Welcome to Gaia! ::

1 100.0% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
1 2 >

Greedy Smoker

Well, I've been thinking about it for some time now but the only thing
holding me back is the paying options. As that holds me back from
playing a lot of MMO's. I don't like to pay for PC MMO's so..
is the game fun without paying or is it necessary?

Also, if you could tell me a little about the game that'd be great too.

Angelic Explorer

The game has a couple of free to player servers, so you don't need to worry about paying if you don't want to. Getting a 'VIP' account gives you some boosted EXP gain and stuff like that, but nothing that you would normally miss out on in the game. Same goes for their cash shop.

Wall of text incoming, sorta. It's all good/useful info though.

As for the game itself, it's pretty old but it's one of my favorite MMOs. It has quite a few classes - six regular starting classes (Swordsman, Acolyte, Thief, Archer, Magician, Merchant), which branch off into two choices of second job classes (Swordsman can become a Knight or Crusader, Magician can become a Wizard or Sage, etc.), which can go on to become a Transcendent version of their chosen branch (Knights become Lord Knights, Crusaders become Paladins. Note that transcending reverts you back to a level 1 Novice with 100 stat points to invest, where you then become your first job again and then go and become your transcendent class.) and finish with their Third Job (You can also go straight from a level 99 second job into your third job, but you miss out on Transcendent skills and the extra stat points when you do that).

The game is pretty tough. Drop rates for gear and cards (cards are inserted into socketed pieces of equipment to make your character stronger, they're pretty important later on) are really low, so expect to be buying most of your useful stuff from other players. Monsters can shred you if you're unprepared, but once you have a good understanding of the game mechanics you can run circles around them. Since you choose which stats and skills to invest in, you can make highly diverse builds. There's plenty of character builds out there to go from, but you can follow them rather loosely and still have your character be awesome.

Beyond the nitty gritty of it, Ragnarok has a wonderful atmosphere. The graphics are nice, there are a ton of maps to see, there's lots of interesting monsters (some are generic/made up, but a lot of the monsters in RO are based on mythological creatures, with the Norse mythology being the most prominent one). If you'd like to pick a good starting character, I would personally recommend either a Thief or Magician. Thieves get an excellent dodge rate (you can get as high as 95% dodge rate on monsters), and good attack power/speed. Magicians get access to all the elements and can -really- dish out the damage - they're fragile, but skills like Firewall make it so most enemies have a hard time reaching you. A really good magician practically never gets hit because of how versatile they are.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi

Thanks for the post. I was actually trying to download it from the main site but
every time I download the whole thing it says that it never finished.
;l

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
Thanks for the post. I was actually trying to download it from the main site but
;l
Weird. I dunno what to tell you - the only other thing I could think of would be to try a different computer or network to download from.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi
40oz. to freedom
;l
Weird. I dunno what to tell you - the only other thing I could think of would be to try a different computer or network to download from.

See, I'm downloading from google chrome. When it's fully done my whole computer will just SLOOWWWW DOWWWWNNNN. But if I go to my folder to try to open the full install pretty much my computer slows down even worse to the point that I cant do anything and forced to restart. THAN when I come back it says that the download hasn't completed / failed.

DOH!

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
See, I'm downloading from google chrome. When it's fully done my whole computer will just SLOOWWWW DOWWWWNNNN. But if I go to my folder to try to open the full install pretty much my computer slows down even worse to the point that I cant do anything and forced to restart. THAN when I come back it says that the download hasn't completed / failed.

DOH!
Have you tried another browser? I kinda doubt it's the problem, but it's simpler to try.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi
40oz. to freedom

DOH!
Have you tried another browser? I kinda doubt it's the problem, but it's simpler to try.

I deleted all my other browsers because google chrome is AMAZING! But.. I guess I can try DLing firefox again.

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
I deleted all my other browsers because google chrome is AMAZING! But.. I guess I can try DLing firefox again.
Yeah, Firefox will probably be a good one to try. Hope it works this time.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi
40oz. to freedom
Yeah, Firefox will probably be a good one to try. Hope it works this time.

Well, thanks for sticking in there with me. I'll give it a try.. hope it works..
This is the DL site right? "http://www.playragnarok.com/" Just trying to be sure..

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
Well, thanks for sticking in there with me. I'll give it a try.. hope it works..
This is the DL site right? "http://www.playragnarok.com/" Just trying to be sure..
Yep.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi
40oz. to freedom
Yep.

Thanks.
<3
U

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi

Probably not even going to bother with Ragnarok. I tried DLing and it just
says that it's been interrupted. Happened twice so w/e.. next game shall
be something else..

/edit: I tried one more time and it went through. Yay ^_^

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
be something else..
Alright. Sorry to hear that man. I wish I knew what the problem was. Good luck in your search, though.

Greedy Smoker

Takarashi
40oz. to freedom
be something else..
Alright. Sorry to hear that man. I wish I knew what the problem was. Good luck in your search, though.

Well what happened was my pop up blocker stopped a pop up from "gravity games" which has to do with ragnarok. So I looked in there and I had to accept that to run in order for the full instillation to run. it's going good now so.. I'll just need to do research before i play so I know a good beginner class ;P

Angelic Explorer

40oz. to freedom
Well what happened was my pop up blocker stopped a pop up from "gravity games" which has to do with ragnarok. So I looked in there and I had to accept that to run in order for the full instillation to run. it's going good now so.. I'll just need to do research before i play so I know a good beginner class ;P
Oh. xD

Good to hear you got it working, then. Again, I wish you luck with it. The forums might help to give you a better idea of what you'd want to play.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff