Reader count

-1 1 100.0% [ 111 ]
Total Votes:[ 111 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

5,600 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
That is the truest thing that ever came to light.

I loved Sailor Moon as a little girl, it was my first anime, and it taught me all about girl power and being myself. I vaguely remember the anime now, as I was about seven or eight when they finally stopped showing the reruns on Toonami and four when they first aired the show.

I remember loving it unconditionally, but what your are saying is true about the manga. The anime does portray much more masculine-rule overtones than the girl power imagery of the manga. The american censors didn't help things when they chopped the show to pieces to make it 'child friendly'.

Ugh, Sailor Uranus and Neptune as cousins... blasphemy.

Anyway, I'm just so glade that this anime and manga has lasted so long in the limelight. It deserves it. In anime, super buff shonen charater leads and danty damsels in distress rain supreme, it's nice to have a girl kick butt now and again. biggrin

Thank Sailor Moon, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't only not know what anime was. BUT. Also I wouldn't the total maniac fangirl that I am today, and because I am such make so many awesome anime-loving friends.

(And to anwser your question, FYE has pins, magnats, wristbands, one of which I own, necklaces, and t-shirts. Though they are only in junior sizes. stressed Which is irritating.)

Angelic Blob

It's surprising that many people don't know that Sailor Moon's presence in North America was largely because of Canada. Everything from the script, to the music and voice actors were all done by a Canadian studio.

Besides that, why does it seem people have more of an issue with the North American dub, rather than other international dubs? Who have their own share of censorship, name changing, and localization.

Seriously, stop picking.

O.G. Firestarter

22,425 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
Bunai
It's surprising that many people don't know that Sailor Moon's presence in North America was largely because of Canada. Everything from the script, to the music and voice actors were all done by a Canadian studio.

Besides that, why does it seem people have more of an issue with the North American dub, rather than other international dubs? Who have their own share of censorship, name changing, and localization.

Seriously, stop picking.

Probably because that's what most people here are familiar with. neutral

I used to love the show for the interesting female characters. Even Usagi grows out of being a stereotypical teenage girl.

Angelic Blob

Awesome McGee
Bunai

Seriously, stop picking.

Probably because that's what most people here are familiar with. neutral

I used to love the show for the interesting female characters. Even Usagi grows out of being a stereotypical teenage girl.
If they can familiarize themselves with the Japanese version, they can do the same with other versions.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Yogurto
loving this thread! i watched the show religiously as a kid & LOVED it. i remember crying -- weeping is more like it -- during the finale of season 1 when sailor moon has to confront queen beryl. all the other scouts have been eliminated one by one, sailor moon is injured & limping toward beryl...but then she transforms into the moon princess & the spirits of her dead friends help her win! like, HOLY s**t she's standing there fighting tooth & nail & crying out for her friends to help her & they come back FROM THE DEAD TO LEND HER THEIR POWER OMG. i still find that incredibly moving... crying crying crying

ANYWAY i'm gonna agree with a lot of what's been said above. sailor moon, for me, was awesome because it showed that femininity & girliness can be powerful. i was a pretty femme lil boy (still am biggrin ) & sailor moon taught me that i can still be that & kick a**. the fact that makeup & jewelry can be magical & transformative was an eye-opening concept & has matured into my adult love for & fascination with drag & the performative nature of gender. the show/manga also show young people working with magical concepts like the forces of nature, love energy, the zodiac, precious gems, space & time, etc to empower themselves & heal the world. those are concepts that greatly influence my life as an adult, especially my spiritual path of witchcraft.

one thing i think we can critique the show/manga for is its depiction of sexuality. a lot has been said about how the US dub switched neptune & uranus from sapphic lovers to cousins, but what about the grander themes of romance vs. eroticism? think about it: the moon kingdom was initially destroyed just as moon & tuxedo mask (or prince endymion) were moving from courtship to...the next stage in their relationship. i'm not saying that the threat of this young couple having sex led to the end of the silver millennium, but the two events are certainly tied together. throughout the series moon & tuxedo mask are kept in the safe space of romance -- their love is about beauty, not sex. they are 100% virgins.

virginity plays a huge role in the show/manga. moon has a child with tuxedo mask, but she remains a virgin because chibi comes from the future. this allows for a holy family to develop in which the mother is still pure & sexless (kinda like mary & jesus). the imagery surrounding this trio is also super influenced by cultural notions of virginity: when they're all together, their pure love forms the chalice that allows moon to upgrade into super sailor moon. the chalice is an ancient symbol of the womb, feminine power, etc (just read the da vinci code lol) but one that in this case is not marred by sex.

as a contrast to the virginity of moon & the other scouts, the villains are always super sexualized. they're mega busty, flirtatious, crass, etc. they're out to murder our heroines so they're evil, of course, but their villainy becomes tied to their sexualization. they're the exact opposite of our pure little school girls.

while the show/manga does a lot of great cultural work by showing that power can be wrought from traditional feminine sources (makeup, jewels, love) & that young people can employ the magical forces of nature to do good, it also subtly undermines its female characters by forcing them to remain in that holy space of virginity. it's the classic disney princess narrative: females are magical from puberty until sex, & sex should only exist within the confines of a romantic, heterosexual relationship. while they is undeniable, wonderful strength in these virgin goddesses, as an adult i recognize that the story doesn't end there.

WHOA wrote a lot! heart heart heart
Not to mention Sailor Star Fighter's Star Gentle Uterus attack.

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Also: people have said Sailor Mercury is not feminist and is weak.

well... points of her femininity:
1. she is a princess( don't believe? watch the anime and read the manga)
2. she is a genius( oh,she is.)
3. she serves as the "brains" of the group. Her powers are associated with phases of water, and she can use her supercomputer to quickly analyze a foe in battle.( taken from Wikipedia. this is also accurate as I have read the manga and watched the anime)
4.plus, she does not only use mercury bubbles blast. she has other attacks. see wikimoon or wikipedia for more details.

-----

Also: not by me, but more on feminism in sailor moon:

http://www.femspec.org/samples/sailormoon.html

Dangerous Visionary

Gokoa
Miss-dark8607
Now here's some viewpoints from a very awesome Sailor Moon fan in my other thread in the AMC

Gokoa
(gokoa; i knocked out my own words to save space)

well, um... thanks for quoting me.

Told you I would. 3nodding

Dangerous Visionary

Yogurto
loving this thread! i watched the show religiously as a kid & LOVED it. i remember crying -- weeping is more like it -- during the finale of season 1 when sailor moon has to confront queen beryl. all the other scouts have been eliminated one by one, sailor moon is injured & limping toward beryl...but then she transforms into the moon princess & the spirits of her dead friends help her win! like, HOLY s**t she's standing there fighting tooth & nail & crying out for her friends to help her & they come back FROM THE DEAD TO LEND HER THEIR POWER OMG. i still find that incredibly moving... crying crying crying

ANYWAY i'm gonna agree with a lot of what's been said above. sailor moon, for me, was awesome because it showed that femininity & girliness can be powerful. i was a pretty femme lil boy (still am biggrin ) & sailor moon taught me that i can still be that & kick a**. the fact that makeup & jewelry can be magical & transformative was an eye-opening concept & has matured into my adult love for & fascination with drag & the performative nature of gender. the show/manga also show young people working with magical concepts like the forces of nature, love energy, the zodiac, precious gems, space & time, etc to empower themselves & heal the world. those are concepts that greatly influence my life as an adult, especially my spiritual path of witchcraft.

one thing i think we can critique the show/manga for is its depiction of sexuality. a lot has been said about how the US dub switched neptune & uranus from sapphic lovers to cousins, but what about the grander themes of romance vs. eroticism? think about it: the moon kingdom was initially destroyed just as moon & tuxedo mask (or prince endymion) were moving from courtship to...the next stage in their relationship. i'm not saying that the threat of this young couple having sex led to the end of the silver millennium, but the two events are certainly tied together. throughout the series moon & tuxedo mask are kept in the safe space of romance -- their love is about beauty, not sex. they are 100% virgins.

virginity plays a huge role in the show/manga. moon has a child with tuxedo mask, but she remains a virgin because chibi comes from the future. this allows for a holy family to develop in which the mother is still pure & sexless (kinda like mary & jesus). the imagery surrounding this trio is also super influenced by cultural notions of virginity: when they're all together, their pure love forms the chalice that allows moon to upgrade into super sailor moon. the chalice is an ancient symbol of the womb, feminine power, etc (just read the da vinci code lol) but one that in this case is not marred by sex.

as a contrast to the virginity of moon & the other scouts, the villains are always super sexualized. they're mega busty, flirtatious, crass, etc. they're out to murder our heroines so they're evil, of course, but their villainy becomes tied to their sexualization. they're the exact opposite of our pure little school girls.

while the show/manga does a lot of great cultural work by showing that power can be wrought from traditional feminine sources (makeup, jewels, love) & that young people can employ the magical forces of nature to do good, it also subtly undermines its female characters by forcing them to remain in that holy space of virginity. it's the classic disney princess narrative: females are magical from puberty until sex, & sex should only exist within the confines of a romantic, heterosexual relationship. while they is undeniable, wonderful strength in these virgin goddesses, as an adult i recognize that the story doesn't end there.

LOL everyone writes a lot when it comes to Sailor Moon and OMG I didn't even think about the sexuality part. Well done. Although after Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask have sex (and then get married) she becomes nearly immortal so what about that part? Though I guess it doesn't matter cause that's the series finale.

Man I wish I could fit your post in the OP but then no one would read it.

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Tenko72
Yogurto

LOL right??

Sexy Punk

40,340 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Fearsome 200
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Yogurto
Tenko72
Yogurto

LOL right??
Wait what? Must re-read manga.

Fairy

11,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • PvP 200
  • Marathon 300

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
To all who hate sailor moon, there are fans, i will have all of you know that.
----

Here are some interesting sites.

http://gaggingonsexism.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/sailor-moon-leggy-yet-feminist/

http://japaneseliterature.wordpress.com/2011/12/29/sailor-moon-and-femininity/

They hold my views( most of them) on sailor moon.

Also...

without sailor moon, I would be hating myself.( yes, i did hate myself... years ago) . I would also be as shy as Ami, as lonely as Hotaru, ridiculed, thought of as proud( because of my shyness) But over the years, i have found strength in me, to speak up, to make friends, to hold my head high and appreciate myself.]

i have found in myself, an ability to be a part of a team, a person who might be able to be a leader. I am not there yet, but i am on the path to being so.

I refuse to accept that she is materialistic and all about legs and sex. To me, sailor moon is more than that.

Also: Anyone who threatens me because of my views is contemptible.( really, i have been threatened before) and deserves these words: You will not change my point of view on sailor moon! In fact, you have only strengthened my mindset!

so oh yes, sailor moon = feminine power! yeah. biggrin

This also proves how much of a sailor moon fan i am... sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas