Welcome to Gaia! ::

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I listen to bands that don't have a set genre. So, I'm leaving it up to this forum to decide what genre the bands should fall under. Have fun!

maudlin of the well
The End of Science
Disillusion
Long Distance Calling

Versatile Explorer

Clover_IceQueen
I listen to bands that don't have a set genre. So, I'm leaving it up to this forum to decide what genre the bands should fall under. Have fun!

maudlin of the well
The End of Science
Disillusion
Long Distance Calling

Maybe post some links to songs? They may vary... and I may know these groups but don't feel like looking up videos.
maudlin of the Well is progressive metal.
The End of Science is post-rock/atmospheric sludge metal (post-metal for short, I guess).
Disillusion is also progressive metal (though they're geared toward melodic death metal, while motW is following more of an avant-prog tradition).
Long Distance Calling is another post-rock/atmospheric sludge metal band.

I am the master genre knower. Let no band go un-pigeonholed.

Perfect Member

props for motW, they're top-tier

haven't heard of the other ones so you should totally post linx
i don't even hate what ive heard from motw, which is weird considering; prog

to anyone who gets upset about genres etc, like ok good 4 U but knowing genres is a really helpful tool for music discussion. if i am talking about a wall noise band from the mid 00s and you are aware of what wall noise sounds like, then we can both be on the same page. dig?

Friendly Friend

I think one of the main points people shy away from genre is because they may feel they're paying too much attention to the details and not enough to the music

that or they can't stomach any kind of discussion or disagreement not laced with lacey-lace prettiness and fluffiness and s**t

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Doghouse Reilly
The End of Science is post-rock/atmospheric sludge metal (post-metal for short, I guess).
Disillusion is also progressive metal (though they're geared toward melodic death metal, while motW is following more of an avant-prog tradition).

Is there such a genre as astral metal? I saw it somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's made up or not.
Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly

Is there such a genre as astral metal? I saw it somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's made up or not.

I've never heard of it until now, but it sounds a little bit like bullshit. The problem is that fans and music journalists like to make up these micro-genres for the sake of pretending like they're at the forefront of some hip and unique scene.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Doghouse Reilly
Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly

I've never heard of it until now, but it sounds a little bit like bullshit. The problem is that fans and music journalists like to make up these micro-genres for the sake of pretending like they're at the forefront of some hip and unique scene.

That's a shame... Astral metal sounds my style. I like being spacey and out there a lot. We should make it a thing.

Invisible Gatekeeper

Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly
Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly

That's a shame... Astral metal sounds my style. I like being spacey and out there a lot. We should make it a thing.

Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly
Clover_IceQueen
Doghouse Reilly

I'm not saying bands aren't allowed to make weird spacey metal, and there are in fact bands that already do. I just think treating it as its own subgenre is silly, especially considering there isn't a whole lot of consistency of sound among bands that have been tagged as astral metal (namely because it's a super vague term that was made up by people who don't understand metal genres).

Shirtless Seeker

Doghouse Reilly

pigeonhole exorelations
Mahou Shoujou Satan-chan
Doghouse Reilly

pigeonhole exorelations

Sounds performed by some guy and recorded on equipment.

(But seriously, I can't. Not because Exorelations can't be fit into a genre, but because I'm currently listening to Lisa Germano and it's affecting my concentration)

Versatile Explorer

Mahou Shoujou Satan-chan
Doghouse Reilly

pigeonhole exorelations

I wish you luck with Beyonce and One Direction! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas