Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
When you say you are against Religion, are you against religion itself? Or are you against believing in God/following Him? I'm curious.
It sometimes isn't religion, and it isn't God.

Its the morons who are following that religion. Its the things they say, and the things they do, which ultimately defiles anything respectable about that religion.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Henry Hobo-Master
It sometimes isn't religion, and it isn't God.

Its the morons who are following that religion. Its the things they say, and the things they do, which ultimately defiles anything respectable about that religion.

QFT.

Interesting Citizen

I am against religion. It is pointless.
From what I've learned/experienced, the only thing that matters is having a relationship with God.
When I tell people that I'm a Born Again Christian, but that I'm not religious, it causes a lot of confusion and I can see why.
Most accurately explained through this.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I am against any symbol that makes a truth claim prior to receiving evidence or information about the grounds for such a claim.

Afterlife claims to know what happens when we die.

Salvation claims that we need to be saved by something nonexistent from something inconsequential.

Sin claims to understand right and wrong without exploring the effects of right and wrong.

Morality Laws claim to have an absolute grasp on what should or should not be done without analyzing the effects of such an imposition.

At least storybooks, horror movies, video games, and other forms of fiction are honest in their approach.

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
Religion, it's religion that proves to be a danger to society, believe in and do whatever the ******** you want, I don't give a single ********, but as soon as religion pops up it gets everywhere, spreading it's filth worse than plague.

I will also say this though, while I don't care what other people believe and have no problems with others believing in any god, if gods were real I likely wouldn't respect at least most of them myself, and some i would make an attempt to kill for the betterment of mankind. It's a good thing it's all just belief though.

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
stealthmongoose
I am against any symbol that makes a truth claim prior to receiving evidence or information about the grounds for such a claim.

Salvation claims that we need to be saved by something nonexistent from something inconsequential.

Sin claims to understand right and wrong without exploring the effects of right and wrong.

Morality Laws claim to have an absolute grasp on what should or should not be done without analyzing the effects of such an imposition.

At least storybooks, horror movies, video games, and other forms of fiction are honest in their approach.
Would you not have a problem with a religion that has none of these things? I would simply because it is a religion, and therefore a threat to society that must be eliminated before society can begin to advance.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Trollzors Vader
stealthmongoose

Would you not have a problem with a religion that has none of these things? I would simply because it is a religion, and therefore a threat to society that must be eliminated before society can begin to advance.

I would say that if a religion had none of these things (Or even anything like them, like appeals to the supernatural) then it would cease being a religion and become indistinguishable from science or any other respectable field of study.

Your question comes across like "If jedi had no force powers, no lightsaber, and no connection to the force, would you still consider them jedi?" when clearly a jedi is defined by their connection to the force, thus rendering them non-jedi.
xXZirkannia
From what I've learned/experienced, the only thing that matters is having a relationship with God.
When I tell people that I'm a Born Again Christian, but that I'm not religious, it causes a lot of confusion and I can see why.

Quote:
re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:

The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
Details of belief as taught or discussed.

So explain to me how you aren't religious?

Interesting Citizen

Disconsented
xXZirkannia

Quote:
re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:

The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

I'd have to go into scripture and give a biblical arguement as to how religion isn't what God intended and is most definitely not what Jesus came to do, but I feel like that would be a dizzy waste of time because the Bible is so unfairly discredited by people who barely read it. I'd also have to defend myself by saying that it's not just a belief and that I know God exists, but that would probably land me a crazy stamp on my head.
That, and I meant it more along the lines of Organized Religion, such as denominations.
xXZirkannia
Disconsented
xXZirkannia

Quote:
re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:

I'd have to go into scripture and give a biblical arguement as to how religion isn't what God intended and is most definitely not what Jesus came to do, but I feel like that would be a dizzy waste of time because the Bible is so unfairly discredited by people who barely read it. I'd also have to defend myself by saying that it's not just a belief and that I know God exists, but that would probably land me a crazy stamp on my head.
That, and I meant it more along the lines of Organized Religion, such as denominations.

Intentions of what you believe in are irreverent. No evidence makes it a belief.

Interesting Citizen

Disconsented
xXZirkannia
Disconsented
xXZirkannia

Quote:
re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:

Intentions of what you believe in are irreverent. No evidence makes it a belief.

The bible itself is historical proof enough. Unfortunate that it's so discounted, but I'll stop there.

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
xXZirkannia

Spot on! That's exactly what I was going to get to in this thread! I, too, am a Born-Again Christian, and I'm tired of people being pushed away from God by stupid religions!

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
xXZirkannia
Disconsented
xXZirkannia
Disconsented
xXZirkannia

Quote:
re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:

The bible itself is historical proof enough. Unfortunate that it's so discounted, but I'll stop there.

"In fact, religion is defined as any system, set of rules, exceptions, or regulations that promises God's acceptance in return for human effort.... Some scholars argue that the root of the word "Religion" means "return to bondage. . . Rules-following religious people believe their behaviour and beliefs are right and everyone else is wrong." -Craig Groeshcel

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, on a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, and adulterers - or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of what I get!'
But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God." -Luke 18:10-14, NIV version.

For those of you reading who aren't super knowledgeable about people in the time that the Bible was written, a Pharisee was basically a high priest of God. They followed 613 different commandments (made up by them, not given to them by God) to the T, however, they were often shamed by Jesus himself because they were so full of their rules that they did not care to hear what Jesus was telling them. Their cups were full of 'knowledge' they had made up. Also, tax collectors were the scum of the earth in those times, everyone hated them.

"Therefore, no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin... Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." -Romans 3:20,22-24

The "law" that they are talking about does not mean our governmental laws now, it refers to the 'laws' that the Jews followed in order to keep themselves pure and clean. This includes the sacrifices that they had to make in order to be cleansed of their sins.

These are just some of the examples about how Religion differs from belief in God, and following Him.

Interesting Citizen

^Amen!

That's exactly what I try to get at, I'm just not brave enough to get in too deep with scripture against others due to lack of time for serious debate, and the fact that I'm terrible at remembering exact scripture numbers, hahah.
Glad to see a fellow follower being courageous, though. =D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces