• Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
metamary
CuAnnan
metamary
Have I offended you?

Madam, you offend reason.

How?

By insisting that mutually exclusive truths can be true.
By insisting that some supposed "system" is responsible for our belief in objective truth.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Admiral Dardanos

Understandable. I spent years jumping between definitions. Now I'm an agnostic atheist with Buddhist inclinations it seems. There's a whole host of other latin words I could use to describe myself if I wanted to get really detailed.

What do you consider yourself, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm a Roman Reconstructionist.

Friend

CuAnnan
metamary
CuAnnan
metamary
Have I offended you?

Madam, you offend reason.

How?

By insisting that mutually exclusive truths can be true.
By insisting that some supposed "system" is responsible for our belief in objective truth.

Why can't it be true?

Hallowed Hunter

Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

Understandable. I spent years jumping between definitions. Now I'm an agnostic atheist with Buddhist inclinations it seems. There's a whole host of other latin words I could use to describe myself if I wanted to get really detailed.

How does that work? The traditional Roman Pantheon?

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

Cultores Deorum to be exact. I take scholarly essays and historical findings on how the Romans worshiped their Gods and try to fit it into a modern perspective. But yah, the traditional Roman Pantheon. Other Gods from other pantheons can be mixed in as well if it works seeing as the Romans worshiped Greek, Egyptian, and sometimes even Germanic Gods.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
Afterlives are too obviously a product of human desire for me to put much stock in the notion.

This wasn't about how much "stock" you personally put in one versus another. This was about comparing different ideas about the afterlife.

Oh, how silly of me, the OP was so very clear on that point.

I never said it was clear. Hence, why I explained myself. You're welcome.
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
Afterlives are too obviously a product of human desire for me to put much stock in the notion.

This wasn't about how much "stock" you personally put in one versus another. This was about comparing different ideas about the afterlife.

I certainly feel so.

The point I was making still stands however; regardless of the factor you deigned to emphasise. They all exhibit a wish for continued consciousness, and most a wish to curb what are perceived as negative behaviours in their mortal life for promise of a joyful immortal existence. The rest is mostly detail.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic

I certainly feel so.

The point I was making still stands however; regardless of the factor you deigned to emphasise. They all exhibit a wish for continued consciousness, and most a wish to curb what are perceived as negative behaviours in their mortal life for promise of a joyful immortal existence. The rest is mostly detail.

Not necessarily. (I.e., in Judaism, they tend to worry about the world, and not the afterlife, because of the benefits they receive in mortal life for their good deeds; there are many Jews that don't even necessarily accept an afterlife).
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic
The New Wineskin
Fermionic

I certainly feel so.

Not necessarily. (I.e., in Judaism, they tend to worry about the world, and not the afterlife, because of the benefits they receive in mortal life for their good deeds; there are many Jews that don't even necessarily accept an afterlife).

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Hallowed Hunter

Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

Cultores Deorum to be exact. I take scholarly essays and historical findings on how the Romans worshiped their Gods and try to fit it into a modern perspective. But yah, the traditional Roman Pantheon. Other Gods from other pantheons can be mixed in as well if it works seeing as the Romans worshiped Greek, Egyptian, and sometimes even Germanic Gods.

I've always like polytheism. Its so much more colorful than monotheism. The traditional Roman pantheon is the Greek Pantheon is it not, simply by different names?

The Trojan War is my favorite myth so the Greek Pantheon has always intrigued me.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

I've always like polytheism. Its so much more colorful than monotheism. The traditional Roman pantheon is the Greek Pantheon is it not, simply by different names?

The Trojan War is my favorite myth so the Greek Pantheon has always intrigued me.

Eh yes and no. They did take some Greek deities and renamed them and some do have similar mythologies to them, but they are still different deities. There's a whole bunch about various names and what not for the Roman deities (different names for each God makes them different) but I'm still not that educated on it as I'm still a baby convert. Still learning myself.
I don't know if the Greek pantheon have that as far as names go. The Romans also didn't believe the Gods lived on Mount Olympus.

Anyways yah..I could keep on going but I don't want to go off topic and bore you lol

Hallowed Hunter

Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos
Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

Eh yes and no. They did take some Greek deities and renamed them and some do have similar mythologies to them, but they are still different deities. There's a whole bunch about various names and what not for the Roman deities (different names for each God makes them different) but I'm still not that educated on it as I'm still a baby convert. Still learning myself.
I don't know if the Greek pantheon have that as far as names go. The Romans also didn't believe the Gods lived on Mount Olympus.

Anyways yah..I could keep on going but I don't want to go off topic and bore you lol

The ED is so slow these days, any conversation is appreciated.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Admiral Dardanos

True. Still though. I don't want to come off like I know everything. I don't, still learning sweatdrop

Hallowed Hunter

Salmenella
Admiral Dardanos

True. Still though. I don't want to come off like I know everything. I don't, still learning sweatdrop

An admirable quality. We are all learning. Those who claim to know everything, well, they are the ones to watch out for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff