Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan_and_proud
Duste D
Pagan_and_proud
Well I started my journey with a book by SRW. I read it and reaserched it much more. Most of the Neo-Pagan ideas fit with my own personal belifs. Like I never believed in hell. I never fully belived in one God. I always saw the Greek Gods involved With Yaweh.

I believed in reincarnation and a few other things. It seems to fit me perfectly. Now I'm an ecceltic neo-pagan so I get to look at different belifs and reaserch them and use what i fidn appealing and fits me.

Its a what works for you religion. Its not that structured (Unless your wiccan in which each trad has specific rules) and you can always learn new and exciting things about your faith and your understaings of the different paths.

Cool. I've always had an interest in why people chose to become pagans. It's possible that as someone who has never really had a god or religion in their life cannot conceive what it means to convert. Paganism has always stuck out in my mind as special. I have often considered 'trying" it out. Purhapes I should take a look at it again. It's not that I have any preconceived notions of pagans, hell, I dated a Wiccan for a while, so I don't believe that "pagans are evil" crap. As well, I like to think myself rational.
You should look into it. Many of the books are "wicca" but its really neo-paganisim of an ecceltic types based on wiccan teachings. I think you'd find the theology and the ideals very interesting.

I agree with you on the idea of converting.

Can I ask you why you chose athisim? Like why you left religion completly?

But of course, unfortunatly, once I am done this post, I'm off to bed, it's late as hell, but add me to your friendlist or pm me, I'll be on again tomorrow.

So, why did I choose athiesm? Well, to begin with, I never really felt what those in the know (religious) call faith. I was never taught the bible, never went to sunday school, rarly saw the inside of a church (special occasions, some holidays if we are with certain people). Hell, the first book I can ever remeber was one of those science for kids books, that explained the creation of the universe scientifcally. I beleive that very event is the beginning of it all, that I became aware of science before religion, though I am far from a good science student (I can understand any theory thrown at me, I just can't do the math). So, when I grew a little older, I actually made an attempt to get in the whole Christian thing..... but once again, I just didn't feel it like the others did. I have no spiritual faith. I truely cannot preceive a concept like a deity that has no scientific basis or proving, or even positively leaning, evidence.

As this feeling grew and grew, that I was just not right for this atmosphere, I checked many other religions (I still stand by a remark I made in Sociology class, that if I did one day find a religion that inspired faith, no matter what religion it was, I would join it, for it would do what I think i currently impossible). I checked everything, from Judaeism to Islam to Hindu to Buddhist to everything! This is when Paganism first caught my eye, it seemed different from the rest, but anyway.

After going through that long journey, and coming up empty handed, I chec the dictionary for the antithesis of belief, and Athiesm came up. Until then, I really didn't know that there was a definition for someone like myself, I thought I had slipped through some crack in the sstem (this was age 11, mind you). I took that as my definition, and have been developing my thoughts since.
I've sort of changed religions, but I don't have hols. I just stick with xmas and easter and pancake tuesday[but not lent or ash wednesday blaugh ] and that's it. Chocolate holidays.
bluewolfcub
I've sort of changed religions, but I don't have hols. I just stick with xmas and easter and pancake tuesday[but not lent or ash wednesday blaugh ] and that's it. Chocolate holidays.
Pancake Tuesday?
Never heard of it?
The week before Lent as far as I remember[or maybe the same week it starts...] there's pancake tuesday and ash wednesday, when catholics get ashes in the shape of a cross on their foreheads. ashes to ashes, dust to dust, that kinda thing.
I don't remember what basis pancake tuesday has in anything, but we eat lots of pancakes.
I guess not really...well, I don't really have a religion yet. I used to be interested in the Wiccan one, but it quickly lost me. Now my friend has introduced me to the LDS church, and as far as I know they don't hold any special holidays other than the basic Christmas and so on.
Hinduism is a Pagan religion if you think about it, but to some it's just a normal religion.
Destinykeeper
Hinduism is a Pagan religion if you think about it, but to some it's just a normal religion.
I dont always consider hindu to be a pagan religion. Hindu is a way of life more then a religion.

That still doenst answer the origanal question on was it hard to get used to the change and did you feel bad at all for missing some of those hollidays your first time around the year?

EDIT: Are you saying that pagan religions arent normal religions? I'm insulted.
I did have a bit of trouble adjusting to holidays. I still celebrate the major ones with my family (christmas and easter) but only the non religious view point.
I'm having that problem too! I went from christian to celtic traditions and it's alot to keep up with! My boyfriend ((who is christian)) is somewhat amused saying I can make up holidays if I want and my boss wouldn't know any better like "The celtic festival of the big toe"

One of the guys I play D&D with got upset because I got a day off for a holiday I don't even celebrate ^^ though I still kinda celebrate christmas...I get gifts.....and give gifts...and eat. Lots of eating...oh buddy...
bluewolfcub
Never heard of it?
The week before Lent as far as I remember[or maybe the same week it starts...] there's pancake tuesday and ash wednesday, when catholics get ashes in the shape of a cross on their foreheads. ashes to ashes, dust to dust, that kinda thing.
I don't remember what basis pancake tuesday has in anything, but we eat lots of pancakes.
Ash wednesday is after good friday and supossadly a aprt of lent for my memory. Though Pancakes Tuesday I had never heard of before. But sounds like my kinda holliday!
I for one wouldnt feel bad...the only reason I celebrate some christian holidays is because I get free stuff and food, lol. I am trying to learn more of the pagan faith but if I celebrated the Pagan holidays because I would be pagan I wouldnt feel bad because I never felt anything for those religons and i was brought up with it. Even if I did believe in christianity at one time I still wouldnt feel bad because it's your faith and opinion. You can think whatever the hell you want. As long as you can be happy with it then I think it's fine.
I for one wouldnt feel bad...the only reason I celebrate some christian holidays is because I get free stuff and food, lol. I am trying to learn more of the pagan faith but if I celebrated the Pagan holidays because I would be pagan I wouldnt feel bad because I never felt anything for those religons and i was brought up with it. Even if I did believe in christianity at one time I still wouldnt feel bad because it's your faith and opinion. You can think whatever the hell you want. As long as you can be happy with it then I think it's fine.

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
i think pancake tuesday is up there with fat tuesday. since it's before lent, you gorge yourself with the things you are going to abstain from...i'll talk to the priest i still know (episcopalian) and see what he says.

umm, hmm...the religious holidays of christianity (of which i used to be) never really struck a chord as religious. like you and Duste D, it was more of a family celebration. i got to spend time with my family, see them laugh, live, and cry. i got to see them smile when they saw how much i actually paid attention, when i got them a gift they had been wanting/needing badly. i also got to see what others thought of me, represented by what they gave me as a gift.

now...i'm still having trouble adjusting to the idea of other holidays. i definitely think the stories behind them much more involving, much more enlivening as well.

but then, when i think of it, the customs for the religion i now belong (neo-pagan, aspiring druid, as you already knew, Pagan_and_proud), there are certain things that have so much more meaning. like a 'dumb supper' for samhain. since this feast is there to remember the dead, having a meal for the dead, where no one speaks, and having an empty chair seems so much more meaningful than celebrating the birth and resurrection of someone who i have nothing in common with. that's my approach to it.
Summoner_Aiona
I'm having that problem too! I went from christian to celtic traditions and it's alot to keep up with! My boyfriend ((who is christian)) is somewhat amused saying I can make up holidays if I want and my boss wouldn't know any better like "The celtic festival of the big toe"
LMAO!

Summoner_Aiona
One of the guys I play D&D with got upset because I got a day off for a holiday I don't even celebrate ^^ though I still kinda celebrate christmas...I get gifts.....and give gifts...and eat. Lots of eating...oh buddy...
I akways saw christmas as a family holliday.
As I'm currently in the market for religions, I usually just celebrate the holidays of my nation, and when invited, the holidays of my neighbors. For example, I was just invite to the Feast of Aegir this spring. I have no idea what it's about, but it will be good to find out. Strangely enough, as I lead a rather secular lifestyle, I've found I celebrate as many if not more holidays, than when my Salad bar on Sunday family got us all together for the religious ones..... (Watching the one follower of Judaism, who had married into the family, on the Easter get togethers was a rare treat....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff