Welcome to Gaia! ::

Michael Jackson was:

NOT AN ARTIST 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 18 ]
A musician 0.7037037037037 70.4% [ 95 ]
A giraffe 0.16296296296296 16.3% [ 22 ]
Total Votes:[ 135 ]
1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 >

Leaf

He was this: a musician, singer, composer, writer, actor, entertainer.
He was not an artist because he did not paint anything. He did not manifest his inner self in 2-d media so that it could be hung on a wall. Artist, paint.
Yes! Music is an "art" form. But Michael Jackson did not make "art" he made music.
Do you understand these titles? They are very important to those in the arts.
You would not call Meryl Streep an artist, would you? No! Because she's an ACTRESS not an ARTIST! You wouldn't call John Lennon an artist because he was a MUSICIAN not an ARTIST! You wouldn't call Picasso a MUSICIAN or an ACTOR because he was an ARTIST. Do you understand?
Michael Jackson was not a talented artist, he was a talented musician. Artist is NOT a term which anyone who makes a living doing anything under the umbrella of ART falls under. They have their own umbrellas. Okay? Do we get it? Do we understand? Can we stop calling him an artist now?

I apologize for offending all of you. But understand what I have just done. I have become the better person until all of you acknowledge what I have done just now.

Great! Now go talk about how much you love him so I don't get banned.

Leaf

none of you care.
I decided to check on the definition of an artist to see if you were right.

Quote:
1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.

...Sorry. sweatdrop

Leaf

Kiba Shinzu

Quote:
1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.

...Sorry. sweatdrop
That
is full of all sorts of s**t.
where is this from.
I refuse to believe it.
I love how the English language tries so hard to make sure it includes everything in its definition. It might as well be self-defined.

Leaf

[Kasumiko]
I love how the English language tries so hard to make sure it includes everything in its definition. It might as well be self-defined.
It's seriously bullshit. if I were an actor, I would want to be called an actor. Not an artist.

I think it was someone in The Who, they were being interviewed and the interviewer went "you're such a talented artist." The guy cut him off and went "no, I'm a musician."
Millie Nao
Kiba Shinzu

Quote:

...Sorry. sweatdrop
That
is full of all sorts of s**t.
where is this from.
I refuse to believe it.

...Here are some definition sites.

http://www.answers.com/topic/artist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/artist

Here's Webster. Click Artiste next to the third given Definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/artist

Leaf

I'd be a hypocrite if I said semantics are stupid
but semantics are stupid.

8,300 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Merriam-Webster says:

Main Entry: art·ist
Pronunciation: ˈär-tist
Function: noun
Date: circa 1507

1 a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts b archaic : physician c archaic : artisan 1
2 a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts
3 : a skilled performer; especially : artiste
4 : one who is adept at something <con artist> <strikeout artist>

If I were an actress, I would want to be called an artist.
I personally believe artists speak to others through their work.
Therefore, poets are artists, painters are artists, musicians are artists, and there can even be culinary artists.
Millie Nao
He was not an artist because he did not paint anything. He did not manifest his inner self in 2-d media so that it could be hung on a wall. Artist, paint.
Yes! Music is an "art" form. But Michael Jackson did not make "art" he made music.
You would not call Meryl Streep an artist, would you? No! Because she's an ACTRESS not an ARTIST! You wouldn't call John Lennon an artist because he was a MUSICIAN not an ARTIST! You wouldn't call Picasso a MUSICIAN or an ACTOR because he was an ARTIST. Do you understand?
Michael Jackson was not a talented artist, he was a talented musician. Artist is NOT a term which anyone who makes a living doing anything under the umbrella of ART falls under. They have their own umbrellas. Okay? Do we get it? Do we understand? Can we stop calling him an artist now?

he was a music artist? idiot >.>

Leaf

I'm going to disagree. I readily admit it's for selfish reason as well.
aw well

Leaf

ftme
Millie Nao

he was a music artist? idiot >.>
lol wait to out smart me there
"Performing Artist" is a better description. because he IS an artist but not in the way people see art, poetry is an art form, and so is music. so I disagree but I also think that calling him an "artist" isn't exactly correct either.
Think of how pissed my teachers get when I call them artists; they like to break it down and say they are painters, drawers and sculptors. They say artist is just a way of saying, "I don't give a damn what you really are, I'm just going to generalize you."
Now now, must I beat you over the head with a dictionary?
...Not that I could, cause this is the internets, but still!!

lol sorry, but facts is facts, I can't change 'em.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff