Welcome to Gaia! ::

Psykiapa
I personally really like the button idea, or maybe a balloon or something for our avatars, but I'm wondering if the dhop owners would do it. It seems like it'd take a lot of work to go over everything ... And I honestly don't think it should be a contest. More of a support thing, ya know?

We could have a set of banners with markers for how far you've gotten. Like one for every 10,000 words or so?

Wheezing Regular

Oh wow, this sounds like fun. I'm moving away from my friends all summer, so I could use the distraction. I even have an idea I've been itching to write but I can't get the proper motivation. Whoo I love WriMos!
Wyrd to your mothyr!

SOLID.

The mad, rash fool
I think Geff and I may go for 150000 words... with his approval heart

That's absolutely insane! That's nuts! Do you know how nuts that is? That's nuts like a squirrel who has seized control of a nut truck and is driving it full-tilt towards a cliff in an attempt to crack this nut that (to the squirrel) is roughly the size of all creation. Tires smoking as he rounds the bend, and the radio's blaring Indie rock, while the squirrel upshifts and grins toothily.

I'm ready if we can stretch the plot so far.
I know a site that makes little count down banner things. You can stick in your own background pic and numbers and reason four counting whatever.
My sister's NaNoWriMo from 2003 is about 120,000 right now and she's only about two thirds of the way through, so going from 150,000 this for the summer doesn't sound that crazy to me. Though last year I got 50,003 words, then stopped. Lost all motivation.
Hemp and I are doing this.

Because we're like, joined at the hip or something.
Wow. Wonderful. I'll give it a go. In between renewed dance lessons, summer comlpetion courses, instruments, and crap, I'm sure I can fit this in.

This is wonderful. Someone should hand out a gag present for everyone who finishes, a sketchbok, or beanie, or something of that sort.

I'm so excited, I'm tempted to break out into girly giggles of "OMGOMGOMG". Heck, why not? OMGOMGOMG. heart
NaNo? In the summer? Meaning no school or rehearsal to interfere? whee Woohoo! Sign me up! I've done NaNoWriMo for the past two years, and only made it to about 35,000 each time. 50,000 ought to be easy in the summer if I'm not too lazy or addicted to video games.

Banner deelies would be fun. I don't like the idea of a contest right away, though. Unedited NaNos are usually crappy, and taking time to edit them right away (as I've learned) defeats the purpose of the activity. It'd be cool to post excerpts or links somewhere if we wanted, the way we can on the NaNo site.
Yes, precisely. I think we all agree on some of the general ideas, which is one of the reasons I've stickied this. I've already contacted Rhapsody with a basic outline of what we've talked about recently, and I'm sure she has her own brilliant ideas for what to put in it since she started this whole thing. whee

I suppose we could make a list of people who have not only said they're participating but who have shown us some work, along with a note for how many words they have reached. Maybe a little bar that goes to 100% (or over, in some cases) would be funny. blaugh I don't know.

Hell, I wrote 120,000 in under a month once because I was sick and had nothing else interfering with it. But since I was sick, it's probably not very good and although I still like the idea of the novel, I've been afraid to look at it since! And this was, ironically, the month before I first heard of nanimo.
Sounds really fun, and I might try it.

I don't like the contest idea, though. Not sure why; something about contests turns me off. confused Maybe it's the competition, or maybe it's actually showing my novel to people. (Much as I like to show my writing off to real-life friends, it's likely my NaNo will be something I'll want to hide away forever, though it's fun to write.) The bars sound cool, though. And a contest wouldn't be -so- bad.

A good idea overall, though a thread or two may be a bit cramped for it. I'm probably in. =)
blue_icicle

A good idea overall, though a thread or two may be a bit cramped for it. I'm probably in. =)

Well you could posts the works in progress in the stories/prose section and link to them here?
Penden
blue_icicle

Well you could posts the works in progress in the stories/prose section and link to them here?

But isn't the NaNo community more about helping each other get through the writing than actually reviewing each other's writing? And with a more lenient version I'm sure more Gaians will be doing it.

That would work for the actual stories though.
blue_icicle
Penden
blue_icicle

But isn't the NaNo community more about helping each other get through the writing than actually reviewing each other's writing? And with a more lenient version I'm sure more Gaians will be doing it.

That would work for the actual stories though.

I meant if you wanted to show off! xd

Familiar Phantom

The latter-part contest sounds fabulous. It reminds me of a similar contest I know one Gaian runs ("Twirl a Quill" wink , wherein there are multiple rounds (Title, Tagline, Jacket Insert <y'know, that little preview inside a hardback's cover>, Excerpt, and Chapter). I know there are more parts to it than that, but that's what it reminds me of.

TechGeff <giggle>

Anyway, the count-down thingies sound neat, too- in fiact, I have an idea...

As far as a banner goes, the gold star idea made me giggle. And think. So now that I've had two or three thoughts now, I'm going to go play in paint. XD heart

Familiar Phantom

I played in paint. gonk heart

User Image
A small banner- small enough to be considered a button, that could be used to keep track of where you are, word-count wise. It can easily be edited in Paint. ***As a .PNG file, it will not become fuzzy or pixelated like a .JPG. (.JPG SUX!) (XP) It is simple, not-too-loud, and tasteful. It isn't very exciting, but it also doesn't come across as impudent, prideful, pretentious, or lame.

User Image
The finished WriMos get a gold star. XD

The base is such: User Image
(The star for finished novels can be drawn in with light and bright yellow, with Line Tool and Fill tool, or another distinguishing shape could be used.)

I'm sure someone could come up with a more fabulous base, but the basic idea is that everyone participating is in charge of creating, editing, and maintaining their own "NaNoWriMo Button".

As a button, it functions well: Participants can put it in their signature to link back to this thread, their WriMo blog, or another pertinent location.

Example:

User Image
[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7709907&highlight=][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Ivydoll/Color/NaNo1.png[/IMG][/URL]

User Image
[URL=http://www.blogger.com][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Ivydoll/Color/NaNo2.png[/IMG][/URL]

heart

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Where do I sign up again?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers