Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Borg

Miss-dark8607
CleoSombra
Miss-dark8607
scorpiodragon7
It is sad that schools only celebrate Black History month; I didn't learn about Women's history month until college and even that was through the radio! I got angry last year because people in my state were complaining about kids having to go to school on Martin Luthor King Day to make-up for snow days and this year it was "protected" from being a make-up day--Presidents day isn't even protected! I have nothing against Black History month except when you try to mention another history month someone gets angry and goes back to Black History month. I think we should give ALL history months attention, not just the ones who speak the loudest. I say we celebrate Susan B. Anothony Day and Women's History Month!

THIS. That's why I felt that Gaia should have just went along and did a Women's history month forum. Yes it would have been trolled and spam but still.

I agree. The Hot Topic section is really a great opportunity for Gaia to be more progressive. But, alas.

Well seems like women are getting pushed back into the dark ages anyways so I'm not really shocked with the whole attack on birth control and such.
What makes you think women are being pushed back to the dark ages?

Shameless Player

11,050 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Champion 300
I really wish we had more of an opportunity to study women's history in school (primary and secondary, anyway). We spend an incredible amount of time discussing minority history (especially black history), and my school even offers a class specifically on that, as well as English classes about literature from Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America and Asia. All of this is good--no doubt--but mostly unsurprising since my school has a very large proportion of non-white students and faculty. Women's history, however, tends to be more of a significant side note rather than a main topic. As much as my teachers would like to focus more on women's and feminist history, it simply tends to not be a major part of the curriculum. AP World and US History do cover quite a bit of this subject, I'll admit, so that's a good step, but the focus tends to be on long-past history (such as inequality in ancient cultures or the very first American feminist movements) rather than, say, the 1960s and birth control. My best hypothesis to explain this, and tell me if I'm presupposing far too much, is that society still feels "icky" about discussing birth control, abortion, rape, and the subtly sexist viewpoints still acceptable in our society of late. People still can't seem to agree that Planned Parenthood's establishment, Roe v. Wade, and birth control were all steps forward in our society's progress, so making it a part of a national curriculum taught in both public and private high schools would be too controversial--so it remains largely ignored. We discussed relatively recent events in AP US History, as far up as George W. Bush's presidency. The "War on Terrorism", still a hot-button issue, was considered relevant and appropriate for the curriculum, so why not women's rights for that era?

Witty Raider

7,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
It is sad that schools only celebrate Black History month; I didn't learn about Women's history month until college and even that was through the radio! I got angry last year because people in my state were complaining about kids having to go to school on Martin Luthor King Day to make-up for snow days and this year it was "protected" from being a make-up day--Presidents day isn't even protected! I have nothing against Black History month except when you try to mention another history month someone gets angry and goes back to Black History month. I think we should give ALL history months attention, not just the ones who speak the loudest. I say we celebrate Susan B. Anothony Day and Women's History Month!
Wouldn't Susan B. Anthony be "inside" Women's history month?

Actually Susan B. Anthony day is Feb 15th and International women's day is March 8th. A little late to celebrate them this year, but they do need more attention.

Questionable Borg

scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7

Actually Susan B. Anthony day is Feb 15th and International women's day is March 8th. A little late to celebrate them this year, but they do need more attention.
I know, I was just saying it makes more sense to me to celebrate Susan B. Anthony for a whole month, rather than for just one day.

Witty Raider

7,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7

I know, I was just saying it makes more sense to me to celebrate Susan B. Anthony for a whole month, rather than for just one day.
True, but we do celebrate MLK day and Black history month so I think that to be fair celebrate both.

Spacey Strawberry

CleoSombra
Oh, yes, absolutely yes.

Both men and women are judged for their ability to stay within the gender lines - and some studies show that men are judged more harshly than women. For example, a study on perceptions of traditional and nontraditional parents found that working mothers and stay-at-home fathers were rated less favorably than working fathers and stay-at-home mothers, with the stay-at-home fathers being rated the least favorable. This is probably due in part to the fact that there are very few stay-at-home fathers (only about 2% of fathers stay at home), while the percentage is much higher for mothers.

However, there's also the point that inherent in our society's standard male gender role identity (Brannon, 1970), is the idea that men must reject the feminine - AKA, "No Sissy Stuff." The result of this leads to devaluing feminine traits, especially in men.

The study I'm conducting right now for my honor's thesis looks at perceptions of both women and men in nontraditional gender roles. This study is an extension of what I did for Experimental Psychology, which found that nontraditional men (e.g., male nurse, man doing grocery shopping) was viewed as less attractive then all other groups and less likable than traditional men.

One of the things I'd like to pursue in the future is the influence of priming effects on our perceptions of people who break out of these gender norms - men as well as women. I think something really important in our society is for people to see positive instances of people debunking stereotypes and going against the expected.

Ultimately, though, men are going to have a hard time becoming accepted for feminine traits then women are for masculine ones. Femininity is devalued in our society, so a man that enters the feminine realm is seen as taking a step down. Where a woman entering the masculine realm might be looked at as empowered, or strong for "overcoming" something (her femaleness, society pressure, whatever), men are looked at more negatively because being feminine is not seen as empowering or something to strive for in society.
The way drag queens are treated are a classic example of this. Bullying for being "queer" or "sissy boy" like you said is, yes, another. I don't want to count the number of times I've been spit on by society because of how I am and how I choose to be. This crosses over into homophobia though, so it only serves as evidence that "norms", as ugly as they are, definitely exist and influence.

I'm not going to downplay women's struggles by saying that my own are harder, because in some ways I definitely have it better, I'm no fool, but you are exactly correct that my status as taking care of the home while my partner works weighs on me because of "how I'm supposed to be"/"any luck finding a job" - nevermind that this was only a temporary setup to begin with. We are definitely programmed where men have no place in the home . . . which makes me wince just typing it, thinking about the boys I know that love their positions doing just that.

If I can help you in your pursuit I'll be more than happy to. I've definitely "gone against the grain" in . . . almost everything. Haha.

I totally agree. Whereas women have glass ceilings and sticky floors, we have glass floors and sticky ceilings. Well, I want to say that, but I can't rightfully say that rearing children or taking care of a home is easy. That would be belittling child caretakers and maids everywhere. Not something I want to do.

Kurai Tensei's Husband

Salty Lunatic

9,500 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
ClandestineDuck

I don't believe much of that is really happening the way you interpret it. The reason women are favored in custody battles is because of the traditional view that women are the child rearers.

I don't believe that men being lazy and unproductive is due to women stepping up, and if it is, can you really blame women anyway? But I don't think it is--I think it's just more visible now since women have a greater ability to step up and work and leave a man who isn't pulling his weight, where in the past that simply wouldn't happen.

Traditionally, yes, women are the child rears. However, the extreme feminists demanding women have rights to a huge laundry list of things is not helping any.

I don't believe that women stepping up is the entire cause of the issue, but just one of many causes that has led to poor work ethic. Honestly in the current past few generations men and women both lack the work ethic that our ancestors had. However, I think there is something to say with the increased attention on what the media likes to portray as "the man-child".

Questionable Borg

scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7

True, but we do celebrate MLK day and Black history month so I think that to be fair celebrate both.
True, but at least MLK day is in Feb, (isn't it?)

Witty Raider

7,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7

3rd monday in January.

Questionable Borg

scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7
Mayor Gravity
scorpiodragon7

3rd monday in January.
You'd think I'd know that working with children and having to keep up with when they're out of school. xp

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

I will admit that I shy away from the "girly girls" and try not to associate with them; and that's probably not helping the cause of bringing everyone together. I work with all men and feel that if I show any sign of "girliness" then I loose my proverbial guy-bits.

I also fight people on the gender of colours. I hate it when parents come up to me and ask what's a good girl or boy colour.
Boesen Moo
I will admit that I shy away from the "girly girls" and try not to associate with them; and that's probably not helping the cause of bringing everyone together. I work with all men and feel that if I show any sign of "girliness" then I loose my proverbial guy-bits.

I also fight people on the gender of colours. I hate it when parents come up to me and ask what's a good girl or boy colour.

Generally speaking, in the U.S., anyway, feminine traits are devalued. Being girly is seen as stupid, irrational, etc.

And the color thing is just ridiculous and shows just how much gender impacts *everything* in our lives.

Dangerous Visionary

Mayor Gravity
Miss-dark8607
CleoSombra
Miss-dark8607
scorpiodragon7

THIS. That's why I felt that Gaia should have just went along and did a Women's history month forum. Yes it would have been trolled and spam but still.

I agree. The Hot Topic section is really a great opportunity for Gaia to be more progressive. But, alas.

Well seems like women are getting pushed back into the dark ages anyways so I'm not really shocked with the whole attack on birth control and such.
What makes you think women are being pushed back to the dark ages?

Haven't been keeping up with the news have you?

fReemade Ran's Partner

Omnipresent Traveler

By Dark Ages, they might mean all the rubbish that's been trying to get passed this year. Like the birth control, or the proposed law in Georgia where women would have to go to court under trial after they had a miscarriage. Or the forced ultrasounds, if a woman wants to get an abortion. It seems like women's and LBGT rights are this year's elections hot button. And as a women in the LBGT community it kind bites.
womens history month is the best heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff