Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields.

By: Moina Michael

The tradition of wearing red poppies in honor of memorial day came from Moina Michael and her poem "We Shall Keep the Faith", inspired by John McCrae’s poem 'In Flanders Fields'. Moina Michael was the first to wear and sell red poppies, donating the money to service men in need. Later a visiting Madam Guerin from France brought the tradition back to her country, the proceeds benefiting orphaned children and widows.

What other memorial day traditions do you know?

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Isn't wearing red poppies a British thing? Or did they do that for a totally different reason?

Man-Hungry Werewolf

7,100 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
We had vets selling tiny little fake poppies in front of our grocery store earlier this week. I didn't have any cash to spare, tho. sad

I don't know what traditions there are other than barbecues, days off, and forgetting all about our men-in-arms for the sake of a good time. Everybody gets drunk and over-stuffed on American food. It's the same day / kind of holiday as Fourth of July, only minus the fireworks.

I don't think I've ever honored the men and women who served our country on this day. It's a sad shame, really.

I hear some people plant flowers on the graves of those who served.

Man-Hungry Werewolf

7,100 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
Super 9-Volt
Isn't wearing red poppies a British thing? Or did they do that for a totally different reason?

Apparently, it's a U.S. thing too?? (see above post) Maybe it's something that came over along with some of our other traditions. Britain is our mother country, after all.

Btw, Toonami does not suck. It's the best stuff gleaned out of Cartoon Network and made into a smaller segment -- one that's not full of crap. And by the way, I'm a child of the 80s. Born in '83. I have a friend I'll be sending your way. He just ranted to me last night about how great it is.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Raymond Jason Foxx
Super 9-Volt

Apparently, it's a U.S. thing too?? (see above post) Maybe it's something that came over along with some of our other traditions. Britain is our mother country, after all.

Btw, Toonami does not suck. It's the best stuff gleaned out of Cartoon Network and made into a smaller segment -- one that's not full of crap. And by the way, I'm a child of the 80s. Born in '83. I have a friend I'll be sending your way. He just ranted to me last night about how great it is.
I don't give a crap when you were born. It doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Blessed Fairy

The poppies are also handed out on Veterans Day (Armistice Day) in some areas. 3nodding

The biggest tradition I know other than the poppies is the planting of the flags over the graves in Arlington. And my church put up flags and banners to honor soldiers and veterans this weekend.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff