Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Explorer

Hey guys, I've been kind of getting down due to winter blues and I thought I might as well finally set off and do my dream since I started MMOs; Become an extreme in-game roleplayer, make lots of friends, join a guild, eventually make a guild, become famous and have lots of fun.

What I'm looking for in an MMORPG is;

-3D graphics.
-Pretty good character customization, I want to feel like my character is actually somewhat unique.
-Maybe some realtime action elements like Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE or even Vindictus? Though I really liked Atlantica's turn-based system.
-A strong roleplaying community or hopefully even a roleplay server?!
-A good graphical atmosphere; I want to feel like sitting around and looking at the sky or the flowers is worth it instead of fighting, if that is what I choose.
What I am NOT looking for in an MMORPG is;
-Female character designs with really, really awful, revealing, slutty armor-- unless the game sports the same treatment to male characters in visual design.
-Cash shops of any kind. Ones that get you mounts, ones that give you EXP+ items, ones that get your character to be prettier in clothing or hairstyle or body modifications. No. No Cash Shops. I just said I'm willing to Pay To Play, so if this is too much to ask, I'm eternally disappointed.
What I don't mind in an MMORPG;
-Being outdated.
-The implementation of PKing(Player-Killing), though I'd prefer that people settled things in an Arena or something instead.

P.S.; I really love Final Fantasy XI, FFXIV, and FFXIV:ARR, but I can't play them due to various reasons right now that I don't think is nessesary to indulge.
Not interested in WoW either, folks.

EDIT: Should note that I would prefer the game to be on PC. I /do/ have an XBOX 360 but I've never played online before..

Thank you for your help!
Unfortunately I don't have a very positive impression of any other P2P MMOs currently on the market...

It's B2P, but it sounds like Guild Wars 2 might be worth a look.

- The graphics are high quality and decently optimized. Scenery is lovely and the grass rustles when you walk through it o___o
- The game features an excellent armor dyeing system. Character customization depth varies depending on what race you choose (some races have more options than others) - tons of skin/hair/eye colors to choose from, though. You can choose body shape, though the diversity also varies depending on race. The face has a slider system to tweak your facial proportions although it's not as versatile as Aion's character creation (this means you won't see any really hideous joke characters, though.)
- Combat is definitely more on the action/movement-based side, although it still uses traditional MMO controls.
- There's a very active RP community. Tarnished Coast is the unofficial RP server.
- Although you need to choose a home server to represent for faction PvP, you can temporarily transfer to any server (up to 2 servers per 24 hours) to play with friends.

- In terms of armor design, female armor is quite diverse and ranges from totally covered to quite revealing. Same with male armor. You can also reskin your armor if you don't like the appearance but want to keep the stats.
- Technically GW2 has a cash shop (what game doesn't, these days...). However it's not pay to win, and you can buy the cash shop currency using in-game gold. Several of the bread and butter cash shop items are also obtainable ingame as drops or from repeatable achievements.

- There is no PKing. Open world is strictly PvE, but there are designated places for arena PvP and large-scale faction PvP.

- - - -- ---

Sparkly Explorer

Thank you for this information! Guild Wars 2 was the first MMO I checked out before posting this thread, but then I saw it had the cash shop and got really disappointed.. It's really refreshing to hear that you can get everything in-game! A lot of cash shop items in IMAGINE are limited editions so even if you bought the items from the players, you'd have to pay almost an unfathomable amount..

.. You mean Buy to Play? That's amazing, no monthly fees? It still seems a little shady, I wish there was a trial or at least benchmark to check out.

Thank you for this info though, it's on top of my list, it looks really gorgeous.
Yup, buy to play. One time payment. It's actually the same format as the original Guild Wars, except GW featured standalone expansions whereas GW2 is slowly rolling out "live" storyline content over time. (The downside to this is often if you miss a phase of the story, it's gone the next month and you can't go back to that content. No info on whether they will eventually add a feature to let you play missed content.)

The cash (gems) to in-game gold ratio actually isn't that bad, to the point that 19 times out of 20 I'll prefer to earn the gold in-game rather than spending real money, because it just seems like a waste. Gold is pretty easy to earn if you're willing to maintain a daily routine of gathering resource nodes and running a few dungeons, or if you're interested in playing the trading post. The trading post is similar to the markets of EVE online - you can (and should) place buy orders. Actually, the whole gold->gems system is pretty similar to EVE online's PLEX, which has been going on strong for 10 years. There's apparently enough people who buy with rl money for this model to work, though. GW2 is pretty casual friendly so you've got the older players with jobs and stuff. Playerbase is fairly mature, too.

I say casual, because once you hit lvl 80 that's pretty much it - you have access to everything, and there isn't a time consuming gear treadmill like you'd find in WoW or FFXIV. Additional in-game goals come in the form of rare item skins and achievement hunting. Not unlike Gaia avatars!

GW2 was on sale during black friday for pretty cheap :'c I'm on the fence about the future of the game (whether the live storyline will be successful, whether there is enough endgame) but I'd say it's definitely more than worth the one time investment, especially when compared to singleplayer RPGs.

(also, GW2 does have a main storyline separate from the live storyline, that you play through as you level up.)

- - - -- ---

Man-Hungry Werewolf

12,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
GW2 is not what he's looking for. He has specified he does not want item malls, and a lot of the examples he gave are part of the item mall like experience boosts.

Did you know there's only 14 Subscription Based MMOs left?

There's AC 1/2 (same subscription for both), WoW, Eve Online, FFXI, FFXIV, And about 9 others I haven't bothered to check.
There are games that offer optional subscriptions, and they've found that when games offer that instead of mandatory subscription they gain three times the amount of people paying for subscriptions.

But yes, I think you might like FFXIV. You say outdated is ok, but I showed a friend a video of Asheron's Call and he responded with "Those graphics would be bad in 1999." (The year it was released.)

Pumpkin

There aren't many MMOs that don't have cash shops nowadays. I think even WoW added one in recently...

As far as I know, either of the FF MMOs (Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV) don't have them. I'm not very familiar with either game (yet, in XIV's case) though I know FFXIV has more 'traditional' MMO combat rather than something action or turn based. Still, I hear it's an excellent game.
Gammadex
GW2 is not what he's looking for. He has specified he does not want item malls, and a lot of the examples he gave are part of the item mall like experience boosts.

Did you know there's only 14 Subscription Based MMOs left?

There's AC 1/2 (same subscription for both), WoW, Eve Online, FFXI, FFXIV, And about 9 others I haven't bothered to check.
There are games that offer optional subscriptions, and they've found that when games offer that instead of mandatory subscription they gain three times the amount of people paying for subscriptions.

But yes, I think you might like FFXIV. You say outdated is ok, but I showed a friend a video of Asheron's Call and he responded with "Those graphics would be bad in 1999." (The year it was released.)

are you stupid?
pretty sure he doesn't want FFXIV either

Man-Hungry Werewolf

12,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Robot Cell

are you stupid?
Quote:
What I'm looking for in an MMORPG is;
-3D graphics.
-Pretty good character customization, I want to feel like my character is actually somewhat unique.
-Maybe some realtime action elements like Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE or even Vindictus? Though I really liked Atlantica's turn-based system.
-A strong roleplaying community or hopefully even a roleplay server?!
-A good graphical atmosphere; I want to feel like sitting around and looking at the sky or the flowers is worth it instead of fighting, if that is what I choose.
What I am NOT looking for in an MMORPG is;
-Female character designs with really, really awful, revealing, slutty armor-- unless the game sports the same treatment to male characters in visual design.
-Cash shops of any kind. Ones that get you mounts, ones that give you EXP+ items, ones that get your character to be prettier in clothing or hairstyle or body modifications. No. No Cash Shops. I just said I'm willing to Pay To Play, so if this is too much to ask, I'm eternally disappointed.
3D graphics. Check
Character Customization. Check.
Atmosphere: Check

No Skanky Women: Check. There are just as skanky men in FFXIV, and it is neither the commonplace like Tera.
Cash Shops: No Cash shops. Unlike WoW, Unlike GW2, Unlike Neverwinter, unlike so many that have resorted to free to play.

So really, Being able to comprehend what a person is asking for and giving them a suggestion that you may not like but they perhaps will is not stupid. Spitting ignorant blather because "Ew. I don't like the game I've never played." is inappropriate.

Edit1: And he did NOT ask for "endgame" which if that's all you care about, go play WoW.

Sparkly Explorer

Gammadex
Robot Cell
are you stupid?

You shouldn't call people stupid, but;
Imai Ibuki
P.S.; I really love Final Fantasy XI, FFXIV, and FFXIV:ARR, but I can't play them due to various reasons right now that I don't think is nessesary to indulge.

This was already in the post before Gammadex posted. I do wish there were more MMOs that had the same morals as Final Fantasy XIV:ARR though, I really love what the director has done with it, but since he remade the game, it's a really high standard to live up to for any other MMO right now, and I apologize for that.

Man-Hungry Werewolf

12,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
When I see large amounts of text, I tend to skim. My apologies. I thought I had read the whole thing.
Also, when I made the response, I'm in my sleep deprived stage of my 36 hour day. I have no excuse for the original post though.
Gammadex
When I see large amounts of text, I tend to skim. My apologies. I thought I had read the whole thing.
Also, when I made the response, I'm in my sleep deprived stage of my 36 hour day. I have no excuse for the original post though.

sorry. i thought you were just being a legit stupid head or just trying to be a d**k by convincing op that he should reconsider ffXIV. Didn't know you skimmed through things and was sleep deprived

Sparkly Explorer

Gammadex

No problem dude! I've been through the same sort of thing plenty of times.
Robot Cell
sorry. i thought you were just being a legit stupid head or just trying to be a d**k by convincing op that he should reconsider ffXIV. Didn't know you skimmed through things and was sleep deprived

Try to assume the best in people!

Pumpkin

My bad for suggesting the FF MMOs too then, whoops. *feels like a bit of a dumbass, haha*

I wish I could help more but I honestly don't think there's much out there without a cash shop these days. But it's hard for me to know for sure as I don't really follow that side of MMO gaming as much nowadays.

I know Ultima Online still runs on a P2P model but I have no clue if that game has a cash shop. There's also Dark Age of Camelot and Darkfall... I don't know how well either of those games satisfy your requirements though as I've never tried them.

You could give Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar a try when they come out, possibly?

Ryzom is a fairly obscure MMO that... I unfortunately don't know much about. It looks really unique though, and I don't think it has any sort of cash shop...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff