Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello. ◕ ◡ ◕

I'm brand new to the MMO world. I've been wanting to try out a MMO for a while now.
              However the only game I've played is WoW and that was years ago.
              I'd like to play an MMO but I have no idea where to start.
              There are so many different kinds out there so I have no idea what to try first or which ones are even good.

I'd like some advice on what MMO I should try out as a beginner and even some that I should try out once I'm better!
              Any will do... I need to test the waters of all different genres and game play, right? (∩_∩)

So if anyone would like to help a newbie out I would greatly appreciate it!

Invisible Regular

-xXsweetleafXx-
              Hello. ◕ ◡ ◕

I'm brand new to the MMO world. I've been wanting to try out a MMO for a while now.
              However the only game I've played is WoW and that was years ago.
              I'd like to play an MMO but I have no idea where to start.
              There are so many different kinds out there so I have no idea what to try first or which ones are even good.

I'd like some advice on what MMO I should try out as a beginner and even some that I should try out once I'm better!
              Any will do... I need to test the waters of all different genres and game play, right? (∩_∩)

So if anyone would like to help a newbie out I would greatly appreciate it!

If you're looking for an MMORPG, you can try ArcheAge. It's currently having closed beta events that can easily be invited to, just gotta sign up on their website. Open beta will be out as well.
A great thing about the game is there is no class restriction. You choose 3 skill trees at the start and if you dont like them, you dont have to create a new character to play others. You can eventually have a single character max out all the skill trees. You can also use any armor you want.
If you want to have a mage oriented class use tanky Plate Armor, go for it (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Gameplay wise, PvE is pretty straight forward as with any other MMO. Have a wide arrange of crafting and such. The PvP system has a SAO and Log Horizon feel, it has orange and red players.
If you're interested, just read more into it. I'll also play if you decide to get it (ฅ'ω'ฅ)♪
xYAMAM0T0x
If you're looking for an MMORPG, you can try ArcheAge. It's currently having closed beta events that can easily be invited to, just gotta sign up on their website. Open beta will be out as well.
A great thing about the game is there is no class restriction. You choose 3 skill trees at the start and if you dont like them, you dont have to create a new character to play others. You can eventually have a single character max out all the skill trees. You can also use any armor you want.
If you want to have a mage oriented class use tanky Plate Armor, go for it (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Gameplay wise, PvE is pretty straight forward as with any other MMO. Have a wide arrange of crafting and such. The PvP system has a SAO and Log Horizon feel, it has orange and red players.
If you're interested, just read more into it. I'll also play if you decide to get it (ฅ'ω'ฅ)♪

Sounds like a great game to start with! ⊙ω⊙

I'll definitely have to check it out!
              It seems like it'll be a great experience especially if it's like SAO and Log Horizon hehe
              SAO is one of the reasons that I want to get into MMO
              That and I've always been drawn to animes and manga like them (-`ω´- )

I'm going to look into it and let you know if I start playing!
              Thanks so much ( ゝω)
All I have to say is pick one and jump right into it
don't look at peoples opinions
don't look at how to play (ability rotation and all that until you're the highest level and need to know your rotation then)

Just literally go into any game, blind, and play it
you may end up liking your experience :)
if not, move onto the next one and try again♥
Powerghostchiptunes
don't look at how to play (ability rotation and all that until you're the highest level and need to know your rotation then)

Thanks! :3

I've tried one game so far since last night
            Don't really know how I feel about it (Dragons Nest)
            But I'm thinking of trying a few more too so see what kinds I like hehe

Thank you for the advice! ^-^
-xXsweetleafXx-
Powerghostchiptunes

Thanks! :3

I've tried one game so far since last night
            Don't really know how I feel about it (Dragons Nest)
            But I'm thinking of trying a few more too so see what kinds I like hehe

Thank you for the advice! ^-^

I haven't tried that one before surprised

I've played Elsword (side scrolling mmo type of thing)
and I think it's REALLY cool
it takes a little to get into but once you get the controls down, you'll have a blast :)

but you're welcome and good luck! :)
Powerghostchiptunes

it takes a little to get into but once you get the controls down, you'll have a blast :)

It's pretty good so far, but the controls are confusing me haha
            But then again I just started so it should XD

Thanks a million! (again) :3

Feral Protector

12,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
To be truely immersed in the experience... Pick a non instanced game. Also Archeage is garbage, I'd stray from it. The only interesting thing is its class system. It'd be a waste of time to try and defend the statement too, its been out for a year in korea and it feels like stale toast... It literally took a step back in the genre.

You need to think what kind of game you wanna play too. If you are into the Anime style games, Nothing wrong with Eden Eternal (Which I stopped playing a long while back because I developed a new taste) and LaTale is finally picking up speed again so its a oldie but goodie (Considering you could go maplestory, but you'll pay far out the a** if you wish to be like the others who have done the same or farm for life. Latale has nearly everything tradeable soooooo yeah it wins, community is nice as ******** to top it off with active gm's).

Tera Rising is pretty great, bunch of dicks in the PVP servers, still fun. Marvel Heroes if your into superheroes and diabloesk things.

Defiance if you wanna shoot things and still loot stuff (I found it fun for a good bit).

Spiral knights if your into mindless dungeons.

There's a whole world.. err.. worlds for you to explore.

Try mmohuts.com, mmobomb.com, mmorpg.com stuff like that. Before you download check out some gameplay videos, not just the videos they make themselves... Like literal gameplay. Sometimes its all hype.
kingliger
To be truely immersed in the experience... Pick a non instanced game. Also Archeage is garbage, I'd stray from it. The only interesting thing is its class system. It'd be a waste of time to try and defend the statement too, its been out for a year in korea and it feels like stale toast... It literally took a step back in the genre.

You need to think what kind of game you wanna play too. If you are into the Anime style games, Nothing wrong with Eden Eternal (Which I stopped playing a long while back because I developed a new taste) and LaTale is finally picking up speed again so its a oldie but goodie (Considering you could go maplestory, but you'll pay far out the a** if you wish to be like the others who have done the same or farm for life. Latale has nearly everything tradeable soooooo yeah it wins, community is nice as ******** to top it off with active gm's).

Tera Rising is pretty great, bunch of dicks in the PVP servers, still fun. Marvel Heroes if your into superheroes and diabloesk things.

Defiance if you wanna shoot things and still loot stuff (I found it fun for a good bit).

Spiral knights if your into mindless dungeons.

There's a whole world.. err.. worlds for you to explore.

Try mmohuts.com, mmobomb.com, mmorpg.com stuff like that. Before you download check out some gameplay videos, not just the videos they make themselves... Like literal gameplay. Sometimes its all hype.

Oh wow~
              That's lots of great information!

I'll definitely watch videos on all the different games I want to play.
              I've tried mmorpg.com to look for games, I'll check out the other sites as well!

I want to try Tera Rising I'm trying to download it. (Hope it's compatible with my computer)
              I gotta wait till it tries to finish downloading first haha

I'm gonna check out all the games just to see if they're something that I want to play

Most of my other games on other consoles are like dungeons and mission based

Thanks for the advice! I'll continue to look around to see what kind of game style and game play I like ◕ ◡ ◕
-xXsweetleafXx-
Powerghostchiptunes

It's pretty good so far, but the controls are confusing me haha
            But then again I just started so it should XD

Thanks a million! (again) :3

You're welcome :)
I don't know everything about it so I can't be of too much help
but good luck on your adventure :)
Powerghostchiptunes

You're welcome :)
I don't know everything about it so I can't be of too much help
but good luck on your adventure :)

It's totally fine no worries! :3

Thankies ╭♥

Invisible Lover

I'd like to second the recommendation to try out ArcheAge. Having just participated quite enthusiastically in their most recent Beta, from Aug. 22nd to the 27th - I can personally state that it was quite a fun MMO.

I've played quite a few MMO's - and, when you get to the core of it, they're basically all the same. The only difference is how much stylish differences they have, from game to game, that matches what you look for in a game, in general. Join a Clan/Guild and be active and participate, and no matter the game - You'll have fun.

MMO's aren't particularly about the game, itself, but about the communities that are built within them smile

Lonely Explorer

If servers are still up, which I'm sure they are, I would go with IRO or Ragnarok online.
This is a iso view much like Diablo but it works as a mmo.
I find that it's a easy to pick up game of that view point is to your liking.

As for the typical over the shoulder style MMORPG, Starwars TOR wouldn't be too bad of a game to try if you are into the lore. The quest system is better than most and honestly I just play it for the story. The instances are too bad as well for a free mmo, but it does lack in the big open world feel. Lots of hubs like the old KoToR games.
There are two MMOs I would recommend for beginners.

World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

World of Warcraft was originally developed to be a lot more "casual-friendly" than its industry predecessor, Everquest -- and, in that regard, it very much succeeded. However, the game is definitely gated behind its expansions. The Starter Set includes the original game up to its third expansion, Cataclysm, for about 19.99 USD, and the most recent expansion, Mists of Pandaria, is (I think) relatively cheap. Don't quote me on that, though. The game is pretty easy to pick up and play, and the leveling process will help you learn how to play your chosen class(es).

The only major downside to World of Warcraft is an infamously volatile community, amplified by the inclusion of several dungeon and raid queuing tools. Finding a community/guild/consistent group to join during your time on WoW is highly recommended and, in fact, preferred instead of going it solo -- though the Cataclysm expansion pretty much made it so that leveling solo is fast enough.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is probably a lot more "newbie-friendly" than World of Warcraft, but that's mostly left to personal opinion. FFXIV: ARR is the re-release of Final Fantasy XIV, made necessary by the very negative attention the original game received upon release for being a completely un-intuitive player-unfriendly experience marred by serious performance and interface issues. Technical talk aside, A Realm Reborn succeeded in delivering a true MMO experience on its re-release in August, 2013 (so the game has just hit a year old; in fact, its anniversary events are going on right now). The game has a main storyline that you can follow through, and every system the game has is explained through playing through the main story. The game's biggest feature is the "armoury system," which essentially allows you to play as any class / job following their unlocked and the acquisition of the appropriate Job soul gems.

Final Fantasy XIV has a better community, overall, but are missing some quality of life features -- some of them are due for release pretty soon in a content patch. However, like World of Warcraft, dungeon queues are also victim to a fairly hostile community. It's difficult to tell in the game who is new and who is not, because a single character can play as all of the game's classes if they unlocked them; so for a majority of dungeons, a lot of veteran players will be assuming that their party members know what they're doing and will react negatively when someone doesn't.

World of Warcraft's Battle Chest, which includes everything up to Cataclysm, is 19.99 USD. Mists of Pandaria is (last time I checked) on sale for 9.99 USD.
Subscription costs 14.99 USD per month.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn costs 24,99 USD and is available on Steam.
Subscription for an ARR "Basic" account (only allowed to create one character on eight different servers) is 12.99 USD (anyone can correct me).
A full subscription costs 14.99 USD per month.
Gunnerblaster
I'd like to second the recommendation to try out ArcheAge. Having just participated quite enthusiastically in their most recent Beta, from Aug. 22nd to the 27th - I can personally state that it was quite a fun MMO.

I've played quite a few MMO's - and, when you get to the core of it, they're basically all the same. The only difference is how much stylish differences they have, from game to game, that matches what you look for in a game, in general. Join a Clan/Guild and be active and participate, and no matter the game - You'll have fun.

MMO's aren't particularly about the game, itself, but about the communities that are built within them smile

I want to try out ArcheAge just for the experience (∩_∩)

I got it ^-^
            MMO's are pretty much like other online games on any other consoles hehe
            Communities definitely make the game much better and enjoyable (-`ω´- )

Thanks for the info!

Moonlight Agony
If servers are still up, which I'm sure they are, I would go with IRO or Ragnarok online.
This is a iso view much like Diablo but it works as a mmo.
I find that it's a easy to pick up game of that view point is to your liking.

As for the typical over the shoulder style MMORPG, Starwars TOR wouldn't be too bad of a game to try if you are into the lore. The quest system is better than most and honestly I just play it for the story. The instances are too bad as well for a free mmo, but it does lack in the big open world feel. Lots of hubs like the old KoToR games.

I've tired downloading Ragnarok onto my computer
            But for some odd reason it doesn't pull up the game
            I'll try downloading a patch to see if that helps 。◕‿◕。

Starwars TOR sounds like something I could get into.
            And if you play for the story that's a plus for me!
            I like games with a good storyline
            Even if it lacks a big open world option I think that it should still be good to check out :D

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

CaptainFishSticks
There are two MMOs I would recommend for beginners.

World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

World of Warcraft was originally developed to be a lot more "casual-friendly" than its industry predecessor, Everquest -- and, in that regard, it very much succeeded. However, the game is definitely gated behind its expansions. The Starter Set includes the original game up to its third expansion, Cataclysm, for about 19.99 USD, and the most recent expansion, Mists of Pandaria, is (I think) relatively cheap. Don't quote me on that, though. The game is pretty easy to pick up and play, and the leveling process will help you learn how to play your chosen class(es).

The only major downside to World of Warcraft is an infamously volatile community, amplified by the inclusion of several dungeon and raid queuing tools. Finding a community/guild/consistent group to join during your time on WoW is highly recommended and, in fact, preferred instead of going it solo -- though the Cataclysm expansion pretty much made it so that leveling solo is fast enough.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is probably a lot more "newbie-friendly" than World of Warcraft, but that's mostly left to personal opinion. FFXIV: ARR is the re-release of Final Fantasy XIV, made necessary by the very negative attention the original game received upon release for being a completely un-intuitive player-unfriendly experience marred by serious performance and interface issues. Technical talk aside, A Realm Reborn succeeded in delivering a true MMO experience on its re-release in August, 2013 (so the game has just hit a year old; in fact, its anniversary events are going on right now). The game has a main storyline that you can follow through, and every system the game has is explained through playing through the main story. The game's biggest feature is the "armoury system," which essentially allows you to play as any class / job following their unlocked and the acquisition of the appropriate Job soul gems.

Final Fantasy XIV has a better community, overall, but are missing some quality of life features -- some of them are due for release pretty soon in a content patch. However, like World of Warcraft, dungeon queues are also victim to a fairly hostile community. It's difficult to tell in the game who is new and who is not, because a single character can play as all of the game's classes if they unlocked them; so for a majority of dungeons, a lot of veteran players will be assuming that their party members know what they're doing and will react negatively when someone doesn't.

World of Warcraft's Battle Chest, which includes everything up to Cataclysm, is 19.99 USD. Mists of Pandaria is (last time I checked) on sale for 9.99 USD.
Subscription costs 14.99 USD per month.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn costs 24,99 USD and is available on Steam.
Subscription for an ARR "Basic" account (only allowed to create one character on eight different servers) is 12.99 USD (anyone can correct me).
A full subscription costs 14.99 USD per month.

Ah, I've tired out World of Warcraft before but that was like when it first came out.
            I was into it for a while but then we had to get rid of the computer haha
            So I haven't played it since. ಠ_ಠ

I've seen Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn around on a few websites searching for some games to try out
            It looked interesting, however I'm broke right now ._.
            And I love playing Final Fantasy games on the Playstation so I'm going to have to download it once I get some extra cash ◕ ◡ ◕

Thank you a lot of the in depth information on both games, I really do appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff