mukti, or Moksha), a goal similar to that of Hinduism.

You might find this little tidbit of information fascinating. Or not. This is the response realsikhism.com has to the idea of a permanant heaven or hell:

http://realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248308791&ucat=7
    How do we know we are reborn? We take birth and we do die. Sikhism does believe in the existence of heaven and hell, however, heaven and hell are created to reward and punish, one will then take birth again until one merges in God. According to some religion, the soul either goes to heaven or hell after death and stays there. So, how are people and other animals being born on this Earth? Is God creating new souls? If He is then no matter how big is heaven or hell it is going to be filled. If you consider a lake as heaven and think of drops of water being added to it as souls, then no matter how big the lake is, if no drops of water is leaving the lake, it is going to be filled some time in future. Our souls just ending in heaven or hell after death and God creating new soul doesn’t make sense. If God creates new souls, then why are children born with disabilities? Souls are born with disabilities because of the bad deeds they committed in their previous life. It is up to God if he sends the soul to hell to make it realize the consequences of its actions or be born and make it realize in its next life.

BUDDHISM

HINDUISM

WICCA

ZOROASTRIANISM

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Boy, all kinds of complex. So where should we be chipping in, in regards to discussion? Hm...

That reminds me, I need to finish reading Bardo Thodol.

Hallowed Hunter

I vote reincarnation rebirth.

Friend

They're all right.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
metamary
They're all right.

How is this possible?
Some of them are mutually exclusive?
You cannot have two mutually exclusive truths.

Friend

CuAnnan
metamary
They're all right.

How is this possible?

Why not?
metamary
CuAnnan
How is this possible?

Why not?

Because (the existence of) one would exclude the other (from existence).

Friend

Lucky~9~Lives
metamary
CuAnnan
How is this possible?

Why not?

Who says?
metamary
Lucky~9~Lives
metamary
CuAnnan
How is this possible?

Why not?

Who says?

Those who understand 'mutually' to mean 'reciprocally', and 'exclusive' to mean 'precluding of inclusion'.

Friend

Lucky~9~Lives
metamary
Lucky~9~Lives
metamary
CuAnnan
How is this possible?

Why not?

Who says?

Those who understand 'mutually' to mean 'reciprocally', and 'exclusive' to mean 'precluding of inclusion'.

Those are nothing but words.
metamary
Lucky~9~Lives

Reciprocally: performed, experienced, or felt by both sides.
- emotion_hug

Friend

Lucky~9~Lives
metamary
Lucky~9~Lives

Reciprocally: performed, experienced, or felt by both sides.
- emotion_hug

So?
Sometimes, I like to pretend that Narnia is my afterlife.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff