Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Doom/Sludge/Stoner/Drone Thread

It's hard.

It's heavy.

And it's slow as hell.

Welcome to The Doom/Sludge/Stoner/Drone Thread.
We don't need another one of these.
Doom is definitely the most under-appreciated subgenre of heavy metal. Most people who call themselves metalheads would not have even heard of it. Those that have probably haven't delved much further than Candlemass or Saint Vitus.

How did you first get into the doom metal mood?

Funeral doom was my first. Those nauseatingly deep vocals, the stretched guitar lines, the surreal ambient effects. They blew my mind.

The first time I really fell in love with doom was when I bought AHAB's "The Call of The Wretched Sea". I had just made my purchase and was playing it in the car while I was waiting for my mum to come back. The ambient piece at the beginning was so amazing, then the sudden enormous blast of the guitars. I was hooked.

How about you?

Hygienic Humorist

That's a pretty diverse list to have for just one thread.

Needs Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Saint Vitus, and YOB.
Schwarz Spiegel

Where's the other one? I suppose I didn't expect it from Gaiaonline. ;D
Dukonnaire
Doom is definitely the most under-appreciated subgenre of heavy metal. Most people who call themselves metalheads would not have even heard of it. Those that have probably haven't delved much further than Candlemass or Saint Vitus.

How did you first get into the doom metal mood?

Funeral doom was my first. Those nauseatingly deep vocals, the stretched guitar lines, the surreal ambient effects. They blew my mind.

The first time I really fell in love with doom was when I bought AHAB's "The Call of The Wretched Sea". I had just made my purchase and was playing it in the car while I was waiting for my mum to come back. The ambient piece at the beginning was so amazing, then the sudden enormous blast of the guitars. I was hooked.

How about you?

Esoteric, for me.
Seer Misconception

Esoteric, for me.

Oh, definitely. You have "Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum", right? The beginning few minutes of "The Blood of the Eyes" is incredible.

It's the only doom I've found that I can comfortably call "epic". biggrin
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel

Eh, forget it. I'll go with the flow.

For me, I just wanted a thicker sound. I wanted the entire space around me to ooze with sound.

So I got into sludge, and recently stoner and drone.

Mastodon -> Baroness -> High on Fire -> Electric Wizard -> Boris.

The sound just got bigger and bigger.

Hygienic Humorist

I really got into doom when I forced myself to listen to nothing but Elaborations of Carbon for 3 days.
Dukonnaire
Seer Misconception

Esoteric, for me.

Oh, definitely. You have "Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum", right? The beginning few minutes of "The Blood of the Eyes" is incredible.

Actually I only have The Maniacal Vale. I'm about to go on a mass Funeral doom download spree.

Funeral Doom and Death Doom (When it's done right) are my favorite subgenres of Doom. Easily.
Schwarz Spiegel
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel

For me, I just wanted a thicker sound. I wanted the entire space around me to ooze with sound.

Yeah. "Bigger" is basically the best word you can come up with to describe the feelings. wink

Have you gotten much further than Boris?

Obviously you should also check out Sunn 0))), Nadja (if you like a fuzzy, noisedrone feel), Black Boned Angel, and Sunn 0)))'s members' sideprojects.

Oh, and Earth. The more recent albums are good, but they aren't drone. More "minimalist post-grunge.". ;D Try the first 2 albums.
Seer Misconception
Dukonnaire
Seer Misconception

Esoteric, for me.

Actually I only have The Maniacal Vale. I'm about to go on a mass Funeral doom download spree.

Funeral Doom and Death Doom (When it's done right) are my favorite subgenres of Doom. Easily.

Yeah? The furthest I tend to go in deathdoom is diSEMBOWELMENT. They were the first I heard and the basis on which I judged all other deathdoom.

Most other bands don't have that same "slow-motion-zombie" feel to them. That phrase doesn't even do them justice.

They just sound so... undead. Amirite?

Anyway. The aforementioned Esoteric is amazing. You'll love it.
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel

Yeah. "Bigger" is basically the best word you can come up with to describe the feelings. wink

Obviously you should also check out Sunn 0))), Nadja (if you like a fuzzy, noisedrone feel), Black Boned Angel, and Sunn 0)))'s members' sideprojects.

Oh, and Earth. The more recent albums are good, but they aren't drone. More "minimalist post-grunge.". ;D Try the first 2 albums.
As of now, I've plans to possibly foray into Sunn O))) after I've had some time with Boris and Electric Wizard's albums.

I'll see where I go from there, provided I can afford a sound system that can.. fully realize the sonic monoliths that are these bands.
Summoning the Rain
I really got into doom when I forced myself to listen to nothing but Elaborations of Carbon for 3 days.

Hmm. I haven't heard of it. Why did you force yourself to listen to it? Was it a determination to grow to like doom?
Schwarz Spiegel
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel
Dukonnaire
Schwarz Spiegel

As of now, I've plans to possibly foray into Sunn O))) after I've had some time with Boris and Electric Wizard's albums.

I'll see where I go from there, provided I can afford a sound system that can realize the sonic monoliths that are these bands.

Okay, here's a tip.

The best thing for listen to humongous drone metal is a pair of good headphones.

My father has a sound system that retails at about 40,000 dollars. He set it up so that everything was as perfect as possible. He listens to crisp jazz and classical.

I tried to play "The Grimm Robe Demos" by Sunn 0))) on it. The most famous dronedoom album in existance. It didn't do it justice. You can have the sound nearperfect (like my audiophile father), and Sunn 0))) will sound boring.

You need to have that music/eardrum proximity in order to really enjoy it.

Save your money. Get a pair of good headphones instead. †hat way you can have it as loud as you want and not disturb your neighbours or your savings account.

Either that, or go see them in concert.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces