Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Explorer

Lumply
It's ******** irritating. It's all metal. And I really dislike the people who are all sub-genre obsessed. I mean, I can see why some of it is called death metal, thrash and black but then why all the other sub-genres. It's all ******** metal at the end of the day.
It's not like pop has sub-genres. Oh wait, metal superior to pop, never mind.
Sorry if I'm not making sense, under the influence.

And I agree on the punk metal. Hell no.

Yeah, but subgenres can help organize it into things that suck and things that don't. Like I don't want some shitty metalcore band coming up on me and being like "hey man, we're a metal band" (Miss May I being the band in question) . But if, say, the next Botch or something came up, I'd look at mathcore news, not just metal.

Wheezing Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Think Dirty Out Loud
Lumply
It's ******** irritating. It's all metal. And I really dislike the people who are all sub-genre obsessed. I mean, I can see why some of it is called death metal, thrash and black but then why all the other sub-genres. It's all ******** metal at the end of the day.

Yeah, but subgenres can help organize it into things that suck and things that don't. Like I don't want some shitty metalcore band coming up on me and being like "hey man, we're a metal band" (Miss May I being the band in question) . But if, say, the next Botch or something came up, I'd look at mathcore news, not just metal.

I think the whole 'core' thing should just be a separate genre all together because it is nothing like metal. I mean the only good core band are Rings of Saturn (imo) but the rest ******** suck balls.

Sparkly Prophet

Lumply
Think Dirty Out Loud
Lumply

I think the whole 'core' thing should just be a separate genre all together because it is nothing like metal. I mean the only good core band are Rings of Saturn (imo) but the rest ******** suck balls.
core is already separate those who say core is a subgenre of emtal or a bunch of dumb twats.

also i know of at least one pop subgenre
dreampop, alsi believe both k-pop and j-pop have a enough of a difference to fall under a subgenre but i may be wrong.

also metal does not have 40 plus subgenres. 10 would already be stretching it

Wheezing Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
mc satan
Lumply
Think Dirty Out Loud
Lumply

core is already separate those who say core is a subgenre of emtal or a bunch of dumb twats.

dreampop, alsi believe both k-pop and j-pop have a enough of a difference to fall under a subgenre but i may be wrong.

Ahaha, agreed. I don't think it's a subgenre of metal as it's so different from it. In a bad way.

I think k-pop and j-pop are the same as pop just in different languages. They're the same in my opinion. Never even heard of dreampop... but ok.

Agreed, but some little wankers keep making up new ones by bashing the names of already existing subgenres together (eg, technical melodic black death metal, as I once heard someone say!)

Liberal Streaker

3,950 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
mc satan
if this guy gives metal 41 subgenres i really want to know how many subgenres he gives edm
The phrase "over 9000" would actually be able to be used in a non joking manner if this guy ever tried that.

Liberal Streaker

3,950 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
mc satan
Lumply
Think Dirty Out Loud
Lumply

k-pop and j-pop can be easily be put under "synth pop" and "electropop" labels.

Eloquent Streaker

Lumply

Not every genre which gets called "metal" is actually such. I'm not going to even touch on the nu metal/alternative metal debate (they're both metal, just really shitty metal), but punk metal and country metal don't exist, pirate metal is just something Alestorm (power/folk metal) made up to describe themselves since every song they sing is about pirates (except for "Flower of Scotland" ), and metalcore is part of hardcore punk, NOT metal.

Wheezing Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Requiem in Mortis
Lumply

Not every genre which gets called "metal" is actually such. I'm not going to even touch on the nu metal/alternative metal debate (they're both metal, just really shitty metal), but punk metal and country metal don't exist, pirate metal is just something Alestorm (power/folk metal) made up to describe themselves since every song they sing is about pirates (except for "Flower of Scotland" ), and metalcore is part of hardcore punk, NOT metal.

Agreed.
Yeah, that's something else that pisses me off, when people say nu metal isn't metal. It is, but as you said, its s**t, haha.

Yeah, how can punk metal or country metal exist? They are two seperate genres!
However, this is where I get confused. Pirate metal could possibly be a genre one day if more pirate metal bands existed. For example, some people class viking metal as a genre now because there are more than 2 viking metal bands in existance.

So confusing.

Eloquent Streaker

Lumply
Requiem in Mortis
Lumply

Agreed.
Yeah, that's something else that pisses me off, when people say nu metal isn't metal. It is, but as you said, its s**t, haha.

However, this is where I get confused. Pirate metal could possibly be a genre one day if more pirate metal bands existed. For example, some people class viking metal as a genre now because there are more than 2 viking metal bands in existance.

So confusing.
Pirate metal and Viking metal aren't genres, though. They're just thematic elements within specific genres; pirate metal is just power/folk metal singing about pirates, and Viking metal is just black metal singing about Vikings (which means that anyone who calls Amon Amarth "Viking metal" simply for singing about Vikings is wrong). They don't make any significant changes to the sound of the genre, they just have very specific lyrical elements.

Tipsy Tipper

Metal/Punk is good Metal. You guys are ******** deaf.

Wheezing Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Requiem in Mortis
Lumply
Requiem in Mortis
Lumply

Agreed.

So confusing.
Pirate metal and Viking metal aren't genres, though. They're just thematic elements within specific genres; pirate metal is just power/folk metal singing about pirates, and Viking metal is just black metal singing about Vikings (which means that anyone who calls Amon Amarth "Viking metal" simply for singing about Vikings is wrong). They don't make any significant changes to the sound of the genre, they just have very specific lyrical elements.

Aha, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. smile

Fashionable Cat

Lumply
why bother recognizing separate letters it's all language
why bother recognizing viruses and kittens they're all lifeforms
why bother recognizing ores and plants they're all stuff from the ground
why bother recognizing the ground and the sky it's all stuff we can see

classification is not bad exclaim

Shirtless Seeker

TABLEWRECKER
Lumply
why bother recognizing separate letters it's all language
why bother recognizing viruses and kittens they're all lifeforms
why bother recognizing ores and plants they're all stuff from the ground
why bother recognizing the ground and the sky it's all stuff we can see

classification is not bad exclaim

naming - the mother of ten-thousand thigs

Smoker

DiabolusNaggers
Metal/Punk is good Metal. You guys are ******** deaf.

i think almost all crust punk i've listened to is good, so

Smoker

Lumply

pretty sure pop does have subgenres. if you realize that like all pop doesn't sound the same

i think most people that pay attention to metal agree that there's only like 7 or so actual subgenres, idc to remember

the rest are just some sort of mixture of them together or with other non-metal genres

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff