Welcome to Gaia! ::

TitusOthello's Girlfriend

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
A bit somber of a topic, but what passed loved ones did you visit and plant flowers for?
We did all my passed grandparents, great grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and great great grandparents when we could find them. My dad had me bring my camera to photograph the stones for family genealogy records. It was sad to think about the death of my loved ones, but the whole day was also filled with happy memories of my family.

Man-Hungry Werewolf

7,100 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PunkPoemProse

I wish my family did stuff like that. I mean, I know it's somber and maybe leaves a little bit of a bad taste in your mouth, but I... I know so little about my heritage.
Despite my appearance, I love planting flowers...

I'm not really from a military background family... I know my dad served, but I don't even know if his dad served. I know my mom didn't, but I don't know if my grandpa (only living grandparent left) served. I wouldn't know... what to do.

My dad was in Nam, so he doesn't honor the holiday or want to be honored. At all. it seems. At least my sister made up a plaque for him that has his medals on it. That's... something I was surprised he was happy to receive. I just... really don't know what to do. ...Other than to go to the local VFW and donate money and/or pat some guys on the back!

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Raymond Jason Foxx
PunkPoemProse

I wish my family did stuff like that. I mean, I know it's somber and maybe leaves a little bit of a bad taste in your mouth, but I... I know so little about my heritage.
Despite my appearance, I love planting flowers...

I'm not really from a military background family... I know my dad served, but I don't even know if his dad served. I know my mom didn't, but I don't know if my grandpa (only living grandparent left) served. I wouldn't know... what to do.

My dad was in Nam, so he doesn't honor the holiday or want to be honored. At all. it seems. At least my sister made up a plaque for him that has his medals on it. That's... something I was surprised he was happy to receive. I just... really don't know what to do. ...Other than to go to the local VFW and donate money and/or pat some guys on the back!

It sounds like you're already doing the most important thing, which is caring. The fact that you're interested is the first step. You can find out who served in your family from online records or local town records. Also some passed veterans have plaques on or near their stone. Maybe you could go to a local nursery and buy a couple flowers to plant on the grave of a family member, and while at a cemetery you can look for a plaque. Its a little sad, but it gives you a sense of peace and makes it feel like those that have died will never be forgotten.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PunkPoemProse

I would love for my family to go and plant flowers on my grandfather's grave. The problem is, I don't drive - I live in Maryland and my family comes from Altoona, PA - so even if I wanted to lay flowers, I couldn't get there.

On the other hand, my dad served in Vietnam and I try to encourage him to visit the grave of the only member in his batalion who got killed and lay flowers on his grave. The problem is, the wound is still raw, even after 40 years of his time served in war.

I don't mind laying flowers on graves, the problem is, will it be too much for my father? I mean, he can't even go to the Wall without getting upset, so how do you think laying flowers on his batlion member's grave is going to make him feel?

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Hannah Yeager
PunkPoemProse

I would love for my family to go and plant flowers on my grandfather's grave. The problem is, I don't drive - I live in Maryland and my family comes from Altoona, PA - so even if I wanted to lay flowers, I couldn't get there.

On the other hand, my dad served in Vietnam and I try to encourage him to visit the grave of the only member in his batalion who got killed and lay flowers on his grave. The problem is, the wound is still raw, even after 40 years of his time served in war.

I don't mind laying flowers on graves, the problem is, will it be too much for my father? I mean, he can't even go to the Wall without getting upset, so how do you think laying flowers on his batlion member's grave is going to make him feel?

The fact that you want to do it just shows how much you care heart Maybe because its too far for you to go, you could ask a family member who is closer to plant a few flowers for you and send them a little money to pay for them? Its just an idea of course.
I can only imagine the pain your father must feel for a fellow serviceman and friend to have been killed, and I'm sure everyone can understand why he is still hurting from such a painful experience. I can see it hurting him too much to go himself, but maybe he could go with some fellow surviving battalion members? If not, the fact that he still thinks about his friend and is still upset about his passing just goes to show the amount of respect and comradeship you father has for the man.

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Jazzy563
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

heart

Asylum v2's King

Perfect Conversationalist

13,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
That had to have been a mixed emotions of a day if i have ever heard of one. I am glad you had time to reflect on your passed loved ones and honor them. Both of my grandfathers were in WWII, one in Europe and one in Japan! My grandfather on my dad's side was hard to find in the cemetery but we found him. Oddly enough, he is in the same section of my grandpa on my moms side. we visit the cemetery at least two to three times a year and clean up the graves. this includes of course both grandmothers as they have passed on too.

crying I do miss them of course crying

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Halo Master 05
That had to have been a mixed emotions of a day if i have ever heard of one. I am glad you had time to reflect on your passed loved ones and honor them. Both of my grandfathers were in WWII, one in Europe and one in Japan! My grandfather on my dad's side was hard to find in the cemetery but we found him. Oddly enough, he is in the same section of my grandpa on my moms side. we visit the cemetery at least two to three times a year and clean up the graves. this includes of course both grandmothers as they have passed on too.

Its nice to hear that someone else tends to the graves of their loved ones. Its a little sad, but I like to do it. It gives me a little peace in my heart to let my passed family and friends know that I remember them. Its really interesting about your grandfathers. While I dislike conflict by nature, its awesome that they both served their country through military service! Its odd that they were buried in the approximate same place, but I suppose it makes it easy to visit them both. I'm really glad you shared your story with me. Have a great day biggrin

Asylum v2's King

Perfect Conversationalist

13,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
PunkPoemProse
Halo Master 05

Its nice to hear that someone else tends to the graves of their loved ones. Its a little sad, but I like to do it. It gives me a little peace in my heart to let my passed family and friends know that I remember them. Its really interesting about your grandfathers. While I dislike conflict by nature, its awesome that they both served their country through military service! Its odd that they were buried in the approximate same place, but I suppose it makes it easy to visit them both. I'm really glad you shared your story with me. Have a great day biggrin

well it was kind of weird cause first my grandfather from my dads side died when i was like 4 or 5 and then when i was between 14-16 my grandfather on my moms side passed. both my grandfathers were buried in the same section of the cemetery! which was rather weird but at the same time, rather cool at the same time. Then my grandmother from my dads side died a couple years later. then, back on April 1st of 2008 my last grandparent died. my grandma who we called Baci! which you would say bachi! it was polish for grandma!

the main sad part of them passing was the fact that my younger brother was the only one in our family on my moms side of the grandchildren that didnt have a grandparent alive for his high school graduation. crying

but i know she is looking down on all of us and smiling 3nodding

Worthy Trickster

We're going to my great grandfathers grave.
He died back in Pearl Harbor

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Sigyns Sorrow
We're going to my great grandfathers grave.
He died back in Pearl Harbor

You should be very proud of him, he gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. I hope you have an excellent day!

Married Lover

11,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
My mom plants a tulip in her mom's garden, a red one every year in memory of me. 3nodding

Pure-hearted Punk

26,225 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Mariska_angel_girl
My mom plants a tulip in her mom's garden, a red one every year in memory of me. 3nodding

Aww, thats sweet heart

Animal Citizen

10,850 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Timid 100
My mom, sister, and I always plant flowers on the gravestones of: my grandpa (mom's dad), great-grandparents (mom's grandparents), and my mom's cousin, every year around this time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff