Welcome to Gaia! ::

Party Member

User Image

Today is not about an extra day off of work, or a BBQ, or a dip in the pool. Today, 67,000 veterans are homeless. A vet commits suicide once every 80 minutes (one fifth of all suicides in America).

Children are growing up without parents not because their mom or dad lost their lives serving America, but because we cannot care for them when they come back alive.

If you are enjoying this beautiful day, please consider making a donation to a veterans' service organization.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Agreed. It's a sad affair that vets are committing suicide and homeless and they recive little recognition for their service even from their own government. I would recommend an organization like the Fisher House which helps vets and their families when dealing with hospitalization.

5,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
As much as I agree with this whole donation thing, which I do whenever possible, it's really sad, pathetic and hypocritical, to have a country that does not take care of their troops and it takes the charity of citizens, to give out, even when the government that they serve, and let's face it, that's who they serve, don't give a s**t about them.

That's what bothers me and it's shameful of them to be that way with the people that do without questions, do their bidding.

Hygienic Lunatic

As someone that worked at a restaurant today, this holiday has no meaning anymore. It might as well not exist.

Also, even on a holiday, PLEASE tip your damn servers. They live off that money. Assholes.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm not one to give up on a Holiday. even if I'm the last person who gives a damn, that Holiday is still a Holy Day in my heart. so while even one person still feels the importance of remembering, the Holiday remains sacred and has meaning.

myself, I spent the weekend setting up and taking down little fake tombstones with the names of dead soldiers on them along a 5 mile stretch of road. I did it in the rain, with the Veterans for Peace organization. I wasn't even the only kid my age volunteering there. there were others younger than me.

I saw the ages of some of the soldiers who died. kids my age, and even teenagers. all dead. and for what? a stupid war... an operation run by world leaders and governments at the expense of the people. because these fat cats think they can make another quick buck, or build an empire spanning the globe.

I'm disgusted by it. and it's the least thing I can do to keep this Holiday in my heart, and do my part to ease the pain on the soldiers, their families, and the loved ones left behind. to speak up against the corporate war-machine, and government terrorism. to fight imperialism and fascism. to combat tyranny at home.

and I don't limit this day to remembering the soldiers. I also take this day to honour and remember EVERYONE who has sacrificed themselves in the defense of others. because that's what this day is about.

Honouring Heroes.

Kote!
Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.

Mandalorian Song: Vode An
Kinny Fear
User Image

Today is not about an extra day off of work, or a BBQ, or a dip in the pool. Today, 67,000 veterans are homeless. A vet commits suicide once every 80 minutes (one fifth of all suicides in America).

Children are growing up without parents not because their mom or dad lost their lives serving America, but because we cannot care for them when they come back alive.

If you are enjoying this beautiful day, please consider making a donation to a veterans' service organization.

Thank you for reminding everyone. As much as I love the benefits that come along with it, it's called Memorial Day for a reason. Let us not forget the reason why this day is so special.

Playful Phantom

This should be seen... so here's a bump

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas