Welcome to Gaia! ::

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
This is gaiaonline people, why do we need to connect to some creepy website to play a game. how is this Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone. relevant to this game?

what kind of deal has gaia done with facebook?
Hoshioni

This is gaiaonline people, why do we need to connect to some creepy website to play a game. how is this Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone. relevant to this game?

A deal for profit of course, and the sharing of user information as well I'm sure.

Beloved Elder

Simple enough. Moga was written by Gaia to be a Facebook game, not a Gaia game. It uses Facebook credentials throughout, not Gaia credentials. It is intended to attract interest from Facebook users (along with some money) and encourage them to create Gaia accounts (mostly by requiring a Gaia account to claim a daily prize and participate in the forums).

They've only added a way to play it from within Gaia because some of the players requested it.

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
Aoumiel the Adept
Hoshioni

A deal for profit of course, and the sharing of user information as well I'm sure.

im starting to get annoyed at datamining habits, it cant be that profitable. (if its really only for what they claim)

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Hoshioni
Aoumiel the Adept
Hoshioni

im starting to get annoyed at datamining habits, it cant be that profitable. (if its really only for what they claim)

You'd be surprised how profitable it is for them. While gaia what we had like 410k Like on FB I think when they were doing that yet Monster Galaxy has if I recall it was in the millions of how many users are using it. So they reach a much wider audience. It's all for the money. Which is so sad.
Hoshioni

As stated in the FAQ, It would take a long time to develop and fully port the game onto Gaia.

As for "name profile picture, gender" , make a facebook mule if you don't want to share that!!

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
azndreams
Hoshioni
Aoumiel the Adept
Hoshioni

A deal for profit of couris bese, and the sharing of user information as well I'm sure.

You'd be surprised how profitable it is for them. While gaia what we had like 410k Like on FB I think when they were doing that yet Monster Galaxy has if I recall it was in the millions of how many users are using it. So they reach a much wider audience. It's all for the money. Which is so sad.

its not the point these people have been caught in privacy abuse. hoes it making them money?

Hallowed Sex Symbol

14,550 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200

As quoted from Panagrammic.
Panagrammic
Monster Galaxy Soft Launched
Monster Galaxy has been soft launched, and is available on the games page -- thanks to the Moga team for the great game!

There is some (understandable) confusion about the requirement for Facebook Connect. You do need to have an account on Facebook but you do not need to connect your Gaia account to Facebook if you don't want to -- just log into Facebook at the appropriate time and you'll be able to play.

Why the requirement to have a Facebook account? Simply because that's what the game was originally written for, and we wanted to get the game out earlier rather than later.

10,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
Fobulous
Hoshioni

As stated in the FAQ, It would take a long time to develop and fully port the game onto Gaia.

As for "name profile picture, gender" , make a facebook mule if you don't want to share that!!

i might be more prone 2 buy that, if it wasnt 4 the fact they already made zomg.
HeIIraiser

As quoted from Panagrammic.
Panagrammic
Monster Galaxy Soft Launched
Monster Galaxy has been soft launched, and is available on the games page -- thanks to the Moga team for the great game!

There is some (understandable) confusion about the requirement for Facebook Connect. You do need to have an account on Facebook but you do not need to connect your Gaia account to Facebook if you don't want to -- just log into Facebook at the appropriate time and you'll be able to play.

Why the requirement to have a Facebook account? Simply because that's what the game was originally written for, and we wanted to get the game out earlier rather than later.

Call me suspicious and jaded, but I'm not buying that explanation. It profits Gaia and FB to have 'cross-pollination' between the user-bases. The built in need for 'friends' pretty much proves this. Get more people signing up, using, sharing their info... Datamining and the abuse of personal info IS something FB profits off.

Beloved Elder

It's not that simple. Moga is coded to access your Facebook friends list. Re-coding to access your Gaia friends list would be serious work, since all the database calls are different. Moga is also coded to accept Facebook money. Re-coding to use Gaia money (whether cash or gold) would again be serious work. Moga is also coded so friends can gift items to friends using the Facebook game-gifting mechanism. Recoding to use the Gaia trade mechanism would again take serious work.

None of the above is impossibly hard. But it would take lots of dev time to debug. All they had to do for today's action was to add a link to the Gaia game page. No recoding at all.

(Edit: Someone said we can now earn Gaia gold by using whistles. That must have taken some recoding.)

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Hoshioni

Well look at it from another point then. Like let's say a website makes .01 cent for every time the website is visited. Even though the website is shamelessly promoting themselves everywhere they get money for all the traffic directed to them. So gaia might not directly make any money from Monster Galaxy in the amount of traffic generated on FB from it and the people who spend money on Gaia Cash and powerups for zOMG and then spend money on FB credits for Moga cash and everything on Monster Galaxy they are making a ton.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff