Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Scarface

You're all forgetting one important, rare genre:

Volbeat Metal
Volbeat is a metal band from Denmark who combines the unique stylings of Metallica, Social Distortion, Johnny Cash and Elvis into one unique, rare expression of metal. It's like an unusual twist of heavy metal, classic rock-n-roll and rockabilly. Their music, alone, is a genre all their own. Singer and guitarist Michael Poulsen had a death metal band prior to starting Volbeat. Said death metal band, Dominus, was his first band, and when he got sick and tired of the death metal music and the death metal scene, he broke up the band.

The styles he incorporates into each song is unique and never truly the same in each song. Michael is very talented--he writes all the music, makes the guitar riffs and what have you. He's a huge Elvis and Johnny Cash fan and uses them as big influences as seen in songs like "Sad Man's Tongue" or "Soulweeper" and "Soulweeper, Pt. 2". I highly recommend listening to Volbeat if you're looking for something DIFFERENT than the usual metal genres.

XDD Lol, just so everyone knows, I'm joking about them having their own genre. I just really love Volbeat and felt the need to SHOW IT OFF. Because they really are different in comparison to other metal bands. I'm really not sure WHERE they fit in the sub-genres of metal.
This isn't a good Newbie Guide.

Viking Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Gothic Metal and Folk Metal aren't useful introductions to Metal for any newcomer. They will only lead him astray into confusion and narrow his musical aptitude.

This guide should start from the background of Hard Rock (maybe even throwing in a sentence or two about how Psychedelic and Progressive things were in the 70s as surely this also had an influence on what Metal is today) and then describe why there was a transition from Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Blue Osyter Cult, The Who, etc. into what we now know as Heavy Metal and the NWOBHM scene.

From that Heavy Metal foundation you should then move onto the stylistic offshoots of whatever you want...though I would personally recommend an intense focus on Thrash Metal (and subsequently Death Metal), Black Metal and Doom Metal. Most of the genres in the first post are derivatives of those three big genres. The state of the newbie guide as it is now leaves the impression upon a newcomer that Folk Metal, for instance, isn't a highly stratified accumulation of many different styles that may or may not represent the style and aesthetics of what we know as "Metal".

The best way to approach Metal's ever-increasing amount of sub-genres is to actually address that diversity; subsequently, organizing that diversity in terms of the historical and cultural trends which led to that diversity in the first place is the best way to consolidate newcomers with the experience of the older generation of metalheads.

I believe that taking a serious and level-headed approach to Metal genres as I've briefly outlined here and paying special attention to the stylistic origins of each sub-genre (while also giving a brief historical view of where those styles originated from) can help internet dwellers to stop arguing over silly things.

Thank-you for your time.
It's also worth noting that genres aren't created by one band. Statements like "Death Metal was created by Possessed" should be rephrased as a newcomer should not be lulled into thinking that a genre of music is defined wholly by the band and minds that play them. This direct attribution of a genre to a band or musician makes the listener's musical pursuits less intersectional and in most case distracts the listener from the actual musical qualities of the band that has supposedly created this genre!

The kind of phrasing I've pointed out is unproductive and completely irrational.
You forgot hair metal xD nicely done thoe very accurate
Could you guys tell me the difference with black and death. I don't really know what the difference is

Timid Guest

12,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Bump yum_puddi
I think categorizing metal is so silly! metal is metal and that's all there is to it. If you go off of sub genera then you miss out on a lot of good bands that you might have liked otherwise. besides, there are some bands out there that are just too hard to categorize. Just enjoy the music smile

Hygienic Humorist

Balsamic Toothpaste
I think categorizing metal is so silly! metal is metal and that's all there is to it. If you go off of sub genera then you miss out on a lot of good bands that you might have liked otherwise. besides, there are some bands out there that are just too hard to categorize. Just enjoy the music smile

This is how people who don't know what they are talking about sound.
Luna Thoth
Balsamic Toothpaste

This is how people who don't know what they are talking about sound.

Lol you are a serious b***h but that's ok because i like you.

Seeker

4,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
please subscribe to Despised Virtue - "The Challenger" if you like screamo music and like their facebook page please and thank you

Seeker

4,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
please subscribe to Despised Virtue - "The Challenger" if you like screamo music and like their facebook page please and thank you
Avenged Sevenfold used to be Metalcore. Now they're just hard rock.

Distinct Seeker

5,300 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
What about Nu metal and Industrial metal? what are they and how did they get their starts?
Party Metal is pure awesomeness!
Waffle Metal

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas