Welcome to Gaia! ::

If so, how do you make it work? Is it a playstyle that's generally seen as underpowered?

For me, I play several unusual builds, but the one I play most is battle professor. This one's probably not so unusual anymore because people are finally starting to recognize its use. It's very much a solo build, and I find that it's good for everything from MVPing to farming to tanking. I've even gotten some kills in PVP with it, although I don't PVP a whole lot. For those who don't know, it's a build that utilizes agility for flee and attack speed, vitality and int, and for alternative builds, strength and luck. It depends on the player having married a soul linker with level 7 Kaahi and Sage Spirit.

Something else I want to try out is a crit gypsy. Has anyone ever done that?
Sweet Jesus, a post on the RO forum that isn't a total waste of time!

I've got a battle Professor/Scholar myself. He's all Int/Agi and relies on Hindsight. Unfortunately I don't have the guts to go for a "true" battle build - if I did I'd probably do something crazy like a Str/Luk crit build with a Dagger of Counter.

As far as other characters... Mine used to be considered unusual before the Renewal changes and the balance patch (I play on iRO.) Now they're not so unique anymore, which sort of bums me out.

- A Warg Ranger with 120 Agi (who got to level 150 when Int/Dex trapper Rangers were the norm)
- Two battle Arch Bishops (one a Str/Luk powerhouse and the other an Agi/Dex speedster)
- An Agi combo Sura (who doesn't even have G-fist, lolololollll)

Needless to say, these characters have always been solo, because nobody wants to party them. The road of leveling a unique character is definitely a lonely one! I've had a good time though; I especially find that my characters are able to level in a greater variety of places and aren't as dependent on parties as "proper" builds. People give me blank stares when I tell them that my Ranger 150ed by routinely doing Thor's dungeon by himself. xD

Lightbringer

While not exactly unique, I've always done equip Critsins with little to no vitality, instead just shoving all my points in AGI and whatnot. Why? I'm of the belief that if I'm getting hit then I'm probably going to be dead within the next few seconds anyway. I'd rather that extra bit of AGI for dodging and attack speed versus a few more hit points.
Tris_Skyshadow
I've got a battle Professor/Scholar myself. He's all Int/Agi and relies on Hindsight. Unfortunately I don't have the guts to go for a "true" battle build - if I did I'd probably do something crazy like a Str/Luk crit build with a Dagger of Counter.

Very fun with a Giant Encyclopedia [2]! (Item ID #1564) Tried it myself. 3nodding

Seeker

I love Bowling Bash Knights, even though they're a lot weaker than Spear Knights. And I never ride a Peco. xd
dagger sniper smile ) expensive item needed to make it strong..

dagger with thana smile ) BANG!
stixfaido
dagger sniper smile ) expensive item needed to make it strong..

dagger with thana smile ) BANG!

I heard about people trolling PVP like that, which sounds hilarious to me.

Callabryn
I love Bowling Bash Knights, even though they're a lot weaker than Spear Knights. And I never ride a Peco. xd

I find spear knights hard to play due to the lack of skill points you get... Bowling bash is my favorite build.
I've had some unusual character builds since iRO's dawn.

My oldest character is a 99/70 balance sniper (high falcon dmg, high crit rate, high bow dmg) who was an expert in taking down high def monsters. I remember watching sissy AGI / DEX hunters doing like 30 dmg per arrow and trying to flee from Rybios before they died to their Sonic Blows. Then my character killed the monsters with just a couple of auto Blitz Beats and crits. They were the same people who used to make fun of my "useless" hunter who had "lol 122 aspd". Then came renewal and ruined Focused Arrow Strike with the ridiculously long cast time. Sigh.

I also have a battle priest who is now an arch bishop. I'm not a fan of playing support characters. Back in the days people used to stop on their tracks to watch her beat up monsters as it used to be a very rare character build. I really like how a priest has heal and buffs to use at any time. I haven't had much motivation to level her after renewal, because of the exp/level gap and monster exp changes. Nameless Island was so much fun prior to renewal.

I've had a battle soul linker ever since the job class was implemented. What would be a better solo melee character than one with free auto heals and pretty much all elements to use easily. Waiting impatiently for a 3rd class for soul linkers that I could continue to with this one.

Hindsight scholar is a lot of fun with INT / AGI / VIT build. She owns in a lot of places, but keeping up a soul link is a bit tedious. The monsters die due to old age before my scholar can cast a bolt on them after the soul link ends (yay for low DEX). I kinda hate playing caster classes because I suck at it, so it was natural for me to make another melee character out of a sage. She's 99/70 but I haven't done the job change to sorcerer yet.

My new project is a STR / AGI / VIT BATTOL WIZZAAARRD using a Dagger of Counter, AAR and Quagmire for mobs. She's been on a hold for some time now because of my love to homunculus training (7 alchemist class characters and counting).
Playstyle? what's that? i've always just chosen something interesting to do and equally divided all my stats... mabye that's why I create a new character everyday. xp
Also, what kinds of cards make your playstyles work?
Lets see...I usually solo, so I have a little off-balance hunter with more skill points in DEX and AGI and little vitality. It also has some INT so I can spam the Double Strafe skill as much as I want. Couple that with a rudolf hairband and a lot of carrots and it's happy grinding thanks to my Arrow Crafting skill. As for cards, I used one to get a Rationing Belt and the rest at of the Hunter Set.

I also have a gunslinger that is a little more balanced with more INT and AGI. To be honest, he is leaning more toward a gatling gun build. Lets see...I managed to get a lot of new guns and cards, so the Cyclone I picked up in the Tatami Maze now has two Andre cards, the Destroyer now has a Mummy card, the Drifter and Butcher have a Snake Card and an Archer Skeleton Card respectively, and another Cyclone I have has a Snake Card.

I also have a Shield Boomerang Crusader that can also use Heal vial heal skill and Muscipular Card

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea My characters aren't very unique anymore, but I used to have an AGI dancer/gypsy when such a thing wasn't so popular for PvM. Having high Flee really helped save on potions, which was great because even if I'd dumped all my points into VIT her HP pool wouldn't have been very high, and monsters could just chew through it fairly quickly. I leveled her from 1 to 99 as a dancer wearing a Cotton Shirt of Champion, lol. Now that she's a Wanderer, her defensive stat is still AGI, but that is pretty common these days from what I understand. Well, for those people who still play Wanderers. I think most people have given up on the class, which makes having one at all kind of unique.

Pre-RE, I dumped a lot of points into VIT on my FS Priests so that they would have a bigger HP pool and could survive party wipes long enough to res everyone; I also took Angelus 10 to compliment that, because more Def is more Def, who cares if it's soft? A lot of people tend to disregard Angelus as a "useless" skill, but I've been in situations where it has literally saved my bacon by shaving off a few points of damage, leaving me with just enough HP to quickly heal up and get back into the action.

I have a hybrid dagger/katar sin, made entirely by accident. My dad used to share the account with my sister and I, and he was playing her thief one day and mistook it for a swordy. He...dumped a lot of points in places where they shouldn't go. It all worked out in the end, though, as we later found that as a 'sin she could switch around her equipment so that she could be effective on any field with relatively cheapass gear. She works so well that even after my dad and sister quit, even after renewal, I never remade her or reset her stats.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

6,450 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lexima
If so, how do you make it work? Is it a playstyle that's generally seen as underpowered?

For me, I play several unusual builds, but the one I play most is battle professor. This one's probably not so unusual anymore because people are finally starting to recognize its use. It's very much a solo build, and I find that it's good for everything from MVPing to farming to tanking. I've even gotten some kills in PVP with it, although I don't PVP a whole lot. For those who don't know, it's a build that utilizes agility for flee and attack speed, vitality and int, and for alternative builds, strength and luck. It depends on the player having married a soul linker with level 7 Kaahi and Sage Spirit.

--

Hmm, actually my first character was a battle acolyte. Then again, maybe that might be normal for monk builds. xD

I find that on mid to high rate servers, it can be plenty of fun playing battle sages.

It would probably be a pain to do on iRO, though, so I usually stick to PvM builds on there since I'm poor.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Kouki Elska
Lexima

--

Hmm, actually my first character was a battle acolyte. Then again, maybe that might be normal for monk builds. xD

I find that on mid to high rate servers, it can be plenty of fun playing battle sages.

It would probably be a pain to do on iRO, though, so I usually stick to PvM builds on there since I'm poor.

yum_tea Battle sages/scholars/sorcerers are pretty easy on iRO these days. I don't know why more people don't play them. There's plenty of great auto-cast gear that can work alongside Hindsight to help keep you on your feet or bust through tough enemies. Magic Rabbit hat, zodiac headgears, loli ruri card, enchanted peach tree card...it's all great fun. I had a AGI/INT/STR battle sorcerer on Yggdrasil when it was still the renewal test server, and she could chew through monsters like crazy.
Not sure what's considered unusual now days, but I mainly stuck to Sins. I enjoy skills like sand attack and throw venom knife, which I see a few others do every now and then, but I think DD sins are the norm now.

Depending on what you guys say as to if it's unusual or not, I'll elaborate more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff