Welcome to Gaia! ::

love_is_destructive
Avamp
love_is_destructive
Avamp
Do you think Prog was earlier than the 80's? I mean Queensryche sort of has a Deep Purple Influence.
Prog rock and prog metal aren't the same thing. Prog metal is much newer than prog rock.

Just an observation. It seems simmilar.
Well, of course there are similarities. They're both of the same progressive style, with a different kind of sound involved. Prog rock came first, and then it was applied to metal.
There isnt really a prog style its just catogerized as above average musicianship, Boundry pushing, concepts, and experimentation.
Alot of people who delve into prog dont really know what is the defineing lines in prog except that it has to be Rock. Most prog bands are only related duor to their rock basis. Most prog Metal is consdered Prog Rock because of rock similaritys, alot of bands are excluded though because they are way to metal for The rock similarity to stick. So in short Experimental rock with great muscianship = Prog.

I just felt like posting since its been a while since i said something. xp
wow is this helpful
I hate sub-genres.
Grim91Z
I hate sub-genres.
I bet you're one of those idiots that respond with "Good music" when asked "What kind of music do you listen to?" talk2hand
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z
I hate sub-genres.
I bet you're one of those idiots that respond with "Good music" when asked "What kind of music do you listen to?" talk2hand

I listen to good music.
Hand of Doom
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z
I hate sub-genres.

I listen to good music.
But you're not one who claims to hate sub-genres.
love_is_destructive
Hand of Doom
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z
I hate sub-genres.

I listen to good music.
But you're not one who claims to hate sub-genres.

lol, that is true
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z
I hate sub-genres.

If it sounds good to me, yes. I like to go by major genre (heavy/power metal, extreme metal, progressive rock, industrial/electronica). I get tired of all these sub-sub-sub-compact-mini-genres and whatnot. Get's way too damned confusing. And then you get people who argue over it. "No, it's vicking death metal." "How can it be? It's power black" "No no, it's gothic doom."
Grim91Z

If it sounds good to me, yes. I like to go by major genre (heavy/power metal, extreme metal, progressive rock, industrial/electronica). I get tired of all these sub-sub-sub-compact-mini-genres and whatnot. Get's way too damned confusing. And then you get people who argue over it. "No, it's vicking death metal." "How can it be? It's power black" "No no, it's gothic doom."
Heavy and power are two seperate entities, extreme metal doesn't even exist, and industrial and electronica are both different.
And if there's a real argument like that, it's more than likely just people trying to pathetically prove themselves, which isn't exactly commonplace among the regs here. You get idiots who think they know s**t about metal and come in saying something like "System of a Down is amazing death metal!" and that other kind of bullshit.
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z

Heavy and power are two seperate entities, extreme metal doesn't even exist, and industrial and electronica are both different.
And if there's a real argument like that, it's more than likely just people trying to pathetically prove themselves, which isn't exactly commonplace among the regs here. You get idiots who think they know s**t about metal and come in saying something like "System of a Down is amazing death metal!" and that other kind of bullshit.

That happens, too. But let them think what they want. I just think it's dumb how people argue what genre one band is (or was).
Grim91Z
love_is_destructive
Grim91Z

That happens, too. But let them think what they want. I just think it's dumb how people argue what genre one band is (or was).

it is dumb. Bands make music to how they fit...who are we to tell them they can't cross over genre lines to incorporate diffrent elements in their music.Genre are are there for convenience.I think some ppl(note some)just argue over genre just to make themselves seem they know alot about metal..and that it makes them a scholar or something like that.it is very annoying.

Blessed Hunter

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Which category would all of the newer metal groups fit in to?(Disturbed, As I Lay Dying, Korn,etc,)
Dark_Sama3173
Which category would all of the newer metal groups fit in to?(Disturbed, As I Lay Dying, Korn,etc,)

Disturbed and KoRn are nu-metal, and I don't know about As I Lay Dying. But neither Disturbed nor KoRn are metal.

Blessed Hunter

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Disturbed IS metal, and Korn won a grammy in the past for Best Metal Performance.
i hate tripod more than you do!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces